Battle of Britain Amateur Colour Footage

Smithy

Back in 2004 or 2005 some rather remarkable footage came to light which was some amateur colour footage shot by a doctor in his back garden during the summer of 1940 and which showed a dogfight taking place overhead. Towards the end of the footage a Hurricane comes roaring past at low level obviously beating it back to base. The footage was shown on telly and I had a copy of it which I had stored on a hard drive. Sadly in all the moving country that I've done in the interim, I've lost the bally hard drive and therefore the footage. I was wondering whether any kind soul here might have the footage and be able to furnish me with a copy to replace mine.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1 month later...

Sorry! I can't help with the footage, but I have been scouring Youtube for it (not found it yet). I remember that it was shown with Dr Stephen Bungay analysing the footage, and I think he pin pointed the raid as the date and location of filming was known. It was utterly fascinating to watch, and I think he said that some of the fighter contrails diving in for the attack would have been 54 Squadron...could be wrong though as it was a long time ago.

Steve

I found reference to film shot by Dr. Victor Don?  That led me eventually to University of Brighton Screen Archive.

http://screenarchive.brighton.ac.uk/detail/5756/

You can see the dogs and some contrails.  Why the video is not available, I have no idea.  Perhaps I missed it, or being on the wrong side of the pond blocks me?

Is this the correct video?

Edited by NoSG0

Great detective work! I could remember that it was filmed by a doctor, but that was about it. Just a shame that it's not available to view. I only get the stills also.

Steve

That is the footage NoSG0 and you are also right Steve it had Bungay talking about it.

I'm kicking myself that I've lost my copy as it was utterly unique.

Fingers crossed some kind soul has it!

• 2 weeks later...