Sea Venom.FAW.21. "Waved off"

Afternoon folk's,here's how the Venom's looking at the moment,the white Iwas dreading took OK once I mask the wing leading edge's and carry the gray

onto the underside's we should be ready for a gloss coat and decal's.

20190501_141036

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Col. said:

The tip tanks add a nice burst of colour :speak_cool:

Cheer's Col she's glossed for decalling so should get finished before the GB's end.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Looking good mate, somehow I must find the extra life to build a Vampire, Venom and Vixen.

Thank's Peter I quite fancy Cyberhobbies Vixen,I know like the Venom it has issue's but has to be better than Hammering Frog's oldie

into shape!

Hi folk's,a couple of issues have come to the fore,the  decal's have a very matt carrier film and are very thick, the walkway warning ones in red

are the worst I had to gloss under and over and won't know till the matt coat is applied if it's worked properly.The chequer board ones for the wing

tank's were useless no way would they conform to the shape's needed so needing to get her finished in time I may leave just plain red for now and 

sort later only the canopy to paint and wheels which are painted to add.

IMG-20190508-WA0000

• Like 2

Fingers crossed the matte coat works like you're hoping.  I suspect it will be fine, I used to do that all the time in the past w/ spraybombs (gloss > decals > matte) and it always seemed to work out.

Looks right tidy though!  😎

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,a couple of issues have come to the fore,the  decal's have a very matt carrier film and are very thick, the walkway warning ones in red

are the worst I had to gloss under and over and won't know till the matt coat is applied if it's worked properly.The chequer board ones for the wing

tank's were useless no way would they conform to the shape's needed so needing to get her finished in time I may leave just plain red for now and 

sort later only the canopy to paint and wheels which are painted to add.

IMG-20190508-WA0000

Looks like a nice little kit!  One thing though on which I MAY be wrong but I believe that only the outside half of each tip-tank carried the checks.  The inside halves were standard colours.

EDIT.  Just found confirmation of this in David Watkins' book on the Venom.  Page 190 shows XG723/490 from the same unit.  The tip & rear end appear to be black!  On the plus side, this might make applying the checks easier?!

Edited by Graham T

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Looks like a nice little kit!  One thing though on which I MAY be wrong but I believe that only the outside half of each tip-tank carried the checks.  The inside halves were standard colours.

EDIT.  Just found confirmation of this in David Watkins' book on the Venom.  Page 190 shows XG723/490 from the same unit.  The tip & rear end appear to be black!  On the plus side, this might make applying the checks easier?!

Thank's Graham so are  the inner facing's of the tank's gray above and white below? if so this make's life a lot easier!

18 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Graham so are  the inner facing's of the tank's gray above and white below? if so this make's life a lot easier!

The tanks were white all over (apart from the checkered outer halves).  My memory was jogged because I built this very machine a few years ago- albeit from the 1/48 CA kit - & its still in the cabinet!  However it seems I missed off the black rear end, which would probably have included the small fin & sort of "complete" the pattern.  Sadly the photo is taken from a low angle so it isn't clear in this regard. 

20190510_164650

• Like 4

Morning folk's,sadly I won't make the deadline for this one,all's well just being my weekend in at work time's run away for the last few job's,Graham's

info has me re-painting the inner tank's and due to the Tamiya white being so thinned it's had six coat's up to now and still not quite there plus me 

throwing away the decal's in a hissy fit means masking and painting the black .Should be done in a few day's so I'll post a photo in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's if I tried to get those tip tank's right one more time I think the kit would have hit the wall! so let's just say the aircraft has just been delivered and waiting to

for the unit colour's to be added.As done as it's going to be.

20190522_104550

20190522_104438

• Like 3