SU-22M4 Fitter Kitty Hawk 1:48

Its been a while since I have posted an RFI (work, travel and children!), but here is the 1:48 KittyHawk SU-22M4 Fitter. Not a kit to cut your teeth on, but certainly not as bad as some of the online reviews would have you think. 

My biggest issues were: 

The multi-part fuselage (take your time and try not to introduce an error, ask me how I know!).

Wing Fences needed a little bit of dry fitting, trimming and fettling (not that difficult).

Pylon locations were indistinct and the instructions were vague and missing detail.

Jet pipe was too long, easy enough to cut out a section.

Nose cone has no wedge shaped splitter, either FOD guard it or use AM.

However there are some very good bits in regards to the kit, the wing fit was exceptional. Huge selection of stores and a plethora of potential options for users both in the kit decals and aftermarket.

Aftermarket used:

Eduard Interior 49829

Eduard Brassin B-8M1 Rocket pods and pylons 648 041

CWS nose cone

Wolfpack resin seat

Master Pitot (very, very fragile) and 

Model Maker decals and stencils (really thin and lots of stencils, instructions got a bit vague with the high numbered stencil identification but they are reccomended)

Paints were Gunze with levelling thinners, oils used for cockpit, seat details, wash and weathering.

I have been informed since taking the pictures that the dorsal spine blade aerial has been updated, so that's a minor job for later this week to scratch and correct.

SU-22M4 (1 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (2 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (4 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (7 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (8 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (11 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (12 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (15 of 23).jpg

SU-22M4 (21 of 23).jpg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 6

Superb Fitter Greg - lovely paintwork and weathering. I agree with your comments - not an easy kit to build but satisfying in the end and with some excellent bits.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2