Valom 1:72 DeHav DH-91 Albatross

I have begun to love Valom as a kitmaker. Not because their engineering is perfect - cuz it isn't - but because their type selections seem tailored specifically to me. I really think the DH-91 is one of the prettiest airliners in history. 

But reality set in pretty quickly. Fit is uncertain, and with a NMF coming up much tension was created. That and absolute piles of PSR dust. When I finally couldn't take it any longer, I did up the paint, which looked good enough after a couple of tries. Markings are from the box (no aftermarket here) and the windows were masked with an Avalon set. Their vinyl masks worked than those hideous label-material ones in the MikroMir kits, but I still prefer kabuki tape. 

Valom will continue to figure large in the 2019 programme. Next up is the B-45, then the Harrow, then the Salmon. When they all get completed is anyone's guess. 

This is completed aircraft #510 (8 aircraft, 1 ordnance, 2 vehicle for the year 2019), finished in March of 2019.

DSC-1381.jpg

DSC-1382.jpg

• Like 47

I used Alclad White Aluminum. It is my go-to for a basic NMF. Given the PSR the model went through, the final color didn't turn out too bad.

The quandary is whether to risk the removal of one large letter and its replacement with another. Still pondering that. If only the workmen hadn't painted the wing registrations on a Monday morning while hung over...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A very nice model, Kevin, of a beautiful, elegant plane.

I agree with your comments on Valom, they have many appealing subjects, but their kits are heavy-handed, and the fit is far from great.

They are no sticklers for accuracy either.

Still, they offer, let's say, a platform.

I used their kit for a F.VII conversion, the model came out nicely at the end, but I had to break the piggy bank to afford the expenses of putty, sandpaper, and primer.

My wife was happy too, since I developed at the time a powerful musculature due to all that sanding.

Cheers

• Haha 2

A nice job on a beautiful, graceful almost chic design.

Nice silver finish but it should be pointed out that the airframe was largely made of wood a la the later DH masterpiece, The Mosquito so not NM.

Shame about the registration error - that is the kind of thing I always do and spend days trying to put it right. Depending on what you will do with the model, you might just leave it. If like me however you take your models to shows - well I would be laughed out of town by my club members! At least you noticed it yourself unlike a friend who built a Gloster Meteor with one large intake and one small one and proudly displayed it until the error was pointed out to him!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

I used Alclad White Aluminum. It is my go-to for a basic NMF. Given the PSR the model went through, the final color didn't turn out too bad.

The quandary is whether to risk the removal of one large letter and its replacement with another. Still pondering that. If only the workmen hadn't painted the wing registrations on a Monday morning while hung over...

I was always wondering where to use white aluminum, guess it's good for a painted look.

7 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

As it turns out, the fuselage registration was what needed to be changed. The wing one was correct. It's already done, and I'll download some photos the next time I'm lounging down near the photo booth. 

Whew! Glad it wasn't too big a job to fix!

Cheers

Malcolm

On 3/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

I was always wondering where to use white aluminum, guess it's good for a painted look.

Yes, Alclad White Aluminum is good for a painted/doped look. If I was doing a true NMF, I likely would use one of the darker aluminum shades overall and then spice it up with occasional patches of other Alclad shades. I'm giving the Anigrand XB-51 some serious consideration (again) so that might make a good paint mule for experimenting with this. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Yes, Alclad White Aluminum is good for a painted/doped look. If I was doing a true NMF, I likely would use one of the darker aluminum shades overall and then spice it up with occasional patches of other Alclad shades. I'm giving the Anigrand XB-51 some serious consideration (again) so that might make a good paint mule for experimenting with this. 

Like to see it when you start that, see how the colours look.I haven't experimented much. I did take a junk truck sleeper and tried some different base colours and Alclads.

Great model of a lovely aircraft. This particular Albatross met an untimely end when it began disintegrate in mid air while landing at Shannon Airport in 1943. It was destroyed on landing but luckily the only casualty was an unfortunate goat minding his own business in a field. Four members of BOAC's board and other executives were travelling on the aircraft. 

The Albatrosses were grounded and replaced with Whitleys. A very unlovely aeroplane. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...