3 Sqn Javelin T3 details requested

rholland

Apparently there were 2: XH444 (1/9/59 to 2/1/61) and XH446 (1/9/59 to 25/5/60).  Both were uncoded.  This info from Roger Lindsay's Cold War Shield Vol3 p.272.  No photos of either so can't confirm whether or not green stripe present but can't understand why a squadron would tardy in imposing its identity on an aircraft.  Other ambiguities you may feel you need to resolve: serial colour - originally was in black but "some" had it repainted in white; and was there a small squadron badge on the port side of the nose (again "some aircraft").

• Like 1

Good evening Richard and Seahawk.

I have a "pile" of Javelin books so I can check those for you. Thanks to Seahawk we have serials to look after🙂  I'm on a work trip and back home on Friday.

Cheers,

Antti

In Lindsay's booklet on the Javelins Mks 1-6 he says that the T3s were marked as per their regular squadron counterparts unless otherwise described. He then goes on to set out the T3 marking schemes for a number of the squadrons operating the aircraft. For 3 Squadron he just notes the two aircraft serials mentioned by Seahawk. So you might infer from that the green bands were present. Sadly no pics of 3 squadron T3s to prove it definitively!

Pat

Hello Richard, Pat and Seahawk,

I'm back home and checked the following books:

- "Gloster Javelin, the RAF's First Delta Wing Fighter" by Richard A. Franks

- "Gloster Javelin" by Maurice Allward

- "Gloster Javelin, An Operational History" by Michael Napier

- "Gloster Javelin" (Warpaint series) by Tony Buttler

- "Javelin From the Cockpit" by Peter Caygill

I couldn't find a single photo showing a 3 Squadron T.3. There weren't any profiles either.

Photos showed only fighters and it seems that a large white identification letter was carried on the fin just below the green band. The green band was on the fin only; not on the rudder. On the other hand there are photos showing that only the squadron markings were carried. Depending on the photo it seems that the white identification letters first appeared during 1959.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1