JPEG types

LaurieS

I use Serif Page Plus for editing etc of pictures

When going to export I am faced with this array of JPEGs which to me nothing at all.

JPEG Interchange Format
JPEG 2000 (J2X)
JPEG XR

For placing pictures on this forum which would be considered the best ?

Laurie

It really shouldn't make much difference. Why not try converting a known image into each of the formats then comparing?

You may find that having chosen your variety of jpeg, you'll have the opportunity of deciding how much compression to apply (more compression results in a smaller file size). That will vary from image to image and experimentation will quickly show you how much compression you find acceptable.

Also, note that you can't "place pictures on the forum". You'll need to load the pictures to an photo hosting site (eg Village Photos) and then insert a link into your post so the relevant image is shown. There's a very helpful guide in the FAQ forum.

I hope that's helpful...

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

It really shouldn't make much difference. Why not try converting a known image into each of the formats then comparing?

You may find that having chosen your variety of jpeg, you'll have the opportunity of deciding how much compression to apply (more compression results in a smaller file size). That will vary from image to image and experimentation will quickly show you how much compression you find acceptable.

Also, note that you can't "place pictures on the forum". You'll need to load the pictures to an photo hosting site (eg Village Photos) and then insert a link into your post so the relevant image is shown. There's a very helpful guide in the FAQ forum.

I hope that's helpful...

Brian you are up for the Nobel.

Thanks for that why did i not think of that ?

Thanks Laurie

• Like 1

It's a pleasure, Laurie.

#I've been involved in video production since video was actually tape, so I've picked up a lot of knowledge about jpeg through necessity.

It's a confusing subject. In fact there are many, many variations of jpeg and you could probably do a Master's degree just to get an overview of them all. What it comes down to, though, is how does the image look to you?  

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos :thumbsup:

Brian

4 hours ago, bhouse said:

It's a pleasure, Laurie.

#I've been involved in video production since video was actually tape, so I've picked up a lot of knowledge about jpeg through necessity.

It's a confusing subject. In fact there are many, many variations of jpeg and you could probably do a Master's degree just to get an overview of them all. What it comes down to, though, is how does the image look to you?  

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos :thumbsup:

Brian

Interesting. After retiring from a 50 year architectural stint I used my favorite past time

to keep the mind busy.

Started a small business. Me. Did everything from Documentaries adverts & about a 100 weddings.

On the Weddings I used 4 cameras in the Church & at the reception.

But did not get mixed up in JPEG.

Thanks again.

Laurie

• 4 weeks later...