497 TFS F-4 Chaff bombers Linebacker 1972

Kari Lumppio

Hello!

I've read and been rereading Osprey book "Operation Linebacker II 1972".

Now if I wanted to build an historically accurate 1/72 497 TFS "Chaff bomber" from Linebacker II where would I find info about:

• Correct tail numbers and other relevant data
  • photos, of the planes
    • preferably with the "nite owl" emblem, if used at the Linebacker II period
    • preferably with the LORAN antenna
    • black undersides?
  • load info
    • the book says one ALE-38 and four to six M-129 - on what pylons, what type of pylons etc.
    • type of ECM pod(s) carried?
    • external fuel tanks?

The book has one painting, but am not sure how reliable it is a reference.

Is there 1/72 decals available for 497 TFS Phantoms?

ALE-38 seems to exist in Revell 1/32 Phantom, but I couldn't find one on my old Revell 1/72 F-4F remaining sprues, Is such pod available in kit or resin form?

M-129 chaff/leaflet bomb. Where to find in 72nd?

Phantoms being not my forte any good advice is welcomed.

Cherers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
typo

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, Kari Lumppio said:

M-129 chaff/leaflet bomb. Where to find in 72nd?

You would have to scratch them, it looks like an M117 750 lb bomb or an SUU-30 CBU might work as a basis.  Both are available in Hasegawa weapons sets.

Regards,

Murph

nn83YBU.png

• Like 2

Hello!

Thanks gentlemen. Wolfpack seems indeed have couple of decals for 1972 birds. (in 1/72 and 1/48).

Where would I find good photo(s) of 497 TFS Chaff bombers? Or is there any? Even book or an magazine article. It looks like most of the internet photos are from late 60's and even the subtype might be wrong?

Alternativley where can I find tail numbers of 497 TFS Phantoms during Linebacker II?

If there was only one ALE-38 carried on the ECM missions it must have been on centerline? M-129s would be carried how, tandem, double, triple? Something whiixh one good photo could solve. And what would hjave been the ECM pod if carreid?

Sorry about so many questions. Usually I find what I need by googling, but not now.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

I find this website helpful when looking for certain aircraft, especially the F-4. This guy's tries to sort out multiple pictures by airframe serial numbers and put them together. On top of that he adds information about units each aircraft served in. 

https://oldsargesaircraft.blogspot.com/search/label/F-4 Phantom?m=0

Also the 497th has a website that will be useful. I'm sure you could ask them a few questions if unable to find answers elsewhere.

http://497niteowls.com

• Thanks 1

On pg 48 of this report:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a487182.pdf

(a large file) says 9 M-129 chaff were carried initially. My guess is 2 on each inboard pylon TER and 5 on the c/l MER. ECM pod(s) in forward missile well(s) and 2 Sparrows in the aft wells along with external tanks on the outboard pylons.

Jari

• Like 1