1/48 RAF Tornado Gr.4 ~ 617 Sqn

Thank you all again.

17 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Awesome Tornado, great finish. Pity they goes in retired time there, the german Tornado fleet have to fly till 2035, the actually planning

2035 seems a very long time away. Are they planning a regeneration or update? 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, colin said:

Very nice, looks like you overcame the fit issues very well indeed.

I think Eduard missed a chance with their reboxing of the Tornado, they've picked the wrong mark I think, especially with the retiring of them from RAF service

I totally agree with Colin, you've got a great fit and fabulous finish on this model.

Tempted by the Eduard F3 boxing but a GR4 would be more fitting.

Mike

Lovely finish! Albeit the wrong squadron!!!!! (If it ain’t 31 or IX(B) it’s the wrong squadron! - no offence intended!).  Couldn’t make out the serial - is it ZD714?  If so, I last flew it when it was an unmarked GR1 in July 1997 on Exercise Cope Thunder in Alaska.  My navigator on that occasion went on to become an illustrious commander of the Goldstars!  Really impressed by your rendition! Well done! If I could politely point out that GR Tornados were nearly always parked in 25 wing, ie wings fully forwards. 

Edited by feifeitim
Spelling!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, feifeitim said:

Lovely finish! Albeit the wrong squadron!!!!! (If it ain’t 31 or IX(B) it’s the wrong squadron! - no offence intended!).  Couldn’t make out the serial - is it ZD714?  If so, I last flew it when it was an unmarked GR1 in July 1997 on Exercise Cope Thunder in Alaska.  My navigator on that occasion went on to become an illustrious commander of the Goldstars!  Really impressed by your rendition! Well done! If I could politely point out that GR Tornados were nearly always parked in 25 wing, ie wings fully forwards. 

Well this is the first time I have had a message from someone who has actually flown the airframe that I have modelled! I am glad you like the build, there can't be much of a greater accolade than that.

You are right, it is ZD714. To be honest I never researched the serial and squadron, I just went with the kit decals. Very interesting though and thanks for pointing it out. This has got me thinking, would aircraft generally stay in the same Squadron or would they move around over the years? 

Thank you you for the info on the wing sweep angle. I wasn't exactly sure what position they would be in so I just went in the middle. I've put them out to 25 in the display cabinet now, and I think it looks a lot meaner!

Aircraft moved around the squadrons a bit, particularly after squadrons folded.  There were also airframes that were away in Saudi all of the time when I was flying, and these didn’t always go back to the squadron that sent them and were then given different squadron codes.  When aircraft went in for the GR4 upgrade, they inevitably went back to another squadron.  An example would be ZG771 which was 31 Sqn’s “DW” a 2-stick bird and my favourite airframe, after GR4 upgrade it became “AZ” on IX(B) Sqn. It also managed to survive to nearly the end of the Tornado. 

The F3 crews liked to park and taxi their jets in 67 wing (made them smaller!), but we only ever moved the wings back once airborne.  It was far easier to move the underwing stores with the wings forward and it was also easier to test the flaps and slats as that couldn’t be done with the wings in 67.

• Like 1

Great looking build with a cracking paint job. Well done. Defo a nice tribute to the retiring gal Tonka. I believe they still have alot to give... But hey-ho... Off to the scrap heap they go 😑 Nice tribute build. They deserve it!

• Like 1

Nice work. I want to tackle this one day

On 3/18/2019 at 5:04 AM, colin said:

I think Eduard missed a chance with their reboxing of the Tornado, they've picked the wrong mark I think, especially with the retiring of them from RAF service

Totally agree. We can only hope they do the GR4.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 21:27, DAG058 said:

Thank you all again.

2035 seems a very long time away. Are they planning a regeneration or update? 

Yes they got already an update in form of ASSTA 3.0 ( Avionics System Software Tornado in Ada ) and i think in nearly future it gets more updates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/17/2019 at 12:04 PM, colin said:

Totally agree, although I think they hinted in an editorial they were releasing a GR version at a later date.

Edited by Scooby

On 2/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, thepureness said:

Can u ask what paint you used on the nose cone? 

I think that it may just be Ultimate grey primer, I'm sure I was happy with colour so I didn't bother painting it. I don't tend to go for exact matches so it might not be the perfect shade. The rest is done in Hataka Barley Grey. I hope this helps!