1/72 Type IXc U-Boat (U505 Early) Revell 05114 Now complete

Andy - sincere apologies that I haven't commented on this outstanding Build in RFI.

Beautifully finished and presented.

What paint and colours did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, robgizlu said:

Andy - sincere apologies that I haven't commented on this outstanding Build in RFI.

Beautifully finished and presented.

What paint and colours did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Rob

Thanks Rob.

The paints are nearly all Vallejo Model Air.

I have a limited range of colours so spray test cards with different mixes, adjusting them to get them as I like.

The deck is a 3:1:1 mix of 71.049, 71.057 and 70.983 (Model Colour)

The upper hull and conning tower is a 4:3 mix of 71.001 and 71.050.

The lower hull is a 4:1 mix of 71.049 and 71.001.

I find mixing from what I have is a lot easier than trying to buy exactly the right colour.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, longshanks said:

Wonderful !

Kev

Thanks very much Kev.

Andy.

After spending some time looking at the pictures I am not really impressed with the outcome......... Just kidding. Fantastic work and detail. Well done.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely brilliant !

I've thrown mine away in the bin after looking at your pictures, one can only strive to your level.

Can I ask how you went about weathering the propellers and the anchor. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, Mike. said:

After spending some time looking at the pictures I am not really impressed with the outcome......... Just kidding. Fantastic work and detail. Well done.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:37 PM, IanJohnB said:

Amazing - love the detail and the weathering.

Thanks very much guys.

40 minutes ago, paul1234 said:

Absolutely brilliant !

I've thrown mine away in the bin after looking at your pictures, one can only strive to your level.

Can I ask how you went about weathering the propellers and the anchor. 

Thanks Paul,

The propellers are sprayed with a blue/grey Vallejo mix then lightly dry brushed with Humbrol Gold enamel. I over did it with the gold so dulled it back again with a light dusting of Vallejo dark grey.

The anchor is dark grey car primer, dry brushed with Vallejo Flat Earth.

Cheers,

Andy.

• 1 year later...

So glad this got resurrected from the depths of the forum, otherwise I might have missed it! Superb modelling, I wish I had a display cabinet man enough to hold something this size :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

ANDY,
Awesome U-Boat!!!

Working on one myself just trying to get everything together.

Started it many years ago but now have completely taken apart what I've assembled and am starting over.(Skills are better)

Did you use the Archer rivet set? Looks like you sanded them all off and replaced. I think the original ones on my boat are over exaggerated.

I hope mine turns out half as nice!!

LOOKS GREAT!!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the other one! You've pasted a picture of a real sub onto a pic of your home. Glad this older post has popped into my life as this is just stunning. I like a lot of weathering, mainly I am ashamed to say,  to hide my mistakes, but this just shows that less is more and my 'approach' is completely wrong.

If it's still behind the sofa, I am more than willing to take it off your hands, but seriously consider getting this thing into a museum, preferably one close to me.

David

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, URBAN6 said:

Did you use the Archer rivet set? Looks like you sanded them all off and replaced. I think the original ones on my boat are over exaggerated.

LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Sorry for the late reply chaps. Somehow didn't get any notifications through.

Thanks for the comments, good to see it getting noticed.

The rivets were sanded back and left barely showing. If any disappeared during the process, I didn't worry as they should be barely visible at this scale anyway.

To replace rivets when required, I just used tiny dabs of PVA glue applied with the point of a nail.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:08 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Pull the other one! You've pasted a picture of a real sub onto a pic of your home. Glad this older post has popped into my life as this is just stunning. I like a lot of weathering, mainly I am ashamed to say,  to hide my mistakes, but this just shows that less is more and my 'approach' is completely wrong.

If it's still behind the sofa, I am more than willing to take it off your hands, but seriously consider getting this thing into a museum, preferably one close to me.

David

Thanks David. You're right, less is definitely more. Although I do sometimes think about adding a little more staining, fading and rust.

In the flesh, the weathering is less noticeable than in the pictures.

I'm on the brink of building another 1:72 Type VII but this time converted into a Flakboot with some scratch building.

Maybe I'll venture into a bit more weathering with that one. Not too much though.

Regards, Andy.

• Like 1