Revell Halifax Mk II - I'm stuck on which bits to use

Mark Harmsworth

I don't know where you'd even get half decent 4-blade Halifax props if you wanted them. The Revell supplied ones are crap! Not even close to reality. I don't know of any after-market ones either. I do have some older, white-metal Aeroclub 4-bladers, but they were made of the Matchbox kit and the spinners are too small for the Revell cowlings.

Chris

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I don't know where you'd even get half decent 4-blade Halifax props if you wanted them. The Revell supplied ones are crap! Not even close to reality. I don't know of any after-market ones either. I do have some older, white-metal Aeroclub 4-bladers, but they were made of the Matchbox kit and the spinners are too small for the Revell cowlings.

Chris

I agree - hence the mild panic. The kit four blade prop seems even more wrong than the three blade - as if that were possible.

Mark

The prop on the left is the Revell prop with the spinner sitting on the hub. The one on the right is the Aeroclub white metal casting, made for the Matchbox kit.

40704478333_510a6e5f65_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

It is astonishing how wrong those blades are. At least they got the pitch right... You could try to sculpt a more accurate shape out of the existing blades. It looks like that at least there's too much blade - it would be possible to carve or sand away material and end up with something resembling what it's supposed to be.

I know this has been discussed before, but that type of Halifax propeller should look a lot like the blades found on late mark Hurricanes - are they the same? You could mistake Revell's representation for a P-51 propeller.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elger said:

It is astonishing how wrong those blades are. At least they got the pitch right... You could try to sculpt a more accurate shape out of the existing blades. It looks like that at least there's too much blade - it would be possible to carve or sand away material and end up with something resembling what it's supposed to be.

I know this has been discussed before, but that type of Halifax propeller should look a lot like the blades found on late mark Hurricanes - are they the same? You could mistake Revell's representation for a P-51 propeller.

Yes, the Halifax was fitted with wood blade Rotol props, both 3 and 4 bladers.

Chris

22 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Yes, the Halifax was fitted with wood blade Rotol props, both 3 and 4 bladers.

Chris

Maybe I'll just buy four of these and save myself all that sanding.

Hmmm - that started as a joke but I'm now actually thinking about it. Those are nice clean prop blades.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72215

Rotol props, but not the spinners that come with aftermarket Rotol props which are normally those on the Spitfire or Hurricane.  A set of Matchbox spinners will do, IIRC.  A Matchbox kit would allow you to replace other things that are wrong with the Revell kit, particularly the wheels, and with a bit of work the ailerons.  The main problem I found with the Revell propellers was that they were designed to fit in a too-large spinner, something no amount of reshaping the outer part of the blade will help.  I did carve down a full kit's worth of Matchbox props, but as they need reshaping in chord shape and thickness, I wouldn't actually recommend it other than in desperation.

Freightdog did replacement parts for Merlin Halifaxes including props, but I can't find them in their current lists.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkH206 said:

Maybe I'll just buy four of these and save myself all that sanding.

Hmmm - that started as a joke but I'm now actually thinking about it. Those are nice clean prop blades.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72215

I'm not sure if the diameter of the Hurricane prop is as large as a Hally prop. That would need checking.

I've got this:

Halifax props:

40714828383_835fa715e1_b.jpg

Hurricane Mk.I props:

40714828493_8cc200f7b5_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Rotol props, but not the spinners that come with aftermarket Rotol props which are normally those on the Spitfire or Hurricane.  A set of Matchbox spinners will do, IIRC.  A Matchbox kit would allow you to replace other things that are wrong with the Revell kit, particularly the wheels, and with a bit of work the ailerons.  The main problem I found with the Revell propellers was that they were designed to fit in a too-large spinner, something no amount of reshaping the outer part of the blade will help.  I did carve down a full kit's worth of Matchbox props, but as they need reshaping in chord shape and thickness, I wouldn't actually recommend it other than in desperation.

Freightdog did replacement parts for Merlin Halifaxes including props, but I can't find them in their current lists.

Graham has got that right. The Matchbox props aren't that great either. Here is a comparison of the various Halifax props that I have.

46765115425_271087d5fa_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks to all on this. I've come to my senses (as much as that is possible!) and am about to start gently sanding my AML resin blades.  As I've said in my WIP build thread, I find it very frustrating that resin replacement blades should require so much work to get them presentable. There's plenty of examples of other companies who get that right and provide good quality clean blades. 

thanks again

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the size of the code letters for my Mk V which I am sure has been asked and answered before but my searching hasn't found it.

My understanding is that the serial number and the code letters should be dull red. The serials 8 inches high and the code letters 48 inches high.

Hannants have two xtradecal sets for the code letters:

- 48" high x 30" x 6" stroke  

- 48" high x 24" x 6" stroke

It looks like the choice is 30 or 24 inches wide if I've understood that right. I'm thinking that the wider set looks right but I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks

Mark

Many years ago I did conversion of Airfix Halifax to Merlin driven one and I have used spare Airfix Lancaster (~1980 mould) prop blades for both 3 and 4 blades. Spinners were resin copies of those from Matchbox. So I will suggest Lancaster props...

35471319044_731a1b37a2_b.jpg&key=2bdcbbb 

More photos here

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Thanks for the info on the props. I persevered with the AML set and after a lot of gentle sanding the props looked more or less ok. There were a few pin holes which I had to fill but the end result is certainly better than the kit offerings.

Like this.

gjZw7x8l.jpg

Edited by MarkH206
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkH206 said:

but the end result is certainly better than the kit offerings.

That wouldn't take much. Those Revell props suck ( insert your preferred anatomical bits here )!

Chris

• Like 1