Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001 'Full View'

Very cool effect/idea.  I don't know I would have the courage to change the look so drastically.  The work is excellent so please continue posting.

JCH

• Like 1

Thanks! Not sure if it's courage though, more stupidity!

For example, I'm now looking at the engine cover, which is made up of several parts. There are numerous ejection pin marks, which I've made a start on, but clearly need a lot of work!

spacer.png

Here's what I reckon I have to do to get the above parts done...

1. Get rid of the ejection pin marks.

2. Completely mask (inside and out) the half that's staying clear.

3. Prime in black the inside of the other half, and associated parts, and then mask it off

4. Prime in pink the outside of the other half and associated other parts.

5. A couple of coats of red over the pink. 

6. Assemble that half. 

7. Final red coats.

8. Mask out the exhaust section on that half, spray it black and then mask over it.

9. Remove all masks from the clear half, leaving only the masks on the inside black and outside exhaust black sections.

10. Assemble the clear half and then Ultra Gloss all over the whole completed engine cover.

11. Cut Decals in half and apply them to one half of the piece.

12. More Ultra Gloss all over.

13. Unmask the inside black, put some normal gloss over it.

14. Carbon fibre decals over that inside black section, and then matt coat over that.

15. Aluminium foil over some of that Carbon Fibre Section.

16. Remove any remaining masks.

So that's a lot of work for an engine cover, and I still don't know how to get rid of the ejection marks really well, and I don't know the best glue to use that will dry completely clear for the clear sections I'm gluing together that won't have paint on them.

There's a fine line between a mental exercise and just bloody mental... :)

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

So that's a lot of work for an engine cover, and I still don't know how to get rid of the ejection marks really well, and I don't know the best glue to use that will dry completely clear for the clear sections I'm gluing together that won't have paint on them.

There's a fine line between a mental exercise and just bloody mental... :)

This is the stuff I've started using instead of Clearfix. Not only does it dry stronger, but in appearance it very much resembles the windscreen on models so shouldn't show up too bad. Apply with a cocktail stick as you would Clearfix. As an added bonus, because it's activated by UV light, if you get some on where it shouldn't be you have a good chance of wiping it off, it won't set halfway through trying to place something, and if you get the UV light torch they always advertise alongside you can dry the stuff within a minute. It will set in normal light too but will take longer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076RHF9NG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you may gather, I'm quite impressed. No use for non-clear parts though as you need to get light onto the resin to set it. Feel free to ignore if that's not what you want.

• Like 1

Thanks Spiny, that looks very interesting, will definitely order some. And I get a UV Torch as well, what's not to like? 😎

As it happens, I've chickened out (ha, autocorrect changed this to 'thickened out', which unfortunately is also true!) and decided to once again delay working on the clear plastic. Most of the additional detail in this build is from me avoiding that clear plastic! So I'm going to work on finishing the engine compartment first. This will involve gluing in the other radiators, adding some scratch-built radiator pipes and wiring etc., and finish painting/weathering the exhausts and adding them in too. Once that is done then there's really nothing left for it, I have to face those ejection pin marks!

One side of the engine compartment done. There's still some dry-fitting here, the 'junction box' is only temp. stuck on to the back of the monocoque, and the exhaust sensor is only dry-fitted as the exhaust aren't finished yet, but it gives a decent idea of how it will look...

spacer.png

The lower silver radiator pipe, the various black tubing and the red covers and exhaust sensor are all scratch-built. Fairly basic, but it gets the message across.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well I'm afraid this has gone on the back burner! I got the wiring done on the other side of the engine, but then life got in the way and I lost my Modelling Mojo and haven't been to the bench in nearly three months. 

So it's now parked in the garage and I'm started a far simpler kit to see if I can get my mojo going. I will eventually get back to this, so watch this space!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Guess who's back! :)

After not going near modelling for 3 or 4 months, I finally got back and did a mojo build to get things going again (which you can see here if you're so inclined!).

With that done I've started on another build, but I've also looked back in the Ferrari box, and in a vary rare event for me I am now working on two models!

I spent some time over the weekend working on the scratch marks left behind after getting rid of the injection marks on the engine cover. It took a lot of sanding and polishing, but I got it to a state that at least shows it's doable! A couple of scratches can still be seen if you catch the light just right (as I did in the pic below, you can see them in the bottom left of the part), but apart from that I'm happy with it, and I might just take another sanding cloth to it at some stage later in the build.

spacer.png

Next up then is masking. Firstly, all one side, which will remain clear for the rest of the build...

spacer.png

It's gonna be a while before that tape comes off!

I've also now masked the sections on the left half (inside and out) that *won't* be black, and I hope to spray the rest of them black this evening. Then I'll mask those black sections at some stage, and put pink undercoat and then red on them. 

Good to be building again! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update. Got the inside primed black and the outside (and some of the inside that can be seen from the outside!) primed pink...

spacer.png

Then I did a couple of coats of red before using the UV Resin glue to add some extra bits and finish it all off with more red. Here's how it looks now...

spacer.png

The UV Resin glue wasn't great, though to be fair I was sticking two painted parts together (as a test of the Resin) and I'll see how it works with the clear parts later, as you'd expect the UV light to go through the clear parts to the Resin, but not through the painted parts! Some research on here tells me that the last thing I want to do is spray AK Ultra Gloss on any clear plastic as it'll just ruin it, so that's going to change my plans a little. I was going to unmask the clear part now, and gloss it all, but instead I'll leave it masked and gloss the red side, put on decals, and then more gloss and then unmask the clear side. It's just going to be awkward as I've noticed excessive handling can dull the gloss finish, and I was hoping to barely handle the plastic after glossing it.

Anyhow, next update will be after gloss/decals, whenever I get to it! :)

• Like 2

I'm late to the party, but I love the concept of half and half.  What you have done so far is pretty amazing work, especially compared to my skill level.  Its why I love following builds like this, gives me motivation to do better, and try new things like scratch building detail etc.  I'm looking forward to the finished model :) 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! Though I have to say, I'm very far out of my comfort zone, and my reaction to this just seems to be to go further out of that zone! It's like I'm worried about trying to actually finish the kit, so instead I'm finding new things to do with it! Like at the moment I'm testing to see if different types of gloss varnish (Klear, Aqua Gloss, Guazy) will give a protective undercoat on the transparent plastic, so that I can spray AK 2 Component Ultra Gloss over both painted and transparent parts. None of which is getting me closer to the finish line! :)

• Like 1

Another little update...

I'd almost given up on the idea of putting AK Ultra Gloss all over the parts (painted and clear) due to potential damage from the AK Ultra Gloss to the clear parts, which meant I was going to have to leave the clear parts masked until near the very end, which could be really awkward within the build. Then a friend of mine suggested that I could use another gloss to basically undercoat the AK Ultra Gloss and protect the clear plastic from it. So the testing started! I got some clear sprue from the kit and covered half of each one in tape (to represent the clear part of the kit) and then labelled the other end with what Gloss undercoat was going to be on it (None at all, just AK Ultra Gloss - to see if it did damage it, and Klear, Aqua Gloss and Gauzy Intermediate Agent). That gave me 5 little rods to work with...

spacer.png

Next up was some pink undercoat and Zero Paints Red on the unmasked sections, and then removing the masks apart from on one of them (the one that was going to remain completely unglossed - representing leaving the clear parts masked until the very end). Then I sprayed Klear, Aqua Gloss and Gauzy onto one each of the pieces, and left them for a couple of days...

spacer.png

Next step in the testing that was spraying all five of them with AK Ultra Gloss and once again leaving them for a couple of days, before removing the last of the masking tape and comparing the results...

spacer.png

What was immediately clear to me (pardon the pun!) was that the AK Ultra Gloss on its own had definitely frosted the clear part, as expected. And the one that had no gloss at all on it, while better than the AK UItra One, wasn't as shiny as the other three. The other three, to be fair, all seemed to do a good job of protecting the clear plastic from the AK Ultra Gloss and keeping it nice and shiny! So, decision made, I don't have the leave the clear parts masked until the end.

I do still have to decide which 'undercoat' gloss to put on though. Realistically, as I can't see much difference between the three glosses, I'll probably go with either the Klear or the Guazy, as they both brush on nicely, and I might as well make it easy on myself and brush the gloss undercoat on over only the clear parts, then letting that cure before putting AK Ultra Gloss all over it, in preparation for the decals.

With all that done, I knew I could unmask the clear half of the Engine Cover, and I also used the UV Resin glue to stick on the additional parts on that side, so it'll be ready for the gloss undercoat. I have to say, from what I can see, the UV Resin is working a lot better now that I'm actually sticking clear plastic parts to each other, not painted ones! :) So here's how the engine cover looks now, waiting for the gloss undercoat, with only the inside of the painted half still masked (as it'll get Carbon Fibre Decals and silver foil, not Ultra Gloss....

spacer.png

That's it for now, thanks for watching!

• Like 3

Just a little update. I brush painted some Gauzy onto the clear and painted halves, left it for a few days, then put a couple of coats of Ultra Gloss on it and left that for a couple of days. With it all looking good I got the decals on, and here's how it looks...

spacer.png

It's gonna get more Ultra Gloss over it again, but have decided to do the inside of the painted half first, to reduce handling as much as possible once the final Ultra Gloss coats go on. So next is some gloss and carbon fibre decals on the inside of the painted part, along with some Aluminium Foil on some of it. Once that's done, I'll carefully Ultra Gloss the rest of it and then leave it alone!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks a lot, though the more I spend on detail, the less chance I have of ever finishing it! :)

That’s the nature of our hobby summed up in one sentence!

Great build, I’ve just had a scan back through & Attention to detail is impressive

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, I am slowly getting there!

Got the carbon fibre decals inside the engine cover today, will do the Aluminium Foil next and then cover all that and do another Ultra Gloss Coat all over and then that part is done. 

I think what I'll do next is identify all the other clear parts that need to be painted, and clean them up and paint them etc. I'll also clean up the corresponding parts that will stay clear. The toughest part will probably be the monocoque itself, as it will be rather awkward to mask the inside of that, and clean up the injection marks too, so I'll do the other parts first! ;)

Some more pics....

I used Tamiya tape to mask out the shape I wanted for the carbon fibre decals, which would then be put on the decal sheet to cut it out...

spacer.png

The rest of the inside of that half gets Aluminium Foil added after the decals are done...

spacer.png

Had a bit of a decision then, and decided to risk the foil, and do the Ultra Gloss properly, rather than protect the foil and possibly ruin the Gloss afterwards. So I got a few coats of Ultra Gloss done all over, apart from the carbon fibre/foil section, and some masking tape removed, and this part is now done...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As feared, the foil around the exhaust got a bit scrunched while doing the Ultra Gloss. I don't mind too much though, this part will glued to a base beside the model when finished, and you'll have to look under it at a tight angle to even see the foil, so it'll be fine. 

With that piece done, that pretty much confirms to me that my half and half plan, and my method to do it, seems to work out ok. I reckon I'll do the nose cone next, it attaches to the front wing (already done), and comes in two halves, so in theory should be an easier part, as I can just leave one half clear and work on the other half without having to mask the clear one. We'll see if that plans works out! :)

• Like 4

Thanks!

Ok, a little more done (that should be the motto of this build). Firstly, I've started work on cleaning the injection pins marks from the nose, seven on each side unfortunately, and some of them awkward to get to...

spacer.png

Then I finally finished the exhausts. I'd got a tip about putting some Sepia on them to add more depth, and I started that last night and quickly realised that I didn't really know what I was doing! So I sprayed some on here and there and tried to use it to blend the colours a bit, and I'm now calling them done...

spacer.png

And then I glued them in place...

spacer.png

With that done I decided to have a look at where I was. Sometimes it's good for the mojo to do some dry-fitting and see how it all looks. So bearing in mind that a lot of this isn't glued at all, here's how it currently looks...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just a little proof that it is getting there slowly! :)

• Like 8