Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001 'Full View'

Yeah, that's what I feared. It's going to be a long, slow job, but I don't think there's a quick way of doing it that won't end up in disaster. Ah well, I won't be near that for a few more months anyhow.

Well, after the initial flurry, I'm now back to my usual build speed!

Ā 

I got most of the decals on the bottom of the under tray done. There are still a few bubbles/bits to tidy up, and unfortunately the masking tape lifted a little bit of the 'smoke' on the skid block that has left a 'strip' running along it, but it's getting there. Here's how it looks:

Ā 

Ā 

resized_dfc96642-e6bb-438d-8c21-d9869a17

Ā 

Ā 

Still need to put some decals between some of the 'fins' at the back, and I also need to varnish this bottom half, as it's a little too glossy. Then of course I have to do the top side of the under tray as well.Ā My hope is to get all the under tray done, and get the engine/radiators glued in place, before I put this on the shelf for a while and move onto my next build.

Ā 

Thanks...

• Like 2

If I'm honest, my first thought was that the strip on the plank was there to represent where the car had grounded and scratched it at some stage. Excellent wood effect on the plank - is that paint or a decal?

Thanks! Just paint, a basic wood colour, and then I followed a tip I saw online and sprayed Tamiya Smoke, using a line of card to create ā€˜linesā€™ of Tamiya Smoke and give it a wood effect. One of those lines lifted with the tape, Iā€™m hoping another bit of Tamiya Smoke spraying will do the job. Reckon Iā€™ll try a Matt or Satin coat as well, it just feels like itā€™s far too glossy for the underside of a car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm afraid that's all for now! I ended up being sick this last week or so, as did my Wife and Daughter, so I didn't get anything else done on this. It's now boxed up for a couple of months as I'm starting a GB here on Saturday, building something whose wings *aren't* upside-down! :) Am pretty happy with how much I got done on this car before the GB came up though, and I'm still a little hopeful of getting it finished this year.

Ā 

Thanks for your help and support, I'll be back in a couple of months!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well... I'm back! :)

Ā 

Just finished the GB I was doing, so I've taken this Ferrari out of storage. Not done much yet, got that 'scratch' in the skid block fixed a bit, and also put some matt coat on the underside to deaden the gloss look of it.

Ā 

Have also started figuring out what way to do the carbon fibre decals on the rear and upper surfaces of the under tray, as there will be breaks between the decals that I need to try to hide as well as I can. Once those decals are done I can move on to other parts of the build.

Ā 

Two quick questions... Does anyone know if the 'axles' that go from the engine / front of the car to the wheels are made from Carbon Fibre and should be covered in decals, or just painted (black I assume). And does anyone know where I can get a spare 'SBS' (I think I'm right that it says SBS?) red decal for the wheels, I managed to make a mess of one of them.

Ā 

Thanks...

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since my announcement of being 'back', I've barely got to the bench. But I have managed a couple of little jobs and I thought it high time I post a picture!

Ā 

So while this won't look much different from the last pic, I have got the sides of the 'vanes' at the rear of the undertray covered in Carbon Fibre decals, and I also fixed the 'scratch' in the skid block and put a matt coat on as it was too shiny for the underside of a car. So basically the bottom of the undertray is done, and next is do the upper sides of it, and figuring out where to put the joins between the different Carbon Fibre decals.

Ā 

Thanks...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Barely made any progress, but just wanted to give a sense what's taking me so long!

Ā 

Basically for most of the Carbon Fibre Decals I need to cut them to fit different areas of the car. I create a template by using Tamiya tape and sticking it to different sections, and then peeling the tape off and sticking it to the decal sheet and cutting around it. Some of the shapes are quite complex, like the one below:

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

This one is particularly awkward, as that 3DĀ shape can't be spread into 2D, as some of the tape would overlap if I do that. That means I have to decide where to cut the tape (and therefore the decal) so get the shape I want, but also in a way that hides the line between the two decals after they've been stuck down.

Ā 

All of this takes time and energy/mojo, which I'm currently lacking! There are other, 'more interesting' kits in my stash that are calling to me, and I'm trying to resist. I keep telling myself that once I get the undertray section fully decalled it'll be easier again, but so far I haven't got there!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress to show, but not much!

Ā 

Finally got all the 'external' carbon fibreĀ decals done on the upper and lower surfaces of the undertray. Then I started on the interal surfaces, like under the side pods and the floor of the cockpit etc, using a different weave of Carbon Fibre. Here's how it looks now, with some decals waiting for Microsol and some already being melted by it. A lot of the internal area will only be half seen through the clear plastic, so I'm not too worried about it being perfect.

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Someone here on BM pointed me in the direction of an excellent site I hadn't seen with lots more photos of the F2001. Very handy, but it shows me that the side pods were also Carbon Fibre, something I hadn't realised. So I'm going to see if I can make masks for them as well.

Ā 

I also reckon I'm going to nead more Carbon Fibre decals, especially if I put carbon fibre decals on the inside of some of the clear parts. Not too surprising really!

Ā 

Slowly getting there...

• Like 1

Woohoo, the undertray is finished! In the end I couldn't stop myself, and I put Carbon Fibre decals on the side pods. and in the intakes as well. So basically it's pretty much covered now

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

I can finally move away from this area a bit. Need a few more decals on the seat underside/sides, and then I can look at maybe gluing some bits to the undertray before moving onto the rest of the suspension.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress continues! I got the engine glued in finally...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

I also got the seat covered in Carbon Fibre decals, though I don't have a pic of that, and I got the two side 'cushions' done as well...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

I'm happy enough with them (they look better in real life). To get the effect, I put a varnish coat on the plastic parts, then sifted flour over them when the varnish was still wet. I blew off the excess and then sprayed it when dried, and you get a kind of cloth/felt finish on them.

Ā 

Next up now is working on the front suspension and the wheels, some spraying/masking to be done and then more carbon fibre decals.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been a while since my last update! I have been working on this, but very, very slowly. So here's where I am...

Ā 

The rest of the suspension and the wheels/brakes etc. are now done and have carbon fibre decals on them...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Some dry fitting to show how it will all go together at the rear...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

The drive shafts weren't done when those pics were taken, but they now are and glued in place.Ā 

Ā 

With the suspension bits and pieces pretty much done, I'm now moving on to the rear wing. Have had some issues to figure out exactly which wings should be which colours, as the layout of the wings change race to race, but I figured it out (I think!) and have put some pink primer on them for the red paint...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

That's where I am now, next up is some masking and then the red and white.

• Like 3

Another little update. Was planning to spray some Red this evening but while looking up the Sponsorship schemes of Ferrari today I found out that Ferrari changed their F1 Red in 1996. Sure enough, the Red I have is the Red they used in all the decades prior to 1996. It's darker than the one they used from 1996 onwards.

Ā 

So, a little annoyed that I have to wait for new paint, but very relieved that I didn't spray the whole thing (well, half the thing) the wrong colour, I've ordered the correct Red and should have it by the weekend. I can still work on getting the pink Primer on the front wing too, and also getting the white on the front wing and rear wing.

A little update. Got the Brake Reservoir done...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Have also used the time while waiting for the correct Red Paint to arrive to look at numerous Pics and Videos online and I now know the paint scheme and decal scheme for the particular Rear Wing configuration that Tamiya give you, so that's good to know. And I have narrowed down which decals from the Scale Motorsport Sponsor Decal sheet to use (the sheet covers both 2001 and 2002, and doesn't come with any instructions). So I'm slowly but surely answering the questions I have.

Ā 

I have pink primer on half of all the wing sections now. Next up is White on some of them, but I'm also fighting some injection marks on the rear wing that I just can't seem to get rid off, and they'll need a bit more Pink Primer on them too before they're painted.

Suddenly I can't stop the updates! ;)

Ā 

Another bit done, I've the white on the wings...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

And I've just got a message to say the Red Paint is in and ready to be collected, so that's the next step...

And the next step is done. First time spraying Zero paints, and I'm quite happy with them. Sprayed on quite well, and the red looks the perfect shade. Of course, it's the gloss coat that's the key, but I'm not at that stage yet!

Ā 

Here's how the wings (and side mirrors) look now...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Next up is more masking, so I can spray black onto the right hand side of the wings. Then it's onto the gloss coat and more decals.

• Like 1

I got the masking done and the black painted, and here's how the wings look now...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Not unlike the underside of a early 1940 Spitfire Mk. 1! :)

Ā 

So they're now ready for gloss, and I have to figure out what gloss to use. I'm not used to doing cars, this is only my 3rd, but I know how important the gloss coat is. I'm leaning towards one of the two component ones, like Zero 2K Clear Coat or AK Ultra Gloss, I'll see what I can read up on (and can buy easily!).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month on, and I'm still alive, and still slowly working on this. It's mainly slow because I get so little time at the bench, but it's also slow because I keep changing my mind on what details to do, and how to do them.

Ā 

As I said, I decided to give some 2K gloss a go, and went with AK Ultra Gloss as it was easier for me to get. I did some testing with some spoons and it turned out well enough, and seemed fairly forgiving too!

Ā 

When deciding on the gloss, I also had to decide what to do with the carbon fibre side. Do I gloss it too? Leave it natural, or matt? Some research showed me that for F1 cars the natural carbon fibre can be 'keyed' before it's painted/varnished, and that leaves it matt. Thinking that the matt would be a good contrast with the other side being gloss, I went with that.

Ā 

So I glossed the parts, then put the decals on. and here's how they looked...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Nice and shiny! :)

Ā 

I then spent far too long trying to get the front wing 'side piece' covered in carbon fibre decals. It's just a single piece, and the various curves and fins etc. meant to took a lot of fiddly work to get it halfway decent...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

Next up was more masking and the matt being sprayed on one half. And then all I had to do was assemble.

Ā 

Of course, that decided to be really awkward! The front wing wasnā€™t too bad, but the back wing was a nightmare. After doing the bottom section of the wing, the upper sections turned out to be longer, and wouldn't fit, unless I had the sides of the rear wing at an angle. In the end I had to cut maybe 1-2mm off the upper rear wings to get them to fit. This hadĀ two consequences; they've lost some of their shine (and I plan to try to gloss them again) and the demarcation line is now not quite central, which is really annoying. It's slight though and I'm going to have to learn how to live with it. Here's how the wings look...

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

spacer.png

Ā 

Ā 

The demarcation line not being central is most obivous on the rear wing in the last picture! :(

Ā 

Next up are two steps I wasn't planning to do, but now have to. Firstly, I'm going to try to carefully mask the whole rear wing section and get it glossy again, as it has lost some of its shine. Then, because I decided to go with glossy Carbon Fibre on one side and Matt on the other (and made that decision about a year too late!) I also have to go back and try to carefully mask the undertray section to get that half and half glossy/matt as well. Fun and games!

• Like 4