This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DMC

Questions and Advice on Selling

Gents, I am getting on a bit.  Next year I will officially become an octogenarian.  I have a few things that I’ll never have time to make and a couple that I’ve no interest in at all.  Last time I attempted to sell on BM I made a right hash of it and got myself in hot water with the 

mods.  So, with that in mind, I’d like to ask a few questions about listing on here and would appreciate any advice you’d care to take a moment to give.

I realise that this is not an action site but what if I state a price and I am offered less?  That doesn’t seem to happen as far as I can tell but  

do I stick to my price or go with the lesser offer?  

Payment:  PayPal, cash or check?  My preferred method of payment would be PayPal but I would be prepared to take a check with the 

understanding that it would have to clear before the item could be dispatched.

Bundles:  some things I’d like to list as bundles for ease of packing up and dispatch.  Do any of you break up a bundle if asked?  

Books and magazines:  are they worth listing?  Any advice on pricing?

Photos:  worth taking up the space?  I would guess that most potential buyers know what the stuff looks like anyway so why bother. 

Unless, I suppose, it’s something unusual.

Freebies:  I have a couple of items that I’d be happy to give to anyone that could make use of them.  Started or incomplete kits for 

example.  I’d want postage of course.  Okay to list them here?

Postage and dispatch:  I haven’t sold many kits on “that” auction site but when I do sell something I usually post it 2nd Class Signed 

For.  For a kit that would probably come to around £3.90.  If a buyer asked for a cheaper price and the package goes astray I’m I 

responsible?

I’m not looking to make a killing here, I’ll just be happy to reduce the clutter and save my wife the bother of having to get rid of it at

much later date.  A much much later date I hope.

All suggestions and advice taken seriously.

Dennis 

Only sold a few of my kits on here,  

I look at what other people are selling at and come up with a fair price, I included postage for UK, I only except PayPal, any problems and PayPal will look after you.  Be prepared to reduce prices if you have you. 

Dennis, take a look at the rules and then at some existing posts to give a fair indication of the do and don'ts. You won't be too far wrong and the mods, for the most part, are quite helpful. At your discretion to accept an offer, particularly when buying more than one item and postage savings can be made.

As had been said, take a look at existing listings, that'll give you an idea of the rules & best approach.

I'd recommend selling in bundles, maybe six to eight at a time. Listing too many at once saturates the market. A kit plus associated AM makes a good bundle, as buyers get a complete, ready to build kit & you only have one parcel to worry about.

Books are trickier, because the postage costs can be high for larger books, and I find the demand on here is limited - we are, after all, builders rather than readers. Could still be worth listing, but EBay may be a better bet. Or approach book sellers like Rich, who'll offer you a lower price - they need to make a profit - but will take all your books in one transaction, which reduces stress & the time & energy of listing, selling, packing & posting each book.

Price your stuff at a discount to new prices. Again, posts in here will help you, as will EBay. Start high if unsure, but invite offers.  You can tell if the price is too high, because it won't sell! Most reasonably priced items will sell.

As a very, very rough guide, maybe start at 75% of what you paid, a bit less for AM, which doesn't seem to hold its value as well as kits. Unless it's Wingnut Wings, in which case you will get roughly what you paid for it, except for out of production kits that sell for a large profit.  I sold a £79 Sopwith Tripe for £200 recently.

Post everything 2nd class recorded delivery, insured. Everything. Protects you against "lost in the post" claims. Costs a little more, but include it in the listing price.

PayPal is the way to go. It's quick, simple, easy, widely available & risk free. I'd avoid cheques. They are slow & can bounce weeks after they've been accepted. If somebody wants to collect from you & pay cash, that's good as well.

Good luck!

Ok, great! Thank you @invidia, @Jinxman, @Spooky56, @abacus and @dekenba.  All advice taken on board: PapPal, signed for, etc.  Would have seen “free to a good home” if I’d taken a moment to scroll down the page a little more.   Lazy.

Cheers and thanks again.  Might get my feet wet with a small listing tonight.  

Dennis 

Incidentally,  not sure why my original post came out so disjointed like it did.  I typed it much neater than that.

Afternoon @DMC, Dennis, and congratulations in reaching (nearly!) a substantial milestone.

Lets do this by the numbers:-

1. ...do I stick to my price or go with the lesser offer.....

YOUR choice. As @abacus has pointed out, it's fair to refund on postage if multiple purchase are made.

But, be aware there are some people who may try it on!

2. Payment.....

If it's Pay-Pal you want, yes, if that's your choice, after all it's safer for everybody. Should anybody contact you and ask if there is any lee way,

and if your in a magnanimous mood! again that is YOUR choice. Always remember, many people aren't comfortable in sending cash through the post

so chances are it would be a cheque, make SURE the cheque has cleared BEFORE you send the purchase.

3. Bundles.....

Your choice, my recommendation would be to only consider this if you have a number of bundles/sets that are 'sticking'.

Then you can offer to break down a bundle of kits. As @dekenba has pointed out, if you have after market, be it PE, resin or decals do them as a bundle.

4. Books and magazines.....

Books, yes, most of us still like to spend an hour or three with a proper book, particularly if it's OOP, and if we think we're getting a bargain!

Sadly not so much with magazines, most people expect 'em for nothing, as with the weight, the cost of fuel, if being collected or a courier is going to be high.

When I let my magazines go, I donated them to the kit swap at Telford in '17, at least Marie Currie got the benefit.

With 25 large boxes, delivery split between the Newark show and Telford, I swear the car heaved a sigh of relief!

5. Photos....

Why not! With the time you've been shooting film, many will not be available to a younger audience, but, DO NOT post a picture of the pictures.

Why? how many on here complain about their photos being used without permission or credit, sadly there are more than a few unscrupuless people.

Give a description of what they are (bundles could be useful here) e.g. ten photos of the scruggs wonder plane etc.

6. Postage and dispatch....

2nd Class Signed For is a good idea, at least that way you know when they arrive, or where in the country they are. Worth paying a visit to the Post Office

and getting a leaflet on parcel charges, unless your going for a 'one size fits all' approach on pricing, because you could finish up with burned fingers with larger kits.

7. Freebies.....

Why not list these separately from the stash / library reduction in the 'free to a good home' section of buy and sell?

So there you have it, four replies, all singing a similar tune.....well, me old music teacher told me I was tone deaf!

Have fun! and a Happy Birthday (when it arrives) and many more of them.

Paul

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DMC said:

Gents, I am getting on a bit.  Next year I will officially become an octogenarian.  I have a few things that I’ll never have time to make and a couple that I’ve no interest in at all.  Last time I attempted to sell on BM I made a right hash of it and got myself in hot water with the 

mods.  So, with that in mind, I’d like to ask a few questions about listing on here and would appreciate any advice you’d care to take a moment to give.

I realise that this is not an action site but what if I state a price and I am offered less?  That doesn’t seem to happen as far as I can tell but  

do I stick to my price or go with the lesser offer?  

Payment:  PayPal, cash or check?  My preferred method of payment would be PayPal but I would be prepared to take a check with the 

understanding that it would have to clear before the item could be dispatched. Paypal is a buyers safest option and probably the most convenient. Bank transfer is ok too but if you do accept a cheque make sure it clears before posting anything. I think this site a lot more trustworthy than most and the incidences of confidence tricking has been minimal over the years I've been here. Still, better safe than sorry!

Bundles:  some things I’d like to list as bundles for ease of packing up and dispatch.  Do any of you break up a bundle if asked?  Totally your call. Don't feel afraid to say no. Having said that, if selling is more important than the effort it takes to pack and send individually, then consider breaking bundles up, yes.

Books and magazines:  are they worth listing?  Any advice on pricing? They're heavy and usually cost a lot to send. Rarer, more valuable books may be worth your while IMHO.

Photos:  worth taking up the space?  I would guess that most potential buyers know what the stuff looks like anyway so why bother. 

Unless, I suppose, it’s something unusual. Photo's are a good idea IMHO. It shows a bit of effort and more importantly, I do it for transparencies sake. I prefer my buyers to see what they're getting so that there can be no issue later. Described as started - how started? Box damaged - how much damage? Pictures help with that kind of thing.

Freebies:  I have a couple of items that I’d be happy to give to anyone that could make use of them.  Started or incomplete kits for 

example.  I’d want postage of course.  Okay to list them here? There is a 'Free To A Good Home' section in the buy/sell area.

Postage and dispatch:  I haven’t sold many kits on “that” auction site but when I do sell something I usually post it 2nd Class Signed 

For.  For a kit that would probably come to around £3.90.  If a buyer asked for a cheaper price and the package goes astray I’m I 

responsible? I think it's important to state your terms and stick to them. Peace of mind is a two way street and if you feel uncomfortable breaking your terms you are well within your rights to say no.

I’m not looking to make a killing here, I’ll just be happy to reduce the clutter and save my wife the bother of having to get rid of it at

much later date.  A much much later date I hope.

All suggestions and advice taken seriously.

Dennis 

Just my approach, Dennis. Try to be fair, transparent and feel comfortable with any transaction. Don't let yourself be convinced to do something you're not happy with. Good luck!

Edited by Avgas

Some good, sound advice above Dennis and the only other comment I would make is about the price asked.  If someone offers a lower price, especially those who do almost straight after you've listed the items, then perhaps you could suggest that you would like to wait a while; just to see if anyone is prepared to pay the asking price.  If no-one does after a while then you could let it go at that lower price.

Mike

I would consider offering  second class recorded as an alternative - it’s only another £. But it means you get a tracking number which gives both seller and buyer a bit of peace of mind.

Nick

While some good questions, this was not a sales hread so I have removed it from the sale seaction

Julien