Blohm & Voss BV 141

Muddyf

So, having taken the plunge and had my weak mind swayed decided to commit to three models for this GB, i will start with the venerable Blohm & Voss BV141.

47350261762_ce56e53325.jpg

I had this very same kit purchased for me at a Badminton Airshow by my father, then decided to go against the painting instructions and paint in a WWI era lozenge camouflage. Rose tinted specs say it looked amazing, having binned the model decades ago it cannot hold up to modern scrutiny!

So, the unboxing and note the pre-masked clear parts (i couldn't stop myself before taking this photo!) and slighty yellowed decals. 

33527059748_3b5a845daf.jpg

The decals i can deal with, as i have a lot of spares kicking around if i need them.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 5

welcome along Matt with something that will bring back lots of memories for a lot of members.

hard to believe something this odd was quite popular, I remember the cockpit was plain frightening to paint, long before masks were around. Mine like probably quite a few others ended up being scrapped, I still have some bit floating around in my spares box.

Good luck with the build, there'll be a lot of members following this one, I look forward to seeing her completed.

Basic work has started following the exhaustive and detailed instructions (all 4 stages of them!) that are typical of this era. I have to say memories have started flooding back, i distinctly remember getting gluey finger prints all over the open optional rear glazed part which meant i swapped out for the closed part meaning a machine gun wasn't showing, much to the disappointment of 10 year old me (every bomb/missile/gun included in a kit fitted!).

Wing halves have been attached, with some very basic detail added to the wheel wells to add a little interest as these will largely be unseen.

47359362002_a7f11f6f2f.jpg

The fuselage halves were also attached, although the parts didn't want to adhere and so i had to part them and ran a file along the edges to key the surface prior to re-gluing.

47359362302_387f3538eb.jpg

As for schemes, i am yet undecided (but the lozenge pattern is unfortunately out), although I normally start these projects with a definite aircraft in mind.

I have to say that, despite the kits 'vintage' it is currently dryfitting well together, with no warped parts.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments guys,

A little progress before bed last night. I started work on the rather bare cockpit area. The five items that make up the original cockpit area are shown below. Rather sparse for what is basically a greenhouse with wings!

46695053914_7707868388.jpg

So, i started on the pilot/observer area and using some card and bits from a scrapped 109, i ended up with this.

46695054084_f7fd12afa7.jpg

The cockpit area is a very similar layout to the FW189.  Some more work to progress on the rear area before i start painting!

Thanks for looking,

Matt

• Like 6

There will be a slight intermission on detailing, painting and buttoning up the cockpit area as I need to source some thin foil for use in the production of seat belts etc.

This obviously means opening and drinking a bottle of good red wine. 🍷

The sacrifices we make and the hardships we endure in the pursuit of this hobby!

Edited by Muddyf

You've picked the most interesting and unusual of the three to start with :D Nice work on adding some extra detail into this one :goodjob:

• Like 1

Minimal work has progressed on the model, im hoping to get it over the finish line this weekend.......

Additional work on the cockpit area using some wine bottle foil for seatbelts for the pilot and observer. This followed a quick splash of RLM22 (Vallejo Model Colours version).

47431476492_684aa708af.jpg

I then painted the belts, a little dry brush etc to highlight edges etc and then buttoned up the cockpit area.

46569094605_1ed0d506a1.jpg

As you can see, the joints and some areas around the glazing required a bit of plastic putty and i have allowed at least 24 hours for this to set prior to sanding back and tidying up.

Once im happy with this element of the kit i will attach the wings, filler where required, then start to apply some paint. 

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Update:

Disaster struck (although thankfully not the model) when i managed to wipe ALL the photographs of this build from the masking up until completion (along with some early prep i had started on the 1/48 Blenheim).

That said, i did photo the completed model!

So, a rather short build thread, but the completed model.

46825321675_7ae06f397b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

well done on getting her done, she does look good, pity about loosing the photos. Have done that before!!! :whistle:

She's always been an impressive model of a very unusual aircraft. I had planned at one stage (and I think may others have had the same thought) to add a boom to the other side and make her a bit more normal looking...plus other upgrades! :D

• 2 weeks later...