Eduard Tornado f3 release date?

jet-mech

Courtesy of Big H:

Description:

Panavia Tornado F.3 ADV 1/48 kits) APRIL RELEASE! EXPECTED IN STOCK LATE MARCH!! GET THEM ON BACKORDER!!! Limited Edition kit of British jet aircraft Panavia Tornado F.3 ADV in 1/48 scale. - plastic parts: Revell - No. of decal options: 5 - decals: Cartograf - PE parts: yes, pre-painted - painting mask: yes - resin parts: yes, ejection seats, undercarriage w

Rest of the text is missing.
Pre-order price is £37,53. Doesn´t sound too bad....

Edited by Phantom726

I do hope the BOL rail will be included, as well as some ASRAAM/AMRAAM... But I’m not holding my breath honestly.

The decal sheet looks nice, however most of the choices have already been covered by Model Alliance etc. So nothing really new for me unfortunately. I’m still waiting for an ‘ultimate’ early colors sheet: 5 and 11 Sqn in the early days, and last but not least 65(R)/229OCU 🙏🏻

G

• Like 2

Just ordered one from a UK supplier with free shipping for 35.00 pounds , which seems to be only around a tenner more than what the basic Revell kit is being offered at elsewhere on Ebay  but with a new decal sheet , PE , Masks and resin included  -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eduard-1-48-Model-Kit-11126-Panavia-Tornado-F-3-ADV-Limited-Edition/392266942013?epid=13031030140&hash=item5b54ee863d:g:1HoAAOSw5Epcm9Kn&frcectupt=true

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kit arrived today and I thought that the following might be of interest to those who like to hang weaponry from their models although for some of the decal options given it is quite likely that they never carried more than a training load while so marked.

Although relatively minor details I thought that Eduard are to be commended for being perhaps the first manufacturer to have drawn attention to the early/late spine detail change where the twin aerials are replaced by a GPS disc and for mentioning that 43 Squadron’s contentious  all-black ZG757 had its radome replaced by a standard grey unit (the black paint was not radar friendly).

For all of the decal examples provided BOL launch rails/countermeasures dispensers were carried on the inner pylon inside shoulder position rather than the kit provided launch rail and so will need to be acquired elsewhere. 

Other than ZE339/AV from 2000 in the original short lived ‘Phoenix” scheme which would still be using AIM-9 acquisition rounds the standard training fit for the others would have been an ASRAAM acquisition round on the port outer shoulder rail and from around 2004 a RAIDS pod on the starboard outer rail.

ZE758/YI as flown during Operation Telic in 2003 was in the 4 pylon ‘Pig Fit’ (as one pilot described it to me) with full loads of SkyFlash under the fuselage and ASRAAM on the inner pylon shoulder rails along with a TRD in a BOZ pod on the Port outer pylon and PHIMAT on the Starboard.

Although initially introduced around the same time as ASRAAM it seems that SkyFlash was not fully replaced by AMRAAM until around 2006 due to integration issues.

Full UK QRA fit was 4 under-fuselage carried SkyFlash/AMRAAM and 4 inner pylon carried AIM-9/ASRAAM along with large droptanks although apparently a lesser load was used in the Falklands which does not apply to any of the options provided.

Both Large and small droptank colours could vary wildly from standard air defence greys to grey/green camouflage via ARTF sand or gray or on occasion faded mixes of any of the above.

Noticed over the weekend that for Eduard Bunny Fighter Club members there is now a Special Edition of the Limited Edition kit available which includes the final '25 Years Tornado F3' markings carried by ZE791 in March 2011 to mark the types withdrawal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Des said:

Kit arrived today and I thought that the following might be of interest to those who like to hang weaponry from their models although for some of the decal options given it is quite likely that they never carried more than a training load while so marked.

Although relatively minor details I thought that Eduard are to be commended for being perhaps the first manufacturer to have drawn attention to the early/late spine detail change where the twin aerials are replaced by a GPS disc and for mentioning that 43 Squadron’s contentious  all-black ZG757 had its radome replaced by a standard grey unit (the black paint was not radar friendly).

For all of the decal examples provided BOL launch rails/countermeasures dispensers were carried on the inner pylon inside shoulder position rather than the kit provided launch rail and so will need to be acquired elsewhere. 

Other than ZE339/AV from 2000 in the original short lived ‘Phoenix” scheme which would still be using AIM-9 acquisition rounds the standard training fit for the others would have been an ASRAAM acquisition round on the port outer shoulder rail and from around 2004 a RAIDS pod on the starboard outer rail.

ZE758/YI as flown during Operation Telic in 2003 was in the 4 pylon ‘Pig Fit’ (as one pilot described it to me) with full loads of SkyFlash under the fuselage and ASRAAM on the inner pylon shoulder rails along with a TRD in a BOZ pod on the Port outer pylon and PHIMAT on the Starboard.

Although initially introduced around the same time as ASRAAM it seems that SkyFlash was not fully replaced by AMRAAM until around 2006 due to integration issues.

Full UK QRA fit was 4 under-fuselage carried SkyFlash/AMRAAM and 4 inner pylon carried AIM-9/ASRAAM along with large droptanks although apparently a lesser load was used in the Falklands which does not apply to any of the options provided.

Both Large and small droptank colours could vary wildly from standard air defence greys to grey/green camouflage via ARTF sand or gray or on occasion faded mixes of any of the above.

Noticed over the weekend that for Eduard Bunny Fighter Club members there is now a Special Edition of the Limited Edition kit available which includes the final '25 Years Tornado F3' markings carried by ZE791 in March 2011 to mark the types withdrawal.

So no BOL rail, disappointed with Eduard for that!

1 hour ago, Stealthman said:

So no BOL rail, disappointed with Eduard for that!

I'm not surprised at the lack of BOL/ASRAAM. If they had already been in Eduard's Brassin range they would have been included no doubt. I think the seats were new but the wheels were already a Brassin product.

The biggest problem with kits is the failure by the Manufacturers to include items such as the BOL rail - when an aftermarket company like Eduard then release their own edition, you kinda expect them to do the business........

The final 'F.3/EF.3'  releases of the Airfix kit contained an additional sprue with parts for AMRAAM and basic BOL shapes along with BOZ and PHIMAT for the four pylon fit.

Maybe someone out there has unused and unwanted parts left or perhaps even the kit itself either boxed on its own or in the 'Front line Fighters' Gift Set along with the Jaguar although eBay prices for these seem to have got a bit ridiculous for what had by that time become a rather badly warped kit.

I think the kits are nice. I agree that the parts mentioned would have been nice additions and I've asked Eduard if they would consider them for their Brassin line. I know they intend to release the resin seats separately in about a year's time so it would a nice coincidence if they could release a couple of upgrade packs - basic and advanced - with the aforementioned parts also. I've also asked if they might consider decals to render the earlier aircraft and also whether they might release special eds of the IDS and GR4.

My planned builds include:

Tornado F.2 Prototype ZA654 or 267

Tornado F.2 ADV ZD934

Tornado F.3 ZG757

Tornado F.3 ZE339

Tornado F.3 ZE791

Tornado F.3 ZG799

The lack of BOL is of course disappointing, but that didn’t come as a surprise.

That being said, if you compare the price of the Revell and the Eduard box, you do get a lot in the latter for the few quid extra.  If you had to get the decals/resin/masks separately it would have been much more expensive. And the top opening box is priceless 😇 

The Eduard F3 seems to have done well as it’s already sold out in many of the major online shops... So hopefully the Gr1/4 or even an ‘early’ F3 not far behind? 🙏🏻... I’m in!!!

G

• Like 1

5 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

That being said, if you compare the price of the Revell and the Eduard box, you do get a lot in the latter for the few quid extra.  If you had to get the decals/resin/masks separately it would have been much more expensive. And the top opening box is priceless 😇 

I mentioned earlier that the best price difference between on-line prices for the Revell and Eduard kits seemed to be around ten pounds but earlier this week I was in two stockists in this area where the Revell kit was only five pounds cheaper than what I paid for my Eduard kit , so most definitely a bargain for what is provided.

• Like 1