1/48 RA-5C Vigilante

Arniec

Hi Guys,

I will be trying to build the Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante with some goodies on it.

The pictures will show you what I mean.

the box top

IMG_4760

the content

IMG_4761

the extra goodies.

IMG_4762IMG_4763

and some different decals.

IMG_4764

I hope to start it soon.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 10

welcome along Arnold, great to have you here and with a real beast!!

This is an aircraft I've fond of and I know all the extra AM bits you've got VERY well. At least you can be assured they'll fit your model, unlike what I had to go through!!! I'm not sure why they supply the full main wheel well detail, as other than gear rotation the main doors stay closed all the time.

There are some great schemes available for her, look forward to seeing which one you chose.

Good luck with the build, she's such and awesome aircraft, will follow with interest and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

I have made a start with putting the resin wheel bays in. A pity that not much of it can be seen as the main wheelcovers will be closed on the ground.

IMG_4771

I also reinforced the fuselage so that it won't bend when I handle it.

IMG_4770

I also started to look at the resin cockpit and the fit of it. I have noticed that the resin wheel-bay and the cockpit will need some twitching before it will match in the fuselage.

That is it for now.

Cheers,  

• Like 5

yeah the fuselage join is the breaker on this model! There is a wooden frame set available to help align the fuselage but careful work like you're doing will fix the issue as well.

Just another Trumpeter quality product! The actual cockpit tub is quite a bit narrower then it should be, though you won't notice it on this model! There's no easy way to fix this, it's about 1/4" too narrow. I found this out when using the same AM gear with the Collect-Aire beast. The only good thing about their model (and others) is they got the measurements correct. Something Trumpeter has real issues about on this and most of their models.

But unless you have the two models together you'll never notice the difference.

• Like 3

I built one of these several years ago, when it was first issued. It still gives me nightmares - well not quite. I have been modelling for a long, long time and I can safely say that this is the worst kit that I have finished. One or two others were never finished and landed in the bin. The large fuselage halves in my example were all over the place. I used some substantial plastic card and several 'pit props' placed inside the fuselage to get the fuselage halves aligned and then glued together securely. The build came straight out of the box with that same Aeromaster decal sheet used for the main markings. In the end it looked OK but when there is a market for an internal wooden skeleton to help form the fuselage, well that says it all. 

Good luck with your builds guys, Alan.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Paperback writer said:

I built one of these several years ago, when it was first issued. It still gives me nightmares - well not quite. I have been modelling for a long, long time and I can safely say that this is the worst kit that I have finished. One or two others were never finished and landed in the bin. The large fuselage halves in my example were all over the place. I used some substantial plastic card and several 'pit props' placed inside the fuselage to get the fuselage halves aligned and then glued together securely. The build came straight out of the box with that same Aeromaster decal sheet used for the main markings. In the end it looked OK but when there is a market for an internal wooden skeleton to help form the fuselage, well that says it all. 

Good luck with your builds guys, Alan.

I see your Trumpy Vigilante and raise you the 1/48th Trumpy Su-24!!! Barely buildable plus you need to throw away the front and rear bits because they're all wrong!

That said Arnold knows I built a resin Vigilante a year or so back with full AM bit designed for the Trumpy model.......I've never been the same since!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This will make for a big beast when you finish it Arnold! Smart work on adding some extra bracing to the fuselage join.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!  I've got one of these on the bench I need to get back too.  She'll test your patience for sure, but she'll be an eye catcher once she's done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see another one of these kits being built! This was my first 'intro build' on Britmodeller back in 2007 and it was a bit of a struggle! I used the wooden brace, added the humpback and changed the fin profile.

The aftermarket will really help with detail but as you know most of it will be invisible 😭

Despite the well-documented shape problems (forward fuselage width, lack of a 'hump' and wrong shaped fin) it does build up into a large and very attractive model.

Will be following with anticipation!

Alan

• Like 1