Paint Suggestions for Mustang IV Cockpit?

mike romeo

Hello folks,

I'm looking for paint suggestions for the new Airfix Mk IV.  They suggest Humbrol 226 for most of the cockpit interior.  Is this reasonable? Looks a bit OD to me.

Alternative suggestions from either Revell Aqua, Humbrol or Tamiya acrylics ranges would be appreciated.

Oh, and re the main gear bay, I was under the impression that this could have been natural metal roof with yellow zinc chromate rear wall / main spar.  Is this plausible for a No IV?

TIA,

Martin

I don't have any Humbrol 226 but what you;re trying to match is ANA 611, interior green

Long thread here which may interest you

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/173927-raf-mustangs-interior-colour/ 

Late war Mustangs: unpainted gear wells with the spar face in zinc chromate.

Tamiya for their 1/32 P 51D state XF3 & XF 5 mixed 2 - 1 for cockpit colour.   I've used Ammo Mig's USAAF WWII colour set and found them to be a good match or take a look at AK WW2 U.S. Aircraft Interior Colours and their real colour range, I've not used either but have used other colours from these ranges.  Just make sure you use a lacquer thinner for the real colour.  

I'm sure there are more such as  Vallejo who do an extensive WWII USAAF Aircraft -16x 17ml set and MRP also do a range of USAF colours, but I've not used any of these. 

Many thanks to all who have responded.  Prising open my tin of H226 enamel reveals it's a much more 'apple-y' green than the lid might lead you to expect.  

WIP's link is a very useful reference, one reason being the inclusion of Dana Bell's comments. Bill Staggs, another modeler/enthusiast also wrote that P-51D's had interior green (FS34151) cockpits, with many also having dull dark green (FS34092) seats. IIRC NATO European dark green is also quoted as being  FS34092, so you might look for it under that nomenclature. I think the Allison-powered Mustangs and early production P-51B/C's had dull dark green cockpits, switching to interior green  later in production.

Mike

This link to a previous discussion might also be useful!

Oh man, my fav topic. Google Great Planes History Channel P-51. There are several edited versions narrated by an Aussie on the Mustang. There is LOADS of color footage of Apaches in SoCal training and lots of footage of Ds rolling down the assembly line in Inglewood including shots of the cockpit area. In one sequence assembled rudder pedals are being installed and you can CLEARLY see the color details. No question the cockpit area was a version of interior green but more brownish than greenish. There is an interior shot of an NAA test pilot going through preflight checks at the end of 25R at Mines Field now LAX. You can clearly see the trim console in color. There are also shots of the wing assembly being painted. Structural components Are yellow zinc chromate with interior skin being aluminum. They zinc chromated the hell out of interior areas.

I love this topic as my father was an NAA mechanical engineer at LA and Dallas. I was born and raised near the LA plant and now live 5 miles from the Dallas plant! I can totally relate.

As a side note, this color footage shows freshly built Mustangs being test flown with zinc chromated wings and temporary insignias. Prior to delivery they were shot with silver. Reason being is some of those skins were milled and needed corrosion coatings.

So, after a ramble, I’m sure export airplanes were delivered the same as USAAF aircraft.

• Like 3