Occupational Mustang

Morning.

I'd like to add this second Mustang:

190317a Markings

The sheet says its a P-51D but I think its a P-51K (http://www.mustang.gaetanmarie.com/documents/serials.htm). I wanted to do the airfix kit OOTB and so bought this on e-Bay for a very reasonable £5.25:

190317b Bits

It was advertised as complete and isn't really as the bombs and rocket rails are missing, but it does have the uncuffed propeller which I can live with as an Aeroproducts propeller. I might reshape the blades a little...but I probably won't! The canopy has been sat on at some point and a replacement canopy has been added in but it's an Inglewood canopy. I'll use the spare Dallas canopy from the F-51D build also here.

The undercarriage legs, Col?

190317c Undercarriage legs

OMG!

Alan

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Morning.

I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, SoftScience: "Rachitic Varus Deformity in Northern Mustangs", might make a paper for somebody! Is there a journal of veterinary plastic surgery?

I'm hoping to make this up OOTB, Col. So, I'll probably just crib a pair of legs from the, slightly diminishing, mustang stash and use a pair of SAC white metal legs later on in a converted one. I do have the SAC ones and they lok excellent. Looking at the picture above, I wonder if the Airfix ones are rescue-able by replacing the oleo with a pin. I'll certainly give that a try.

I still think that moulding the canopy transparency separate from the frame is the worst bit of the kit!

Alan 

• Like 2

Those legs look better, if you give a bit of heat with a hairdryer or any easily controllable source, twist them some and when cooled clamp together with the u/c door, which should then keep them straight(er). But I liked the separate canopy? Your kit looks to have a recognizable aerial part, which is not true with all Airfix Mustang kits! If you manage to remove the control stick from sprue frame in one piece, you´re a true master of the kit 🙂. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I'm hoping to make this up OOTB, Col. So, I'll probably just crib a pair of legs from the, slightly diminishing, mustang stash and use a pair of SAC white metal legs later on in a converted one. I do have the SAC ones and they lok excellent. Looking at the picture above, I wonder if the Airfix ones are rescue-able by replacing the oleo with a pin. I'll certainly give that a try.

On the one I built taking off that's pretty much what I tried. Cut out the oleo section and replaced it with some plastic rod. Obviously this isn't a load-bearing part as the modle is displayed on a stand but worth a try :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

I've got to cancel this one. I had hoped to build it on time for this GB as an OOTB build based on the other one I have here. That other build has just thrown up a whole new problem of the fit of the canopy open on this kit. Very frustrating. I'd never have time for this one. Therefore I'm going to make this one as an OOTB Dominican Mustang in the "Sharksmouth" GB coming up. I do love this scheme and I hope to do it in the Mustang GB coming your way in December.

I'm not sure about the compatibility of fussiness and OOTB builds...

Angus Tura achieves new level of bitterness!

Alan

• Sad 4

As a serial GB fail to finisher, often for the same reason I feel your pain. Be careful with the SAC legs the metal is very soft and although it should hold a plastic kit OK any resin or similar will be too much for it. I've heard this several times at shows and there's a regular on this site who's had the same issue.