Classic Airframe Meteor NF11

Colin W

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, Colin W said:

Looks good Andy. Shouldn't the nose be black top and bottom though ? I can't say I've seen many like this. 

Colin 

Nope,

it is correct,  source Cold War Shield Vol 1 page 279. Sorry not to rely earlier just back from Singapore and Australia.

• Like 1

Cheers Andy, I'll look out for this scheme.

Singapore and Australia heh! no visit to 'the land of the long white cloud again?'

I've been in Malaysia all week and looking forward to getting the decals on this next week after 3 weeks of no activity.

Colin

Would have loved to have gone but we can't take our youngest out of school so it had to be a quick trip in the Easter holidays.  We were in KL two years ago on a trip to Borneo and liked it.

Take care and hopefully see you at Telford some day.

• Like 1

Great job so far Colin, she's really looking great! My father worked on Meteor NF11s when he did his National Service with 11 Squadron RAF so I'm following this build with interest. Unfortunately he was never one for photography otherwise I would have sent some pics for inspiration!

All the best,

Matt

• Like 1

After a gap of several weeks I got back to the Meteor NF11 this weekend. A few areas of the camouflage needed a touch up and I added the main undercarriage. I followed the pattern discussed above by extending the nose leg using 1mm brass rod secured into the nose weight. 

20190428_162129

I have never built a model in this scheme before but it looks quite smart. 

20190428_214021

Underside with some shading to break up the solid colour. Brass rod drilled into each wing to secure the drop tanks. 

Colin 

• Like 8

very nice!! Yeah it's a great scheme, very 50's and very English.

Some subtle weathering should help break the vastness of grey underneath.

• Thanks 1

A bit of activityover the long weekend. Painting completed with a base of future and a mix of decals added. National insignia from the kit, 29 squadron markings from  Dutch decals and serials made on my home printer. 

I am not impressed with the Dutch decals as the white is only printed halfway under the red, making 2 very different shades. This is very poor quality and I don't think I'll be using these again. The sheet was reasonably expensive and I only used 4 decals, the rest consigned to the bin. I'd print my own next time, especially as I have to print the serials anyway.

Looks better now. 

20190504_100855

20190504_100906

Colin 

• Like 4

Looking good Colin. I used the Dutch Decal sheet for both mu 616 Squadron Meteor builds and they were fine but no white was involved. The Xtradecals sheet  for the Meteor NF is pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Richard. Gone were the days when night fighters were black! 

I cleared the masking tape from the cockpit but found it a bit of a mess with congeled glue and over spray so I had to sand and repolish the canopy. 

20190505_111403

I then had to remark and paint it again but did it line by line, horizontal then vertical. Thats for me to here. 

20190506_120352

20190506_120320

20190506_120339

A few aerials and an overall coat of varnish should have her finished. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Lovely finish

I worked with a guy in ATC who had been a navigator on NF11s with 29 Sqdn and went on to Javelins, I'm sure he would have approved.

Incidentally he refused to fly anywhere on holiday for 30 years after leaving the RAF, much to the annoyance of his best friend ( an ex -Hunter pilot ) because he reckoned he had used up all his good luck on Javelins.

John

• Haha 2

Thanks for the comments guy's. 

I'm not sure about this 

15 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Really good build of an old kit. 👍

I can remember when these kits were released so they rate as quite new in my experience. 

Finished pictures now posted in the gallery. 

Colin 

• Haha 1