Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

We made it folks!!!! :yahoo:

Thanks to everyone who voted, it was a little close for a while but we made it nicely in the end.

Now the bad news, I grab first GB off the block for next year!!! Least this way you can start the year off fresh and not have to finish another build before hand.

So you better start digging out those builds or writing a very nice letter to Santa (or SWMBO)!!

Plus winter and Scandinavia just go together!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

We made it folks!!!! :yahoo:

That’s SAABsational Rich, well done to you and everyone else who voted this one up. I’ve got at least two small builds planned, however frustratingly one new purchase arrived without decals, not exactly happy but hopefully still recoverable. 

Cheers.. Dave (who might change his name to Sven for a few months!). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Congratulations on getting through!  In spite of signing up for this its timing means I won't be able to participate but that's just misfortune on my part - I'll be really pleased when I've finished studying!

In the meantime good luck to you all and I shall be keeping my eyes open for the fascinating subjects this GB will generate.

I guess my Norwegian RF-84F will have to wait for another time.

• Sad 1

Yey! That Kimi's West McLaren will soon be out of its garage (stash) and straight to the workshop!

As this will be my first proper build of civilian vehicle, and larger than 1/72, it will be an interesting challenge.

Also I appreciate length of this GB - it lasts almost 4 months, so hopefully enough time for experiments with polishing on car body..

Thanks and cya soon on the track! 🏁

S.

• Like 2

Won't be long now.

My first build for this GB is the following:

spacer.png

I'll build the single-seater as an SH-37 maritime strike aircraft in the classic splinter camouflage with two of those humungous RB04 missiles under the wings.   The SK37 will be saved for later.

Second build:

spacer.png

• Like 7

The SH with the BMF rockets is the best!!  :thumbsup:

Hopefully it isn't just a scaled down version of the 1/48th monster! Will you go with masks??

I'd love to do that wee tank one day.

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The SH with the BMF rockets is the best!!  :thumbsup:

Hopefully it isn't just a scaled down version of the 1/48th monster! Will you go with masks??

I'd love to do that wee tank one day.

Hi rich congrats with the GB getting voted in. it’s gonna be really fun. 👍

I have changed my original plan of building a hasegawa danish starfighter for this to building a recently purchased swedish special hobby viggen also like Enzo,

but in gray and mine is 1/48 - you said it’s a monster above: is the 1/48 a terrible kit?😢

12 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Hi rich congrats with the GB getting voted in. it’s gonna be really fun. 👍

I have changed my original plan of building a hasegawa danish starfighter for this to building a recently purchased swedish special hobby viggen also like Enzo,

but in gray and mine is 1/48 - you said it’s a monster above: is the 1/48 a terrible kit?😢

The main problem with it is the fit.....or more so how it really doesn't fit. Plenty of test fitting and adjusting and you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Rich B said:

Would a 1/16 scale 10th Century Norse Warrior meet with the approval of His Immenseness?

Cheers,

Rich

Figures are fine, will be great to something different! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Morning all,

Do any of you have any experience with kits coming from BroPlan (Poland) please?

In particular I’m having an eye on this: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/canadair-cl600-2b16-challenger-604-royal-danish--royal-australian-af-ms-139-broplan-ms-139-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=94715

It’s “vacuform” - is that crap and/or definitely not for beginners (like me)?

Many thanks!

Johnny b 

41 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Morning all,

Do any of you have any experience with kits coming from BroPlan (Poland) please?

In particular I’m having an eye on this: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/canadair-cl600-2b16-challenger-604-royal-danish--royal-australian-af-ms-139-broplan-ms-139-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=94715

Many thanks!

Johnny b 

Hi Johnny

Have a look here:

You have to do a lot of scratchbuilding, tinkering and replacing parts, use large amounts of filler and so on.

I haven't dared to start one yet....but some say it's perfectly possible.

Broplan is probably not for beginners...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Morning all,

Many thanks!

Johnny b 

Johnny,

I agree Christer, they are not beginners. I have a couple of them in the collection, (Falcon 900 and Bombardier Global Express). I have built a couple of vacforms but have not tried the Broplan kits yet. The plastic they use is very thin compared to other vacs and susceptible to being damaged easily during construction IMO.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Hi Johnny

Have a look here:

You have to do a lot of scratchbuilding, tinkering and replacing parts, use large amounts of filler and so on.

I haven't dared to start one yet....but some say it's perfectly possible.

Broplan is probably not for beginners...

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Johnny,

I agree Christer, they are not beginners. I have a couple of them in the collection, (Falcon 900 and Bombardier Global Express). I have built a couple of vacforms but have not tried the Broplan kits yet. The plastic they use is very thin compared to other vacs and susceptible to being damaged easily during construction IMO.

Thanks a lot gents, much appreciated !!

A good write up there by @Bjorn on his adventures with the BroPlan kit and also an excellent end result. 

Considering the Scandi GB deadline of 10 May, I think I might go for something with a little less puttying and sanding 😉

I’m thinking something helicopter at the moment, if I can find a good 1/72 scale kit of a RDAF S-61A Sea King, Sud Aloutte, EH-101 Merlin or maybe MH-60R Seahawk ... 

Thanks again for your advice! 

Edited by desert falcon
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Considering the Scandi GB deadline of 10 May, I think I might go for something with a little less puttying and sanding 😉

I’m thinking something helicopter at the moment, if I can find a good 1/72 scale kit of a RDAF S-61A Sea King, Sud Aloutte, EH-101 Merlin or maybe MH-60R Seahawk ... 

Thanks again for your advice! 

Well you could try to chase down this little AH-1:

5791_1-auto_downl.jpg

It is off course a What-if, since neither Finland or Sweden have used a Cobra operationally, but they do look sweet!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Well you could try to chase down this little AH-1:

5791_1-auto_downl.jpg

It is off course a What-if, since neither Finland or Sweden have used a Cobra operationally, but they do look sweet!

Thanks a lot Christer!

I do indeed like both the Cobra and your idea of a what-if scheme, but being Danish and as our “Flyvevåbnet” (Air Force) are turning 70 next year,  I thought I would be patriotic and build something with the red and white roundel on it. 

As the assortment of kits available with my local dealer here in Dubai (were I am currently living) is a bit limited, I am hoping to do a quick trip up to Copenhagen to pay Stoppel Hobby a visit before X-mas (well and my family, if the fancy seeing me 🙂). From fellow BM members I understand that Stoppel holds a good stock of kits and decals. 

• Like 1

Well done for getting this over the line but unfortunately the timing isn't great for me since it clashes with the run up to the Scottish Nationals at the end of April for which I currently have eight(!) models at various stages of completion. I still hope to come on board and fly the flag for civil airliners but I definitely won't have time for my first choice which was Norwegian's "Freddie Mercury" Boeing 787. At the moment I'm thinking of a Braathens SAFE Boeing 737-500 although I may well have changed my mind before January.

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

...being Danish and as our “Flyvevåbnet” (Air Force) are turning 70 next year,  I thought I would be patriotic and build something with the red and white roundel on it. 

As the assortment of kits available with my local dealer here in Dubai (were I am currently living) is a bit limited, I am hoping to do a quick trip up to Copenhagen to pay Stoppel Hobby a visit before X-mas (well and my family, if the fancy seeing me 🙂). From fellow BM members I understand that Stoppel holds a good stock of kits and decals. 

Hmm, in that case a Danish Air Force subject would be highly appropriate, time to look over the stash and search for decal options perhaps :hmmm:

• Like 1