Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

3 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

I don't know about Viking invasions but I convinced SWMBO and a "Tuga" (Portuguese) couple will "invade" this May the shores of Denmark, Norway and Sweden looking out for Danish pastry and Draken & Viggen flygsimulatorer! :)

Just don’t call them Danish pastries there - If I remember rightly they’re Viennese pastries when in Denmark? 

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Just don’t call them Danish pastries there - If I remember rightly they’re Viennese pastries when in Denmark? 

You are correct, I've done a bit of homework and it's an interesting story, according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry):

"The origin of the Danish pastry is often ascribed to a strike amongst bakery workers in Denmark in 1850. The strike caused bakery owners to hire workers from abroad, among them several Austrian bakers, who brought along new baking traditions and pastry recipes. The Austrian pastry of Plundergebäck soon became popular in Denmark and after the labour disputes ended, Danish bakers adopted the Austrian recipes, adjusting them to their own liking and traditions by increasing the amount of egg and fat for example. This development resulted in what is now known as the Danish pastry.

One of the baking techniques and traditions that the Austrian bakers brought with them was the Viennese lamination technique. Due to such novelties the Danes called the pastry "wienerbrød" (Vienna bread) and, as mentioned, that name is still in use in Northern Europe today."

So, we owe the delicious Danish pastry to an early capitalistic offensive against the working class? Karl Marx would not approve but I cannot resist sweet temptations! 😉

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

So, we owe the delicious Danish pastry to an early capitalistic offensive against the working class? Karl Marx would not approve but I cannot resist sweet temptations!

Given the reputation of Denmark for high tax, good public services and a high level of public happiness we can probably call it a score draw rather than an outright win for capitalism 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Hmm, lets keep the invasions in our distant historical past where they belong and enjoy our European culture. 

Danish pastry looks wonderful, swedish semlor also look like excellent with a cup of tea and what about a norwegian ring cake? Give me sweets with almonds and cream plus some airplanes I never saw in my life, like Drakens and Viggens and I'm a happy man! 😋

Norwegian ring cake, "kransekake" I presume? Very good, lots of almonds in those cakes indeed. And for airplanes you have 3 choices basically, one museum at Gardermoen, Oslo. one at Sola. Stavanger and one in Bodø. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NorwegianWood said:

Norwegian ring cake, "kransekake" I presume? Very good, lots of almonds in those cakes indeed. And for airplanes you have 3 choices basically, one museum at Gardermoen, Oslo. one at Sola. Stavanger and one in Bodø. 

Kransekake, naturlig!

I am still wondering if we have time to go to Norway, we have 10 days from arrival in Copenhagen, maybe going to Oslo and Gardermoen museum via Ängelholm (museum and Draken simulator) and Göteborg, then east to Linköping (Flygvapnet museum) and Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. SWMBO must be kept happy with some shopping and sightseeing too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Göteborg as well?

Here you have Aeroseum (www.aeroseum.se) which is located a little bit outside of town deep in Volvo country (where lots of lorries and cars are built) in the old F9 Säve Wing.

They didn't have hangars above ground, but everything was tunneled down into the bedrock to withstand a near miss from a nuclear weapon, or so they hoped in the end of the 40s when construction started. 

Most of it is now open for visitors, and it's a different experience from the more normal museum locales.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Christer A said:

Göteborg as well?

Here you have Aeroseum (www.aeroseum.se) which is located a little bit outside of town deep in Volvo country (where lots of lorries and cars are built) in the old F9 Säve Wing.

They didn't have hangars above ground, but everything was tunneled down into the bedrock to withstand a near miss from a nuclear weapon, or so they hoped in the end of the 40s when construction started. 

Most of it is now open for visitors, and it's a different experience from the more normal museum locales.

Thanks @Christer A , the Aeroseum is a must!

The underground museum is unique and I'll take a ride in the "Super Viggen" flight simulator, then to Göteborg and some "Gustavus Adolphus" pastry (I suppose it can be eaten all year round?) and some shopping and sighseeing to please Mrs. da Silva. 😉

53 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Thanks @Christer A , the Aeroseum is a must!

The underground museum is unique and I'll take a ride in the "Super Viggen" flight simulator, then to Göteborg and some "Gustavus Adolphus" pastry (I suppose it can be eaten all year round?) and some shopping and sighseeing to please Mrs. da Silva. 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Adolphus_pastry

You can probably find it all year round, but it's much easier to find them in November :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit of Swedish modelling nostalgia from the seventies; Arne Andersson vac formed 1/72 kits, produced in Nyköping. I still have two J21A in my stash, where they are most likely to stay... He did several more Swedish planes back then, I remember building his 32 Lansen, and I started a J21R, I think it was. They were no easy beasts to build from the simple and crude sheet, by today's standard, but they were available when not much else in Swedish colors was. Enjoy:

AAJ21A.jpg

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

A bit of Swedish modelling nostalgia from the seventies; Arne Andersson vac formed 1/72 kits, produced in Nyköping. I still have two J21A in my stash, where they are most likely to stay... He did several more Swedish planes back then, I remember building his 32 Lansen, and I started a J21R, I think it was. They were no easy beasts to build from the simple and crude sheet, by today's standard, but they were available when not much else in Swedish colors was. Enjoy:

AAJ21A.jpg

A nice piece of modelling history Jörgen, would almost be a shame to build it 🙂 

• Like 3

Happy Monday gang.

Had a quick count through the threads to get a scoreboard of subjects and here's the results...

Draken x13

Viggen x10

So the gap between our two most popular subjects has narrowed somewhat but can you guess what's in third place...

F-16 x8

A joint fourth place next...

Grippen and Tunnan x7 each

Fifth place then goes to...

Spitfire x5

Also worth mentioning I feel is another joint entry in sixth most popular subject is...

Hurricane and Starfighter x4 each.

Have to admit I was surprised by some of those results. Was sure there were other subjects more popular than the ones which featured in certain places above but I'm short of time to conduct a recount this evening. Then again our GB is moving so fast the situation could well have changed by this time tomorrow :frantic:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, helios16v said:

With the popularity of the Viggen/Draken, I may have to lean towards an alternate plan.  Maybe a MiG-21bis or SA-11?  :hmmm:

More Viggen/Draken will never be a bad thing and just as welcome as your MiG-21bis or SA-11 Chris. Of course what you don't choose to build here will be eligible for the Interceptor GB ;) 

6 hours ago, Col. said:

More Viggen/Draken will never be a bad thing and just as welcome as your MiG-21bis or SA-11 Chris. Of course what you don't choose to build here will be eligible for the Interceptor GB ;) 

Interceptors.....Sheeeeeit, we got half a closet full of stuff that qualifies for the Interceptor GB.  :coolio:

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Interceptors.....Sheeeeeit, we got half a closet full of stuff that qualifies for the Interceptor GB.  :coolio:

Good man :D

2 hours ago, Orso said:

Birds allowed?

Throw a blue swastika or three crown roundel on its belly and that should do the trick. Decal setting solutions have come a long way lately and it'll look a tweet (I mean) treat! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, helios16v said:

well now you don't have an excuse not to be building something!!! :D

11 hours ago, Orso said:

Birds allowed?

Bullfinches are one of the birds that stay in Sweden during the winter and I have a kit waiting to be built.

.....or do they come from Sweden and stay somewhere else???

If Ikea is in a Bullfinch can be??? :blink:

• Haha 1

.....oh and thank you to @Col. for toting up all the numbers....I gave up as just being host is eating up so much build time!

WE now have 113 build threads at the end of the first month of the GB.....and we still have 3 months to go! :yikes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

....or do they come from Sweden and stay somewhere else???

If Ikea is in a Bullfinch can be??? :blink:

I say yes to the Bullfinch as it'll continue the theme of variety this GB seems to be enjoying :shrug:

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

.....oh and thank you to @Col. for toting up all the numbers....I gave up as just being host is eating up so much build time!

WE now have 113 build threads at the end of the first month of the GB.....and we still have 3 months to go! :yikes:

Thanks Rich, my pleasure :)

Know what you mean about eating up time though; I've not touched either of my intended kits yet :(