Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

12 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

I hope my son never gets one. I rememeber how many km/h that I made with one of those on the German autobahn, and that one wasn’t even tuned :o

Yes, don't we all hope our kids (especially sons probably) don't do the stuff we did... 

44 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Yes, don't we all hope our kids (especially sons probably) don't do the stuff we did... 

Yip. As the saying goes, don't do anything I wouldn't do. Or, indeed, half the things I would!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Okay...   I've put up a couple of build threads.  Alea iacta est.  :D

I just have to make sure I update them regularly.  I'm sure you lot will keep me honest.  :lol:

Hi Enzo

Long time since I got my latin "O" Level but "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" comes to mind. Nice to see you having a go at what looks like a potential "Monster Build".

Pete

15 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Dave, the Swedish domina models you´re interested in are here. I did a quick non-scientific survey of the listed builds, and it looks like this.

Sweden: 39 points

Finland: 22 points

Norway: 11 points

Other: 10 points (Austria, Vikings, log truck etc.)

Denmark: 7 points

Iceland: 1 point

I counted 90 builds in 87 threads. I didn´t count the Viggen vs. Draken competition. BTW our son had a beautiful blue MY2000 SAAB 9-3 2,0tA with a BSR Stage 1 235bhp/350Nm tuning kit. His first own car! It wasn´t a Viggen but mighty fast (and loud) too, so we called her Draken. A Draken, you know, is the best way to convert fuel into maximum amount of fast moving decibels :coolio:. V-P

thanks for the list VP, interesting statistics, if I have time I may try to delve into them more........I has spreadsheet! :D

Hmmm small children and there cars... mine started with a Suzuki Swift (good car to learn on), then a 6.2L V8 Monster Holden Commodore, eventually turned to around 375kw/500bhp (had to have something more powerful than mine, a very special tuned track version), now he's got an Audi RS3!! He's just about to turn 24.

• Like 1

I am really enjoying this GB, but then as a Yorkshireman I suppose I might just have some "Nordic" blood myself! A DNA survey a few years back showed that nearly 25% of people from my home county had the so called "Viking Gene" which is perhaps not too surprising as Jorvik (York) was capital of the area settled by the "Norsemen" for quite some years. Of course it might just mean that our Great Grandmothers or other female ancestors had a one night stand with a Nordic crewman off a boat docked in Hull, but I guess some families may go back to the original settlers - might explain my mad urge to go "Viking" when I am getting poor service in shops etc.:bangin:

Cheers

Pete Longbeard

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 11

53 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Pardon my ignorance, can I design my own group build banner or is there an official GB banner? And how can I show it in my posts?

you're more than welcome to design your own banner, we generally don't have official banners. Generally the least lazy amount us will create one for the rest of us lazy ones to use.......if we can be bothered!! :D

Ok we're just about to start our 4th week of this GB and about to go into the 4 page with builds and just 4 away from having 100 build threads! 

We already have 5 builds in the gallery, well done all, and if I miss a day of going though build progresses then the updates go through to the second page!!! :yikes: I think I maybe spending more time looking at everyone else builds than actually doing mine!

All this and for a while I was actually worried that this GB mightn't have made it into the GB's this year!! With 2 days to go we were actually on the cutoff line and facing elimination!! 

Thankfully we made it and now you've all turned it into a huge event, well done a thank you. :worthy:

now I'd better get cracking on my wee boat!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

And how can I show it in my posts?

Put your banner online with the rest of your photo's, then link to it (just like you embed photo's in your posts) in your Account settings --> signature. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Göran @Pantera has kindly posted a pic on my Heller JA37 Jaktviggen build thread which raises a few questions. Firstly it shows that the outsides of the lower airbrakes were painted red - is that normal and were the upper fuselage ones the same? Also his pic shows the belly drop tank mounted under the gun pack and with 4 fins not the 3 that Heller provide - again is that normal? Lastly, I have some spare Fireflash missiles from a Tornado F2 kit and was considering mounting them on the belly pylons instead of the Sidewinders provided - will the kit rails need altering? I will of course have to add an extra fin as they are not recessed on the Viggen.

Hopefully somebody can answer these questions for me so I can finish the kit off.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by PeterB

On 2/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, vppelt68 said:

This is a question @AaCee26 is the best man of all the Britmodeller members to reply

V-P,

Thank you for the confidence!

What I can say was already in the linked threat. Basically colours were Soviet equivalents of the BS-colours used in Hawks, Learjts etc. although not very close ones :D You should know the aircraft serial to select the right colours and if it has been re-painted in Finnish colours or not.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

@PeterB Lower airbrakes are red brown, yes. Somekind of anti corrosion paint if I remember correctly. Upper ones are normal external color. Not sure why, maybe because the lower ones are perforated has something to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Pardon my ignorance, can I design my own group build banner or is there an official GB banner? And how can I show it in my posts?

And if you make your own please include the red from the danish and norwegian flag. And please make it possible for others to use it. Maybe I get tempted to get out a F-16 from the stash and give it a go in the GB. Thx in advance 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorwegianWood said:

And if you make your own please include the red from the danish and norwegian flag. And please make it possible for others to use it. Maybe I get tempted to get out a F-16 from the stash and give it a go in the GB. Thx in advance 🙂

Thanks for your comment, I just wanted to make a personal banner, perhaps only with Drakens, but I understand your request for the colours of Denmark, Norway and Iceland to be included in the GB banner.

First let's do some homework and find what colours are right, I need RGB codes to use and according to Wikipedia:

Denmark & Norway Red: Pantone 186C = RGB 200, 16, 46

Finland Blue: Pantone 294C = RGB 0, 47, 108

Iceland & Norway Blue: Pantone 287C = RGB 2, 82, 156

Iceland Red: Pantone 199C = RGB 220, 30, 53

Sweden Blue: Pantone 301C = RGB 0, 75, 135

Sweden Yellow: Pantone 116C = RGB 254, 203, 0

Now for the difficult part, what do we make with this?!

Edited by Rui Silva
Text

37 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Now for the difficult part, what do we make with this?!

Yellow midnight sun on a bloodred sky over a blue ocean with five Drakens flying overhead, each coloured with the flagcolours of each nation 😎

Looks good, uh?

At least in my head...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, NorwegianWood said:

Yellow midnight sun on a bloodred sky over a blue ocean with five Drakens flying overhead, each coloured with the flagcolours of each nation 😎

Looks good, uh?

At least in my head...

Hmm... the midnight sun is a good "graphic idea", I'm thinking about the sun in the dark blue sky and in a turquoise sea the "reflected sunbursts" in the colours of the five nordic nations. 

I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Edited by Rui Silva
Text
  • Like 2