Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

22 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

as long as the markings/scheme is correct go for it.

Now the Wellesley is different!

Here is the Finnish option.

8gxwgLG.jpg

And I have photos of both Finnish and Swedish Bulldogs in all the possible markings. Including the early Black/White and Blue/Gold roundels. 

Dennis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

...And I have photos of both Finnish and Swedish Bulldogs in all the possible markings. Including the early Black/White and Blue/Gold roundels...

You clearly need more Bulldog kits Dennis ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here we are one full week and a day into the party gang and it's a busy one with great varity in the subjects. Had a quick count of the most popular subjects as I'd a feeling the Viggen and Draken were vying for front runners but the numbers surprised me. At the moment we have six Viggen within the ranks but twelve Draken! Next most popular are the J 21 and Grippen with four apeice so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

gosh 12 Drakens!!!! :yikes: ....quick someone turn on the light and turn of the Barry White music!!!

Anyone would think they're a nice looking jet or something!! :D Come on Viggen (and no not Vegan) lovers, you can't let those wee Draken's hog all the spotlight!!!

I am super happy with all the non-military builds we have so far, it's great to see these in a GB....all too often they don't get to join the fun.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh 12 Drakens!!!! :yikes: ....quick someone turn on the light and turn of the Barry White music!!!

Anyone would think they're a nice looking jet or something!! :D Come on Viggen (and no not Vegan) lovers, you can't let those wee Draken's hog all the spotlight!!!

I was thinking to break out my Draken kit soon but now thinking the Viggen needs some loving instead. Or do I use this as justification to treat myself to that Special Hobby double set... :hmmm:

2020-01-25_02-36-53

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I am super happy with all the non-military builds we have so far, it's great to see these in a GB....all too often they don't get to join the fun.

I'm with you on that sentiment Rich. Great to see civilian subjects getting some attention :D 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Hi. 

As I've already stated, my youngest son and I took the car and drove south for 130 km today.
We visited the F11 Museum in Skavsta/Linköping.
49443623673_70f1b0fd5e_h.jpg20200126_120905 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

The F11 Wing was the main recce wing of the Swedish Airforce, and they've flown every recon aircraft we've had.
I've added a small excursion report in the "Reference thread". 

/Bosse 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 24/01/2020 at 21:26, trickyrich said:

now you're here you can tell us what you're building for this GB??

SH37 Viggen in 1/72 carrying Rb 04 BFMs

Stridsvagen 103C in 1/35

Norwegian F-16A MLU in 1/72, carrying Penguin missiles

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Stridsvagen 103C in 1/35

If I recall correctly, Norsk MLU:s could carry, but no longer launch, Penguins. Maybe backdate to proper A:s then? V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Stridsvagen 103C in 1/35

A trio of great subjects Enzo. The Viggen and her BFMs easily makes for my favourite but the 103C and Penguin-toting F-16 are cool as well.

While still on the subject of the beautiful Viggen @Marlinwas kind enough to share this photograph when I was asking about early natural metal Viggens entering squadron service :wub:

zmYqNGu8N0mtqrycxxusxSyoIE-lsyQmfef6PYVj

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

early natural metal Viggens entering squadron service

Could a well painted NMF Viggen end up looking as good as one in Splinter scheme? Now there’s a challenge for someone who’s undecided about which way to go on their Viggen build... both quite challenging but so rewarding if done well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Could a well painted NMF Viggen end up looking as good as one in Splinter scheme? Now there’s a challenge for someone who’s undecided about which way to go on their Viggen build... both quite challenging but so rewarding if done well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I was looking on it as a great excuse reason to add more Viggen kits to the stash :D 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Stridsvagen 103C in 1/35

I knew you wouldn't let us down!! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

that is a bit of a challenge as the base models (in 1/48th) need a bit of body work to look nice...not really what you'd want for a NMF build. But those ones in the photo above do look rather smart!

I hope no one minds me linking this thread that I’ve just created in the Cold War section. Just seeing if any Norwegian experts can answer my query on F-5A squadron codes and serials, so that I can start to model a real example within this GB.

Cheers and thanks for looking.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

If in doubt do something different. As I am not brilliant at NMF and have not got the patience for the splinter I will take the 3rd option - Grey!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next to be tested in Finnish AF HX Challenge is the Gripen E. Currently at Pirkkala AB in Finland, it's the first trip aboard for the E. I can only dream... Photo courtesy of Siivet- magazine, model courtesy of SAAB.

2020-01-30_12-52-41

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Of course! And to strengthen the co-operation and bond between our military forces, we should add a new logo combining the war banners of both countries in the aircraft, vehicles and vessels: the Finnish blue cross on a white base and the Swedish white cross on a white base :rofl2:

• Haha 2

A question about Viggen load outs.

I am basing my model on the artwork for the Airfix kit which shows 2x Ro4 ASM, and 3 under fuselage pylons, the centre one with a strange looking missile. 

How realistic is this load out and what is the central missile? 

Could the Viggen lift 2x R04 and a drop tank?

Thanks Colin 

No idea what the Rb 04 that came with my Airfix 1971 prototype Viggen are supposed to be or how accurate they are!  I believe the Lansen carried either the C or D version, and that the E version was designed for use with the Viggen  - anybody know what the difference between the 3 versions was? Wiki says that the E version had larger wings but gives no dimensions and as I intend to use them on my Lansen I am wondering what if any modifications I should try to make. On Bosse's build of the A32A his 04 seem to have a number of small windows underneath, which the Airfix ones lack. Any information would be helpful.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Ok folks, we're almost to the 2 week mark for this GB, and we're already onto the 4 page!!!

Right some interesting stuff from the GB so far.......well I think it's interesting....

76 - builds

57 - members building, with a number of multiple builds, @Touvdal has the lead so far with 5 & @PeterB is right behind at 4.

Now a first a breakdown of countries that members come from (that's if their details are correct and yes that's why I was looking at profiles...not too stalk I promise!!), of course the UK will/should have the highest with 27 members but as for the others:

Australia - 6

Canada - 3

USA - 3

Denmark - 2

Finland - 2

Italy - 2

Netherlands - 2

Sweden - 2

Austria - 1

Greece - 1

Iceland - 1

Norway - 1

Portugal - 1

Serbia - 1

Thailand - 1

UAE - 1

I can't promise to keep this up (I even did a nice pie graph as well!!), I am struggling just to keep up with all the builds! Been too bust to work on my beast but will do tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've just seen the gallery!!!  :D   @wimbledon99 just seen you magnificent Ikea masterpiece!! Well done and it looks like it even works. :thumbsup:

It can stay in as long as we don't have too many builds, if so then I'll have to get Enzo to start a new gallery for the Ikea builds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I've just seen the gallery!!!  :D   @wimbledon99 just seen you magnificent Ikea masterpiece!! Well done and it looks like it even works. :thumbsup:

It is indeed magnificent, but in the fever of getting it built he forgot something :wicked: ... quote: "All builds must have a WIP thread showing progress, models cannot go into the gallery unless there is a build thread for them." I´m not interested in wip pics of the masterpiece but I´d like to have seen the agonized look on Nigel´s face assembling it if using the ubiquitous IKEA provided hexagon assembly tool :rofl:. We´ve all been there, done that, let´s forgive him 😊. I just hope he had the correct one :laugh:.

dcaed49441567.560ce71bd0dae

• Haha 11