Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Rich B said:

Sprue Brothers has the Special Hobby 1/72 AJ-37/SK-37 double kit on sale today. One jumped into my cart and forced me to buy it.

Cheers,

Rich

I saw that one.....I've resisted the urge so far.....

But I kinda want it even more for the book.  The kits are just bonus.  :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

And how many will do both...?

you're a crazy brave man!!! Lets see if the masking finally tips you over the edge?? :D

I won't say who...but some say you've already speeding down the slope! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rich B said:

If I get my act together, markings are included in the kit for splinter and natural metal for both versions. Of course, some might say the metal finish isn't the simpler choice.

Cheers,

Rich

masks are available for the 1/72nd kit (I did the 1/48th one), it's a very laborious job but totally worth it in the end.

A big tip use a super thin paint, something like Mr. Paint Lacquers (they have the right colours for it) or whatever else you'll end up with paint ridges between the colours.

There's no right or wrong way to do the masking or laying down the colours. Logic would say go light to dark: Tan, Mid Green, Dark Green, Black. But for ease of masking the opposite would probably be the better way and actually simpler. I used this method on my "Splinter MiG", another masking nightmare. If I was to do the Viggen again I would go this method.

1 minute ago, helios16v said:

I saw that one.....I've resisted the urge so far.....

But I kinda want it even more for the book.  The kits are just bonus.  :lol:

You know resistance is futile!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

But for ease of masking the opposite would probably be the better way and actually simpler.

Nice tip, thanks. I’ve just ordered an original 1977 Heller Viggen boxing but won’t be building it during the Scandi GB, but don’t worry, there’ll be at least one ‘SAAB’ from me in there! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

I think I will be building a 1/48 Hasegawa Saab Draken converted to a recon version. I have got a resin nose from aires and some other goodies. 

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 7

@Rabbit Leader...the slack bottom I am will try to get the Draken away to you today, I completely forgot about it yesterday! :wall:

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

I think I will be building a 1/48 Hasegawa Saab Draken converted to a recon version. I have got a resin nose from aires and some other goodies. 

Cheers,

nice!!! :thumbsup:

I had intended to build one as well until the CB-90 stole my interest!! 

• Thanks 1

They both look really nice @Marlin, I have plans to build both subjects sometime next year, however my budget and abilities will only allow the 1/72 Heller offerings. I look forward to following your progress and actually seeing what these kits are all about. 

Cheers.. Dave 

12 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hi. 

Since I can't decide what to build, so I'll do a double build of SAAB J21 and J29 for this GB.
156 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
097 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

Both in 1/48 and from Pilot Replicas
/Bosse 

I like these very much!!! 

It'lll be very interesting to see how they build up, the J29 is quite tempting.

• Thanks 1

Oh dear, the Mustang GB is still cleaning up after takeoff and here's another on the horizon to start (resume) thinking about.  Why do I always remember the "Christmas Present" Draken halfway through December?  If I do it for the GB, I'll avoid that problem...  (I've got the kit, the decals, and the recon nose bit- I wonder if there's anything else I need?)

• Like 1

mmm it be something in the water up there!!! Completely bonkers!!!

Though I do love the Monty Python tune! :thumbsup:

Plus good to see the "Ghost of Christmas Past" aka Rabbit Leader is still with us, in spirit anyway. That must have been almost what it was like when he went shopping with Mrs Rabbit Leader, she leading and him being dragged along!!! :rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, trickyrich said:

you know I have a Heller one I acquired which doesn't look likes it's been started yet. Some parts have been removed but all look to be there, the decals are pretty crap though.

You can have it if you like, I'll never build it.

And now thanks to the most generous @trickyrich a wrapped Heller Draken now sits safely under Rabbit Leader’s Christmas tree. It’s nice to now that I’ll have at least one model kit this year which I think has been a tradition since I was at least 10. 

Once again, thanks so much Rich, I’ll do my best to do it justice within this GB. Merry Christmas to you as your family from me and Mrs RL (who has just rolled her eyes at the Xmas label)

Cheers.. Dave 

49245880527_52f6d6a0c6_b.jpg

49245880352_9487061885_b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

nice to see I can add being Santa to my ever growing resume! :santa:

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with her.......the plane not Mrs RL!!!! :door:

now enough of the niceness.......time to be the Xmas Grinch and annoy people......oh @Enzo Matrix, @JOCKNEY :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with her.......the plane not Mrs RL!!!! :door:

Now there’s an obvious opening there, however for the sake of keeping my membership open, I think I’ll leave that one alone! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

On 12/17/2019 at 9:47 AM, Marlin said:

Hi. 

Since I can't decide what to build, so I'll do a double build of SAAB J21 and J29 for this GB.
49107890623_24d9400b44_k.jpg156 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
48364835606_ba0fd5bb20_k.jpg097 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

Both in 1/48 and from Pilot Replicas
/Bosse 

Very interesting! Good choice!!

I have the Austrian boxing ( that is available again :) :) )

and the  J21 because it is soo different !

maybe uf time remains after the Viggen or Draken.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm leaning towards the following:

Revell 1/72 MiG-21F-13 (Finnish Air Force)

Hasegawa 1/72 CF-104 Starfighter (Royal Norwegian Air Force)

Italeri 1/72 F-100F Super Sabre (Royal Danish Air Force)

Special Hobby 1/72 AJ-37 Viggen (Swedish Air Force)

Pretty unlikely that I would finish them all - but hey, one can try...

• Like 5

I too am planning (at least) one build from each of the four nations. Sure it’s a little ambitious however is all in the aid of fun so why not! 

Sweden - Heller Saab Lansen / Draken 

Finland - Heller Saab Safir

Norway - Esci Northrop F-5 / Heller RF-84F 

Denmark - Esci North American F-100D

Theres also a back-up group of builds however best get through this lot first I think! Wish me luck. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

On 12/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone know what’s the story with the Heller kit, has it always been this difficult to track down?

The Heller Draken always sold quickly when it was released as it was the only kit with the two Seater option and also only had to compete with the original Revell kit and the Airfix kit.  

Also looking at Scalemates it hasn't been rereleased as many times as the Viggen which probably accounts for it's relative "rarity".  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very interesting! Good choice!!

I have the Austrian boxing ( that is available again :) :) )

and the  J21 because it is soo different !

maybe uf time remains after the Viggen or Draken.....

Thanks Werner. :D 

I was planing to do an S35 Draken, but I haven't got the resin sets I'd like to use on it and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment. 

So that will be done some other day.

/Bosse

3 hours ago, Marlin said:

Thanks Werner. :D 

I was planing to do an S35 Draken, but I haven't got the resin sets I'd like to use on it and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment. 

So that will be done some other day.

/Bosse

Tunnan is more than nice!

What kind of resin upgrade would you have liked to use on the Draken