Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

41 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

.....oh and thank you to @Col. for toting up all the numbers....I gave up as just being host is eating up so much build time!

WE now have 113 build threads at the end of the first month of the GB.....and we still have 3 months to go! :yikes:

Jeebus 113!

If I can fix this damn yellow on 452 I should finish in 3 months lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

well now you don't have an excuse not to be building something!!! :D

.....or do they come from Sweden and stay somewhere else???

If Ikea is in a Bullfinch can be??? :blink:

Oh, Ikea did sell them: Ikea ”Domherre”, it’s quite fittingly a birdhouse:

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kindergarderobe-vogelhaus-ikea-domherre/1315476491-20-8345

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WE now have 113 build threads at the end of the first month of the GB.....and we still have 3 months to go! :yikes:

:blink2:  Damn.

Now I'm off to see when the Interceptor build is......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

This is good.  Now just need to find some of this so called time.  :whistle:

When you do get some for me as well please :pray:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

There is no way that the forum software can handle that number of entries in a poll!   You've all broken the forum!!!  :lol:

Nearer the time we are going to have to put our heads together and come up with alternative strategies.  

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Oh, Ikea did sell them: Ikea ”Domherre”, it’s quite fittingly a birdhouse:

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kindergarderobe-vogelhaus-ikea-domherre/1315476491-20-8345

hmmmm what's the saying????  "you say it you build it!!!" :D Gotta have somewhere for @Orso Finches to go to! 

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

This is good.  Now just need to find some of this so called time.  :whistle:

Time??? Modelling comes first, everything else is a distraction to modelling time! Just think how much better you'll feel once you start building a model, all your worries and troubles will disappear....replaced with hours of plastic bliss, the aromatherapy of glue and paint (resin for me), the cardio workout fighting the carpet monster over that tiny cockpit piece!! Oh I'm now totally relaxed just thinking about it.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There is no way that the forum software can handle that number of entries in a poll!   You've all broken the forum!!!  :lol:

Nearer the time we are going to have to put our heads together and come up with alternative strategies.  

...it breaks very easily!!! :whistle:

Yes that though had occurred to me as well, 75 is the maximum for the poll. I was about to say what did you do with the Frog GB, but saw there wasn't a poll. Maybe we might have to start a second gallery if we get close to the 70 mark.......which at the rate of some of these multi-builders won't be too far away!

Gosh the dramas of having a very popular GB, and it was only 4th, what's got to happen with the "in the Navy" one!!! :yikes:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Orso said:

I don't understand the thing with a poll

When each Britmodeller Group build ends, the host has the ability to create a poll where members get to vote for their favourite builds. The build with the most votes is declared the winner and normally he/she gets a nice pat on the back from others on a job well done.

The BM software has a limit on how many entries can be voted for and it would appear that this Nordic GB has already exceeded that number. Personally, I’m just happy to have finished a model and have it on display, so the fact that no vote will take place at the end of the GB is not a big concern for me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for wandering in to the Nordic gb, as some will know (because I've mentioned it before) I have a project involving Austrian air force planes, because my wife is half Austrian (through her mother) and one such item in the project is the Saab safir.

I am following the safir builds with interest, as I am the Tunnan, Draken and Saab 105 (all flown by the Austrian air force) and I was hoping the BM Nordic massive wouldn't mind offering some advice on the safir.

As virtually all the other aircraft in my Austrian project will be in nmf, I'm going to do the Safir in the all over yellow scheme shown in the box.

trouble is, the instruction simply says Swedish trainer yellow. Checking IPMS stockholm I get a reference for FS 36555. I'm not sure I can match that to an existing Humbrol/Mr Color/Tamiya paint, through Humbrol Insignia yellow seems to be a good match.

I think it needs to be a more orangey yellow than yellow, and I was wondering if there are any thoughts on a fair match?

I'm not averse to using a rattle can of car paint from Halfords or the Range (hycote); I find the Halfords paint to be pretty good (I use their Matt black paint as a primer, it's a very good, dense black and adhered well).

@Whofan have you tried Mr.Color’s Character Yellow C109? It’s certainly got that deep Orange Yellow hue to it and IMO looks the part. I’ve used this on an Airfix Beaver Antarctic build, but it does take a few good applications before the true colour pops out. I won’t even try to match it to an equivalent FS number but it might do the trick. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Whofan have you tried Mr.Color’s Character Yellow C109? It’s certainly got that deep Orange Yellow hue to it and IMO looks the part. I’ve used this on an Airfix Beaver Antarctic build, but it does take a few good applications before the true colour pops out. I won’t even try to match it to an equivalent FS number but it might do the trick. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I haven.t, but I can ! In fct, I have  Mr Color chart I picked up at a show and while I spotted the Japanese aircraft orange-yellow, I missed the character yellow! it does, from that little cship on the colour card, look the part.

I know my 2nd nearest LMS (I am spoilt for choice, I have 4 within 20 miles) stocks Mr Hobby, so there will be a visit soon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hmmmm what's the saying????  "you say it you build it!!!" :D Gotta have somewhere for @Orso Finches to go to! 

Terribly sorry, they no longer sell it, and buying a used example would clearly violate the 25% rule.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Terribly sorry, they no longer sell it, and buying a used example would clearly violatr the 25% tule.

you still can but it won't be able to go into the gallery......and the way it's going neither will some of the other builds as well!!! Arrr @Enzo Matrix!! :D

But what is poor @Orso going to do with his Finches!!!! :crying:

• Haha 1

Gosh dam it!!!!!  :rant:

In less that 12 hours I have a page of new updates to go though!!!

Don't you lot have something else you should be doing...say work....rather than spending all you time building models!!

Oh wait....isn't that what I tell everyone....models before everything else! Doh!!  :doh:

• Haha 7

I have a random wondering...

The Airfix Draken has some pretty iconic markings, with the yellow cheques on the wings and fin.  Are those markings accurate?  I haven't been able to find any photographs.

29 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Airfix Draken has some pretty iconic markings, with the yellow cheques on the wings and fin.  Are those markings accurate?  I haven't been able to find any photographs.

Aerofax Minigraph 12 is your source for a few photos of those markings. I'm sure there's further discussion of the markings and their purpose on one of the Draken threads in this GB :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Hi Enzo,

If you look at my Draken build you will see an explanation from Christer - they were applied for a major "air defence" exercise in I believe 1968 and were supposed to be removed afterwards, but in some cases they lingered for several years. One side used yellow and the other red as I recall. This link explains it.

https://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/information-och-fakta/var-historia/artiklar/o68/.

Incidentally the Lansen I modelled had similar markings but I chose to model both aircraft as they might have been just before the exercise, and without the markings.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordering from Stoppel decals??? 

Now I'd like to build a Hasegawa 1/72 F-104 in the early Danish 'Grey' scheme and it would appear that Stoppel has a decal sheet which fits the bill nicely (072170).

I have now sent them two emails (one week apart) with respect to a possible decal purchase, however have yet to receive a reply to either of my queries.  Can I ask the members on here -  

• Has anyone else had the same issue?
  • Is there any member who lives close to the store that is happy to act as a possible purchasing agent (funds can be sent prior)?

I know this sounds a little strange, however I'm unlikely to proceed with this build if I can't source the correct decals (IMO - the new Xtradecal sheet has inaccuracies, so not a suitable substitute). 

Cheers and regards.. Dave   

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ordering from Stoppel decals??? 

Now I'd like to build a Hasegawa 1/72 F-104 in the early Danish 'Grey' scheme and it would appear that Stoppel has a decal sheet which fits the bill nicely (072170).

I have now sent them two emails (one week apart) with respect to a possible decal purchase, however have yet to receive a reply to either of my queries.  Can I ask the members on here -  

• Has anyone else had the same issue?
  • Is there any member who lives close to the store that is happy to act as a possible purchasing agent (funds can be sent prior)?

I know this sounds a little strange, however I'm unlikely to proceed with this build if I can't source the correct decals (IMO - the new Xtradecal sheet has inaccuracies, so not a suitable substitute). 

Cheers and regards.. Dave   

Hi Dave

Though I no longer live in Denmark, being Danish, I would be happy to give Stoppel a call on Monday, to try and help you on your order. Not sure if it would help, but maybe it’s a language barrier? 

Cheers

Johnny

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Hi Dave

Though I no longer live in Denmark, being Danish, I would be happy to give Stoppel a call on Monday, to try and help you on your order. Not sure if it would help, but maybe it’s a language barrier? 

Cheers

Johnny

That’s awfully kind of you Johnny. Now that you mention ‘a language thing’ I’m just wondering if I should resend my email in Danish? I’ll use google translate and see where this gets me. Failing that, I might take you up on your kind offer. I’ll keep you posted. 

Come to think of it, Mrs RL is from Danish stock, however in reality she’s more Australian than I am!

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1