Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

Hi all,

Anybody here is flying in DCS? I'm just starting my journey in this very complex combat flying simulator and yesterday I bought the AJS 37 Viggen module, it was on sale at an "irresistible" price.

I made 3 flights with the Viggen, just shooting visual circuits, it seems a good low-level attack aircraft with a somewhat strange cockpit layout (with metric units); I noticed the airbrake doesn't work with landing gear down and you don't need it as with all that ironmongery dangling there's drag enough. I've already used thrust reverse, it's funny taxiing a combat aircraft in reverse; after landing I think a simple parabrake does the same thing with much simpler mechanics, lower weight and cost.

Back to cutting elevons in my Draken #2 kit!

7fdb69de3d5df219fde91734bbee0d44.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

Anybody here is flying in DCS? I'm just starting my journey in this very complex combat flying simulator and yesterday I bought the AJS 37 Viggen module, it was on sale at an "irresistible" price

I'ts a great module for a great simulator. Truly a 'study SIM' where patience is rewarded and you really need to learn things. I've been flying mostly the Viggen, started building a home sim cockpit for it and so on. But currently on hold, because of plastic models, what else... :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

after landing I think a simple parabrake does the same thing with much simpler mechanics, lower weight and cost.

Well, it all depends in the requirements. Viggens design is very much a result of the STOL demand. Runways around 800 m were the goals, especially road bases.

With a thrust reverser, you're able to use a larger force for braking, than just a parabrake.

In fact, the landing distance is often a bit less than 500m (some hotshot pilots were convinced that they could've landed on a carrier if the they could use the entire deck)

Edit, just saw that there are quite a few videos of DCS where people try to do this :)

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

I've already used thrust reverse, it's funny taxiing a combat aircraft in reverse; after landing I think a simple parabrake does the same thing with much simpler mechanics, lower weight and cost.

Come with me, if you will, to an airshow in the 80s. During the flying display a Viggen enters stage right and lands, hits the thrust reversers and comes to a quick stop, executes a sharp 180 degree turn, brakes on - full reheat - brakes off, gone! In not much longer than it took me to type this out.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Col. said:

Come with me, if you will, to an airshow in the 80s. During the flying display a Viggen enters stage right and lands, hits the thrust reversers and comes to a quick stop, executes a sharp 180 degree turn, brakes on - full reheat - brakes off, gone! In not much longer than it took me to type this out.

Like this? It's a nice party trick and only the Viggen could do it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Although nowadays I don't build aircraft, I remember building a Viggen when I was a boy. I liked it because of the unusual look with those extra wings. Of course, like all my models back then, it fell apart after a couple of months 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reini said:

Rough landing? :D

No, they were on a shelf and after a while pieces would just start falling off hahaha... I was never very patient so that must have had something to do with it. I'm happy that it's better now 🙂 

Before I go ahead and order some decals, I thought that I should check up on the eligibility of this proposed build. Looking through the stash I have come across this Airfix Skyking Caravelle. My plan would be to finish it in the original delivery scheme of a Scandinavian Airlines System operated aircraft. Being an early version the mouldings are crisp and this box contains the original tube glue (still viscose) that were included with boxed kits back then, but because the kit is second hand the wings have been glued together. I wondered if there would be any objection to me including this because, whilst these constitute a major part of the build, I feel that it still falls within the 25% rule.

49424155433_b6fa1bd6a8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49424803107_e577ba2d1e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

If everything is OK, I will order the decals.

• Like 8

she'll be fine John, it'll be something a bit different which is good to see.

There's still plenty of work to be done on her so no worries at all, go for it.

Am interested to see the colour scheme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well folks I'm really struggling to keep up with all the builds!!! Seem like I don't look at the threads for a day and I have 2 pages worth to catchup with.

Well done!!! :thumbsup:  

We're not even into our first week of the build and we have 65+ builds in progress and one completed already!!!

Our Nordic reference staff have been very busy and for once they love being the centre of attention! :D

Keep up the great work folks.

Plus we have even discovered a new creature!!!! The Nordic Carpet Monster - "Nordious Domesticus Plastocarnvorus"!!  :yikes:   This is a subspecies of the more common "Domesticus Plastocarnvorus", but this one can actually survive on wooden floors and by all accounts still remain very well feed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Oo, just noticed this. I’ve been wanting to do a few Finnish wwii builds, a Blenheim and Hurricane for starters so wouldn’t mind coming along for the ride with one of them :)

go for it, both choices sound great or an Enzo the Greater says "build them all"!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Which implies that there are two Enzos!  :yikes: 

.....and speaker of the devil!!!! 

2 Enzo's perish the thought.....now you're here you can tell us what you're building for this GB??

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, woody37 said:

Oo, just noticed this. I’ve been wanting to do a few Finnish wwii builds, a Blenheim and Hurricane for starters so wouldn’t mind coming along for the ride with one of them :)

May I cast a vote for the Blenheim please?

• Like 1