Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

22 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Sean, I was considering objecting (facetiously), but when I saw the scheme, how could I? 

The Scandinavians can definitely pull off a classy special scheme. The Norwegian Airforce did a rather nice one as well in 2012 I think it was.

Sean

36 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Now how do I explain to Mrs Hx that I'm spending time this month with a Scandily-clad model ? :hmmm:

I'm sure if you put it exactly like that you'll get plenty free time and peace to carry on :lol: 

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2020 at 2:51 PM, Mig Eater said:

Well it was just a quick edit to change them. funnily I originally used "nordGB" for the image's file names because I thought "ScandinavianGB" was to long, must have been a premonition 😛

brit_nordgb3.jpg

brit_nordgb4.jpg

Good evening modellers.

I supported this GB both with my name as one of the 30, and also with a vote. I have several kits in the stash that will fit this GB, with connections to all the Nordic countries. It's been a long time since my last completed build so I am a little anxious to get started on something that I won't finish. One thing that could get me to pull a kit out from the stash could be a redesigned GB banner. So please Mig Eater, could you include some red in the banner? As in the Norwegian 🇳🇴, Danish 🇩🇰 and Icelandic 🇮🇸 flag? As the banner is now it's Sweden 🇸🇪 turning into Finland 🇫🇮turning into giving up 🏳️ 🤔.

Please, some red please 🙏

• Like 3

well as you've all already guess the build is now live so no excuses to not be player with you scantily clad Nordic model......or models if you're really lucky!!

I and so chuffed with the range of builds here so far, though we still need a train and a car to complete it.

I'll be following all the builds as best I can....so don't worry I'll be watching you all!

ok now for some trivia...

The RAAF came very close to having a few different Swedish aircraft in service. All were evaluated but for various reasons dropped from the selection process;

Saab 105 (MB-326H Macchi was selected)

Saab Draken to replace the Sabre (Mirage IIIO/D selected)

Saab Viggen to replace the Mirage (F/A-18A/B selected)

Saab Gripen to replace the F/A-18A/B (F-35 selected :wall:)

There are some intersection WhatIf's in that selection, a RAAF Viggen in a modified splinter scheme?? :wub:

Anyway good luck to all with your builds.......I'm off now to play with me wee boat!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Saab 105 (MB-326H Macchi was selected)

Saab Draken to replace the Sabre (Mirage IIIO/D selected)

Saab Viggen to replace the Mirage (F/A-18A/B selected)

Saab Gripen to replace the F/A-18A/B (F-35 selected :wall:)

I sympathize with your choice of emoji. An RAAF Draken, Viggen, or Gripen would definitely look kool !  

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what would the original finish on green Lansen, Draken and Viggen have been before it faded - matt, satin or gloss?

Cheers

Pete

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what would the original finish on green Lansen, Draken and Viggen have been before it faded - matt, satin or gloss?

Cheers

Pete

The paint used was marked with M for matt, so all of them should be quite matt.

However, in reality they are / were a little bit satin...

Edited by Christer A
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Christer A said:

And finish my AJ35G Whif:

39363164844_69c581d191_o.jpg

28843141618_6dd6e6794f_o.jpg

For the first time in AGES I feel the need to Build Swedish stuff. 😮

gosh I would almost allow you to start a thread that's so nice!!!! :wub:

Awesome work on the splinter. :thumbsup:

Oh and thanks for the link for the CB90, I missed it when you originally posted titbit I was kindly reminded! :chair: That thread has pretty much given me all I need other than the actual colour mix used.....but I'll fudge that! :D

13 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

gosh I would almost allow you to start a thread that's so nice!!!! :wub:

Awesome work on the splinter. :thumbsup:

Oh and thanks for the link for the CB90, I missed it when you originally posted titbit I was kindly reminded! :chair: That thread has pretty much given me all I need other than the actual colour mix used.....but I'll fudge that! :D

The AJ 35 already have a WIP here

Regarding the colors of the little boat: remember that the boats in service were brush painted by conscripts, who used colors mixed by some other conscripts that couldn't care less about the exact shade of grey/green/black....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I`m sure our Danish and Norwegian members can help me this one: Are there resin parts available for 1:72 TERMA PIDS+ and ECIPS/CJS pylons? Modifying Revell kit pylons doesn´t look too difficult, though, but I´m asking anyway. V-P

2 hours ago, flarpen said:

Unfortunatly I was unaware of this GB until just now.

I suppose it's to late to enter now with a build that is about 50% done?

Have a SAAB J 21A that I have been working on for a while.

It's never too late until the GB is finished :D All we ask is you don't post finished article photos in the gallery for inclusion in the end of event poll.

41 minutes ago, Col. said:

It's never too late until the GB is finished :D All we ask is you don't post finished article photos in the gallery for inclusion in the end of event poll.

Just to clarify (I'm a bit slow sometimes), it's ok to post a new thread whit WIP pictures as long as the GB is open regardless on how far the build has progressed? But it's not ok to post finished pics in the gallery to be included in the poll?

Edited by flarpen

7 hours ago, flarpen said:

Just to clarify (I'm a bit slow sometimes), it's ok to post a new thread whit WIP pictures as long as the GB is open regardless on how far the build has progressed? But it's not ok to post finished pics in the gallery to be included in the poll?

yes you're fine to start a thread for the WIP right up until the GB finishes.

The only thing to be fair to others is that you are unable to photos finished photos in the gallery, that's the only restriction.

In the past you were not allowed to join in with builds over the 25% rule, but I'm happy for everyone to join in just with that one proviso. GB's are meant to be all about fun so the more the merrier.

So  start a thread and get to it.

• Like 4

Perhaps you should amend the rules on THIS GB, then, Rich, on the off chance anybody ever actually consults them!

(Edit: I've always thought that "25%" rule a bit questionable anyway.  As they say in the homebuilt aircraft world, "90% done.  Only 90% left to do!")

Edited by gingerbob
  • Haha 3