Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

That´s why it takes yet four months before you can deliver my new TwE - you crash test every vehicle you finish, and send only those that pass unscratched! Like the poor guy responsible for quality control at a match factory - he only passed forward those that had lit... 

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well looking back I realised I have three Swedish and one Danish subject in the collection so possibly time for another country to be represented. 

Mistercraft have a new boxing of Heller's Sabre with Norwegian marking and of course Airfix's newish Sea King has a nice scheme too!

Build the Danish one 🇩🇰 🇩🇰 🇩🇰

• Like 2

I am getting quietly excited about this GB! As some of you will know, although I have been building kits for over 60 years, I was a "GB Novice" until last June when I joined the Frog GB. That was a very enjoyable experience, probably because of the sheer number of people participating, and we talked to each other a lot - not just about what we were building but about other kits and life in general - our families, pets, food - you name it. It was I suppose like being in a club where people get together and chat.

I have been in several other GB since and they were fine, but did not perhaps have the same "community feel" but I suspect this and the later Heller Classic will. So my thanks to the organisers in advance, and happy modelling to all.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I put together a banner if anyone is interested.

brit_nordgb.jpg

& for those that are fan of a more modern minimalist style 😛 
brit_nordgb2.jpg

arr yes well........:whistle:

I'll blame Enzo for this but he suggested that to be a wee bit more inclusive with the title of the GB we change it to Nordic GB.

But great banners though! 

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I'll blame Enzo for this but he suggested that to be a wee bit more inclusive with the title of the GB we change it to Nordic GB.

I wouldn’t fret. They’re quite interchangeable - especially in English - I quite prefer the Scandinavian designation since «the North» is even more subjective 😛 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

What are you thinking of along those lines Alan?

I was thinking about a couple of FeR Vikings who have been in the other stash for a bit:

200113 Vikings

They'd make a nice pair. However, they would clearly interfere with already-woeful Mustang-productivity!

Alan

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I was thinking about a couple of FeR Vikings who have been in the other stash for a bit:

200113 Vikings

They'd make a nice pair. However, they would clearly interfere with already-woeful Mustang-productivity!

Alan

they'd be perfect for the GB........so when are we going to see a build thread???? :D

• Like 2

Does anyone know how long the Swedish Air Force used Bristol Bulldogs ? I have an Airfix kit and was thinking of building it ? I have the original White roundels with Black crowns. However did the operate post 1937, when the roundels went to Blue and Gold ? If so id like to do the Bulldog with the later roundels ? Anyone also know of a good source of photo’s of Swedish Bulldogs ? My other option would be a P-51 in Swedish colors ? 

Dennis

Sweden bought in total 11 Bulldogs, that received the designation J 7. By 1938 the two surviving examples were transferred to a special command that was to help with the defense of Stockholm. Later on they were donated to Finland and served in the winter war, where they remained until 1942. 

I'd guess that they could've got the new markings, but with a blue/yellow rudder and white roundels they do look the part!

Here are a few pictures

http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Jakt/107j7/107J7.htm

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

they'd be perfect for the GB........so when are we going to see a build thread???? :D

Ach! I was just thinking about it. I had planned a couple of these:

200114 Mustang decals

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does anyone know how long the Swedish Air Force used Bristol Bulldogs ? I have an Airfix kit and was thinking of building it ? I have the original White roundels with Black crowns. However did the operate post 1937, when the roundels went to Blue and Gold ? If so id like to do the Bulldog with the later roundels ? Anyone also know of a good source of photo’s of Swedish Bulldogs ? My other option would be a P-51 in Swedish colors ? 

Dennis

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Sweden bought in total 11 Bulldogs, that received the designation J 7. By 1938 the two surviving examples were transferred to a special command that was to help with the defense of Stockholm. Later on they were donated to Finland and served in the winter war, where they remained until 1942. 

I'd guess that they could've got the new markings, but with a blue/yellow rudder and white roundels they do look the part!

Here are a few pictures

http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Jakt/107j7/107J7.htm

I spotted one of the 17 Bristol Bulldog Mk. IVA:s FiAF bought from Bristol in 1934-35. It´s one of only two Bulldogs remaining worldwide and resides at Hallinportti Aviation Museum in Kuorevesi, Finland. That museum was absolutely stuffed with all kinds of items in all kind of conditions; fortunately at least under a roof! The little museum is run by volunteers so well done. Here´s BU-59.

IMG_20190715_144840

• Like 7

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Well it was just a quick edit to change them. funnily I originally used "nordGB" for the image's file names because I thought "ScandinavianGB" was to long, must have been a premonition 😛

brit_nordgb3.jpg

brit_nordgb4.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

Gotta tell you guys that you made the Nordic GB fever reach in me a temperature that put all my build plans for the next month in new order! I have plenty of time until "my" Lancaster Family Type GB begins in the end of February :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I spotted one of the 17 Bristol Bulldog Mk. IVA:s FiAF bought from Bristol in 1934-35. It´s one of only two Bulldogs remaining worldwide and resides at Hallinportti Aviation Museum in Kuorevesi, Finland. That museum was absolutely stuffed with all kinds of items in all kind of conditions; fortunately at least under a roof! The little museum is run by volunteers so well done. Here´s BU-59.

IMG_20190715_144840

I would love to do a Finnish example but I have no Finnish roundels at the moment. Something preventing me from doing another Mersu and Curtiss Hawk 75. I need to break down and except that I'm going to have to find a sheet with multiple sizes. I also need Polish A.F. roundels in multiple sizes for some future builds. Maybe even in 1/48 scale ? 

Whilst we are waiting to start, can anybody help me with the colours and markings of the Lansen. I tend to think of them in the green over NMF scheme though I believe  a few went into the green/blue "Draken" scheme towards the end of their service (electronic warfare version?). However my Heller kit is a fairly early boxing and offers an A32A attack version of J 17 in all over NMF with a red "A" on a blue tail, and a green/NMF A32 C recce version of J 11 coded yellow 06, both supposedly in 1960. I think they changed the decs in later boxings.

I would prefer a green/NMF version, and whilst I do not mind doing the A32 C, I would prefer to do the A32 A version, but can't be bothered to pay out for new decals. I assume J 17 would have changed to green/NMF before long so would I get away with the red "A" on that scheme or would I have to change the markings? I still have the Rb04 anti ship missiles from my Airfix Viggen and was considering putting them on the Lansen "A"as it needs something under the wings. I already have a belly tank.

Any thoughts/comments and pictures would be welcome. Oh and thanks to @vppelt68 for reminding me about the Lancaster STGB - I am going to have to watch my schedules if I am going to get the Lincoln conversion done as well as this GB, not to mention the "In the Navy" one as well..

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1