Nordic GB Chat

trickyrich

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

If you got an old bottle of Hu87, then you're set for all A/C that was painted Blågrå 058M! No need to complicate things further than that.

What do you mean by ‘old’ bottle of Hu87 Christer? I’ve recently purchased a new pot so will that still do or has the colour shifted over time? 
This actually is a good question from Pete and although I do have a few other brands of paint, would also like to know what are good Humbrol or Model Master equivalents for a ‘casual’ Swedish Model builder. 

Cheers.. Dave 

47 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What do you mean by ‘old’ bottle of Hu87 Christer? I’ve recently purchased a new pot so will that still do or has the colour shifted over time? 

I join this question!

Because I also have a Humbrol 87 bought in 1990-2000.

B.R.

Serge 

Hi Dave/Serge,

In the link Serge/you posted a little earlier there is an interesting discussion on the colours, and in it Christer said that Hu87 is fine for Blue/Grey (as above), but then Andre said only the "old" version as the latest incarnation has changed and is no use - but luckily I have an old tin and should be OK as Christer says, providing it is still viable, which it seems to be. Some of my Humbrol Authentic paint must be 50 years old but is still useable - more than can be said for the newer stuff which seems thicker and dries up pretty fast in most cases, though thinners does help. However if you add thinners to the tin you might as well throw it once you have finished as it seem to go off withing a couple of weeks in my experience! The "new formula super enamels" are smoother in finish but I have seen a few complaints about the colour changing, and the solvent seems to evaporate more quickly than whatever was in the old enamels.

Thanks John  already have it but was asking how accurate people thought it was.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I still think Urbans reference chart is the right way to go, event though it hasn't been touched or updated in 15 years or more.

The hardcore SWAF modellers that I meet here in Sweden are almost to the man using their own mixes, for the right look. It's just like the neverending discussion about the correct shade for Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky but in Swedish :)

Regarding old versus new Humbrol, I have no first hand experience since switching over airbrush way back. I have used Xtracrylics FS equivalents for a J21 and it looked good to me for the Oliver green/ light blue Grey that was used. For that occasion I used the FS translation in Urbans chart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 03:45, trickyrich said:

trying desperately to get back on subject....  :D

You of all people have some blooming cheek writing this ! 

Especially after you started the 2020 GB poll Christmas Jokeathon i seem to remember !

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

@trickyrich thats a beautiful Viggen. Is it the 1/48 tarangus/special hobby you warned about earlier?

that's the one!!!

44 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You of all people have some blooming cheek writing this ! 

Especially after you started the 2020 GB poll Christmas Jokeathon i seem to remember !

:tease:

• Haha 2

Well as last year I actually managed to complete a couple of Sea King builds for GBs, I'll try and do a few this year too...

....and with my Belgian and German re-builds coming along, I feel more DayGlo in the offing - cue a RNoAF MK.43B...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

I have these in my stash :-

DSC02345-crop

I know Enzo would say "build them all" and if I have time I might just do that, but I will probably do them in chronological order - Tunnan, Lansen, Draken etc. I started painting the interior of the Tunnan a few years back but have not assembled anything so I guess it is still eligible under the 25% rule? Not made my mind up about the Viggen - I built the Airfix (prototype) one when it came out in around 1971, and then later added the "hump" on the top and painted it in the multi colour camo. This one is a later (2010) re-boxing of the original Heller kit from 1977 I presume, with markings for a JA37 Fighter in two tone grey, but there are both types of tail and various other "spare parts" such as a recce nose. I will have to do some research to see exactly what options I have. The Grippen may not get built depending on how things go as I will probably enter a couple more GB during the course of this one, and still have up to 4 kits to finish in the KUTA. The Lansen could also be a problem in terms of appropriate markings and stores. As Dave said, the numbers/code letters might be difficult, though I see there are some available (for more than the kit cost)!

More as and when we get going.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That will happen this weekend, most likely on Sunday.

Thanks Enzo

You would have thought our nominated grown up, or host would be asking for this.... :ner:

Cheers Pat

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Dear @trickyrich

When are you planning on moving this across into the Current GB page ?

We could be listing our build threads in preparation of the actual start dates.

cheers Pat

when the God of Thunder Donuts gives me the power......or else we have to wait for Enzo the Magnificent Slightly Normal to do it.......which is usually the weekend before. Surly you haven't forgotten that by now?

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Enzo

You would have thought our nominated grown up, or host would be asking for this.... :ner:

Cheers Pat

Gosh someone is eager to start!! By normal grown up did you mean my Co-Host @Col.?  He's currently very busy getting ready for his duties.....think today was his waxing appointment!!! :yikes:   

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's standard procedure.  The forum goes up the week before the start.  No need to ask for it. :) 

Don't worry I was all prepared to remind you!!! :fight:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can anyone help me with the upcoming GB? I have an AJ37 viggen but would like to build it in a JA37 scheme. I believe there is a very small fuselage extension but aren’t they pretty much identical apart from that? 

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Can anyone help me with the upcoming GB? I have an AJ37 viggen but would like to build it in a JA37 scheme. I believe there is a very small fuselage extension but aren’t they pretty much identical apart from that? 

I did the reverse here without any major cutting.

The difference is 10cm or 1.3mm in 1/72, so judge for yourself.

Heller-Saab-JA37-Viggen-001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Dansk said:

The fuselage extension is not a big deal (its included in the Tarangus/Speciall hobby kits in both 1/48 and 1/72 though!)

Major differences are the fin and the small one behind it

JA37 (same fin on SK)

Viggen.jpg

AJ37 (and also SH as shown on this picture, SF)

aj37-viggen-with-splinter-pattern-camouf

JA37 has the underbelly cannon pack

viggen_05.jpg

It sits between the fuel tank and the fuselage

Also, there are 4 fins on the fuel tank on JA and only 3 on AJ due to this.

If you do that, then is sure looks like a JA to me!

off course, there's a bunch of tiny differences especially when comparing a JA37Di in 2005 (the last version) to the bog standard AJ37 in 1980...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That’s all good stuff and I for one can’t wait for this GB to start. I look forward to the various chat and learning opportunities that this GB will throw up and it’ll make a nice change from the usual British and Commonwealth subjects that normally takes up much of my time. For those more knowledgeable that I, please feel free to throw your input into the many build threads here so that we all get the opportunity to create our Scandinavian models as accurately as possible. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

(this is a required viewing here in Sweden during New Years Eve. Everyone quotes the catchphrase "Same procedure as every year" )

I'll try to be very active during this GB and fill in wherever I can.

Or call for help from other Swedish modellers 😎

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks a lot chaps

@Christer A youre a genius!

So scratching a little fin (I think... the AJ tarangus has the JA big fin on the sprues)

Scratching 4 fins on the tank

and getting my hands on a belly canon and we're in business? :plane:

Genius might be stretching it...

I have performed quite a lot of turnarounds (refueling, getting ready for take-off and stuff) for AJ37 Viggen though so I have some familiarity with the beast.

Which kit are you working from?

In 1/72 there is a resin cannon available:

https://www.rebell.com/ja37-viggen-oerlikon-belly-canon.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this talk of AJ & JA37 is making me want to start butchering the ESCI kit and add a few of the new 72nd Special Hobby kits into my stash :wub:

• Like 4