Completed +++ Zeppelin Killer - BE2c Night Fighter +++

Bonhoff

Hi all,

How about this?

46483227165_ae77b053d1_c.jpg

33522382518_95f9d56b1e_c.jpg

One of the earliest Night Fighters courtesy of Airfix's 1/72 scale model - To be built OOB but as I'm a glutton for punishment it'll be rigged whilst we're at it.

Kind regards

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
Completed!
  • Like 9

welcome aboard with something completely different and not what you'd imagine a night fighter to be!

it's probably a very nice model but she scares the willies out of me!! Bi-Plane.....rigging......:door:

Good luck with her, hopefully it'll be a trouble free build as it'll be great to see her in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

Made a start on her...

46696937904_515e5ffd9d_c.jpg

Easiest way to build her is as a series of subassemblies in my twisted little mind - Primed and ready to paint

40481917733_1d6d4e5ee4_c.jpg

Fuselage taped together for fit test - I like the way the cabane struts have been engineered.

47367285472_874fbc86fa_c.jpg

Hopefully will be able to progress this further next week. 

IanJ

• Like 5

On 3/17/2019 at 2:04 AM, Bonhoff said:

it'll be rigged

I certainly hope so...This one is a real bag of wires too.  Although I found it straightforward...just lots of it.  ☺️

Looking forward!

• Thanks 1

nice start....and it really does scare me looking at this build!

That engine with those pipes does look like a "Red-Neck" special!

Maybe the RFC actually good for the "Redneck Flying Club"! :D

• Haha 2

Excellent choice! I'd been thinking about this one myself since Ian of Scott's Models in Glasgow skillfully sold me one when I only went in for a tin of paint. Its a superb kit, with a couple of errors I'm sure you'll notice once you get going.....:banghead:

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Thanks - Any clues to the errors or am I just going to blunder into them? 🙂

IanJ 

Ok, I'll tell you, but then I'll have to kill you!.

Unless you are using the pilot figures, the squared-off pilot's seat-back needs to have a rounded back, like the observer's, but lower.

The under-wing skids are the wrong type (Bristol Fighter it looks like). BE2 has simple semi-circular ones. I've never seen any other type on BEs

OK, picky, I know, but some smart-butt (me!) will undoubtedly spot those errors on your finished model. It makes me wonder what reference Airfix followed when designing the kit - simple look on the interweb would have shown them up.

(I've got a wee bit of an issue with how the fabric/rib effect is shown, but that's being REALLY picky on an absolutely fabulous kit, so just ignore me - I did.)

Edited by alancmlaird
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up - I wouldn't have noticed those problems if you hadn't mentioned them - I'm not that clued up on WW1 subjects despite building more of them these days.

IanJ

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on the way? :) 

I have the same kit lying around, and this got me tempted to start it. Would it be awfully rude of me to enter the GB with the same model? I’ll do the other scheme!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 7:21 PM, Torbjorn said:

Any update on the way? :) 

I have the same kit lying around, and this got me tempted to start it. Would it be awfully rude of me to enter the GB with the same model? I’ll do the other scheme!

The more the merrier at this party :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Still beavering away on it - I also like the little alignment jigs for the interplane struts included by Airfix - All in all it'd be an ideal introduction to Biplane Beginners.

48023611047_c2e866d8e7_c_d.jpg

48023504996_802591c560_c_d.jpg

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

And into rigging - I saw a completed one at the Coventry Show last weekend and it looked magnificent with its turnbuckles and loops.

Nothing like that is going to happen here!

First started off with the Uschi superfine thread (0.001 thou) which scales out at less than 2mm - It's also practically invisible and like trying to knit spider's web so I decided enough of that and out with the "Standard" 5 thou Uschi thread.

My technique, if it can be called that, is to start off with a length of thread, attach it at one end of a run and then go to alternate strut mounts, gluing as I go, get to the end of the run, trim and start again.

Like so...

48126211532_af00e259e8_c_d.jpg

That's about 2 lunchtime's worth there!

Not long to the end of the GB so I'd better get a move on.

IanJ

• Like 4