1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire MkI & BF109E & HE111P/H The Airfight over Dunkirk

Hello fellow modellers I bought this from a model shop in Melbourne.  I thought it looked great and it reminded me of the movie "Dunkirk", which I am not sure if I liked the movie or not!!!!!  I do like the white and black undersides of British planes at the time.  Although I don't know why they used this scheme.

Box art:

DSC4648-1.jpg 

I thought I would start the Spitfire as I have never built a Spitfire, it's about time I did.

Spitfire parts:  Have a look at the the free flash.

DSC4644-1.jpg

DSC4645-1.jpg

I also got hold of this which I had the great idea of using instead of the Hasegawa parts.

What is the difference between a Spitfire Mki and a MKIa?

DSC4649-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by for a look.

Stephen

• Like 8

6 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

What is the difference between a Spitfire Mki and a MKIa?

Same thing. With the introduction of the canon armed Spitfire Mk.Ib, the eight gun armed version was then called Mk.Ia. Before that it was the Spitfire Mk.I

This Hasegawa kit was around when I was a kid and it certainly shows its age. Nonetheless, enjoy our build. To make a Spitfire used over Dunkirk. you should remove the two stiffening rails on each wing as this modification was introduced later.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 4

Some progress.

Cockpit painted and the fuselage closed up.

Seat:  Nice chunky seatbelts.

MG-4409-1.jpg

IP:

MG-4410-1.jpg

Placed into the fuselage:

MG-4412-1.jpg

MG-4413-1.jpg

Assembled with a coat of undercoat:  The protruding machine guns have been cut off and a hole drilled. 

MG-4414-1.jpg

Some pre-shading.  Trying to give a different shade to the fabric covered areas on the model.

MG-4416-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 5

An interesting build, looking forward to seeing this completed 😃

The black and white underside was for identification purposes, but was only used early on in the war (1939/40) and was then replaced more commonly with Sky/Sky Type S.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress:

Pre-shading - the panel lines are raised, I sort of painted my own.

MG-4417-1.jpg

White painted.

MG-4418-1.jpg

MG-4419-1.jpg

Green top surfaces.

MG-4420-1.jpg

Thanks for loooking

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 5

Interesting,

First time I see an Hasegawa Spitfire build.

If you build the Airfix Spitfire you will clearly ser the shape differences beetwen an real Spitfire (the Airfix one) and the older strange shaped Hasegawa kit. One thing where Hasegawa gone wrong is that Spitfire's didn't have a floor. 

But keep on your nice work building the Hasegawa kit and follow up with building the more accurate Airfix Spitfire...

Following with interest!

Cheers / André

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some progress.   I have got the model painted and it is ready for some decals.

Question Time.  The camo pattern on the real aircraft, was it painted with a mask or free hand??

MG-4423-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 3

She is finally finished.

I replaced the broken antenna mast with a gun barrel super glued in placed, it is not very strong so there is no antenna wire.

The Hasegawa stencil decals didn't adhere very well and some have fallen off.

RFI here

MG-4428-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 5

I’m not at all sure that the bulges on the tops of the wings should be there.  I presume whoever designed the kit either assumed they were needed to allow the undercarriage to retract fully, OR looked at a fairly restored example.  However, having been able to look at IWM Duxford’s real Mk. 1 (for those who don’t know, it’s one of two recovered from the beach at Dunkirk or Calais and used to create flying examples, in Duxford’s case, a 19 Squadron RAF aeroplane) I don’t recall seeing any such bulge.  I can’t access my photos just now.

I hope this helps a little ...  it’s s nice model, anyway, Stephen.

Jonny

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonny said:

I’m not at all sure that the bulges on the tops of the wings should be there.  I presume whoever designed the kit either assumed they were needed to allow the undercarriage to retract fully, OR looked at a fairly restored example.  However, having been able to look at IWM Duxford’s real Mk. 1 (for those who don’t know, it’s one of two recovered from the beach at Dunkirk or Calais and used to create flying examples, in Duxford’s case, a 19 Squadron RAF aeroplane) I don’t recall seeing any such bulge.  I can’t access my photos just now.

I hope this helps a little ...  it’s s nice model, anyway, Stephen.

Jonny

The bulges are correct. the spitfire was designed with a very thin wing. but this meant there obviously wasn't much room inside. because the tires are angled to aid with ground stability the bulges where needed. there are rather subtle though so not always easy to see. as the thickness of the wing is just one sheet metal at this point later strengthening strips where added to keep the skin from buckling in flight. on later wings some pannels used thicker metal sheets eliminating the problem

later spitfire variants with the B and C and E wing had additional blisters over the cannons as these to where to tall to fit inside the shallow wing

• Like 1