Rumanian Arado AR 196A Classic Heller Kit

JOCKNEY

Hi everyone

My daughter Rose started this build some time ago but life and schoolwork got in the way. Therefore this GB is the ideal opportunity to bring it back out of its hiding place.

Obligatory proof it's not over 25% completed photos below.

IMG_4310

IMG_4311

IMG_4312

• Like 12

welcome along Rose (and Pat), and what a great model to bring along, we don't get to see one of these built very often.

She is well in the 25% rule and a really nice looking classic Heller model as well. 

Good luck with the build, hope you enjoy it and look forward to seeing it i the gallery.

PS tell dad he needs to hurry up finish his other builds so he can join us here!!!!

• Haha 3

Thanks Rich

Rose has made a start tonight, she painted the interior we decided on RLM 66 or Boring Grey as it has been described here !

Then she assembled the floats to the support struts and bottom section of the wing. There was some "lively discussions " regarding the need to dry fit parts and file off excess flash etc to get a proper fit ! Having narrowly won the arm wrestle we did it my way and all the parts seem to have fitted surprisingly well. :phew:

IMG_4318

Completed assembly set aside to dry.

Earlyish night for Rose, maths test tomorrow  :smartass:

IMG_4319

Cheers Rose 🌹 

• Like 13

well done Rose....and Pat, great start.

Yes dry fitting first does save so much trouble/issues later on, it should be one of the golden mantras of modelling!

I could see a sick day for me if I had a maths test the next day, didn't mind maths, just hated tests and studying even more!

• Haha 2

Good start Rose and Pat,this I recall is still well regarded  kit and as with most Heller kit's nicely molded.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Hi Pat,

I am not sure whether I should congratulate you or castigate you for steering your daughter on the slippery slope to plastic perdition!

Rose, your soul is in grave danger, but the fact that you have chosen not only a French kit, but an Arado 196 to boot, there is still hope for you.

This is a great little kit, with its challenges of course, but the result will be stunning.

AND... you can use the same paints your dad has already splashed on his Condor! Easy!!!

Have fun, both of you.

JR

• Thanks 1

I have alread seen that you have made a good start Rose. Welcome here and good luck with the rest of your build.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Thanks 1

Time for an update.

Tonight we focused on completing the "Boring Grey" interior and closing the 2 halves of the fuselage. Great to see the attention to detail with making sure everything fitted before the glue came out. 

We then turned our attention to the engine, complete with a bit of dry brushing, and finally the tops of the wings were put in place.

IMG_4321

IMG_4322

By the way good news on the maths test, she has gone up to a higher class, which is great news :phew:

Thats all for tonight

Cheers Rose 🌹 

• Like 7

Hi Rose and Pat,

great progress on your model, boring grey and all.

It is shaping up really well.

And Rose, congrats on you math test! You are apparently doing much better than I ever did at your age: I always managed to pass to a higher class, but never thanks to maths, and I ALWAYS left the seat of my pants on the barbed wire fence that separated one class to the next... Not everybody is born a genius!

Keep having fun.

JR

• Haha 1

More progress today, fuselage joined to wings and floats, gaps filled and now painting started

IMG_4332

The tape on her fingers is from playing rugby, for the school / area. They have beaten 2 Glasgow teams so far !

IMG_4333

The painting didn't go according to plan a combination of much too much paint on the brush and not smoothing it out properly. Well one things for certain if, it ever drys out, it's very well protected against the elements :giggle:

Plans for tomorrow paint and assemble the engine, fit it to the rest of the aircraft, paint the underside, paint the canopy framing ( Not looking forward to that bit ! )

Cheers Rose 🌹 

• Like 7

woohoo painting time, always lots of fun to be had here, yeah seaplanes needed that extra corrosion protection.

Looking forward to seeing the finished paint job. 

Sounds like her rugby team would probably beat our Wallabies as well!! :crying:

• Haha 2

Practice makes perfect!

Keep at it Rose! And paint is cheap... The next kit will be so much easier.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1