Aeroclub 1/72 Gloster Gamecock

Terry1954

I have started a small project to build the old Aeroclub Gloster Gamecock, and I'm looking for some references/pictures especially the cockpit and I/P colours, but also some clearer details on the visible differences between the Mk I and Mk II. The only plans I have are some very old line drawings from Scale Models dated 1974, which if correct seem to imply the kit has Mk II wings. The drawings also suggest that the Mk I has the larger tail fin which I don't believe to be correct. The kit provides 2 types of tail fin, but only one type of wing.

Any references of further info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Terry,

See if these links are useful. The Jet Age Museum Gamecock is a replica- I think the Finns have some original sections, but no complete airframe, IIRC Wish I had the Aeroclub kit- I have the CMK resin kit, but I have yet to do a resin model and all  that struttery and rigging on such a tiny airframe  scares the pants off of me. The MMP book on the Gamecock/Grebe has numerous color detail photos, including the cockpit, as I recall.  Good luck with your project.

Mike

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Gloster-Gamecock-I-replica/2462384/L?qsp=eJwtjbEKAkEMRH9FUtuIYHGdNldq4Q%2BE7KDH7blLEtDluH83LnaPN8PMSlJejo/fWwUNZGCVJ%2B2psvJiNKw0o72LpmAaczGH7kZeIEXm6FlRv7TIEjvOIqiO9PdXTdBfBJM%2B%2BYiLQwD01pmOp/Bpspq5b8B5yrRtX3XBMrU%3D

https://jetagemuseum.org/gloster-gamecock/

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/gloster-gamecock.html

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/123755-gloster-gamecock-reproduction-jet-age-museum

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

See if these links are useful.

Mike,

Thanks for these links, they are all very helpful. The Aeroclub kit seems a very neat little replica, and as you say it is a very small aircraft! I will look out for the MMP book. I imagine the CMK resin kit is very good. I have a couple of CMK kits and the detail is amazing. You should give resin a try sometime, its not so bad, but I do agree a small biplane is a scary subject! I'll be posting a WIP soon so you can watch things progress!

Thanks again

Terry

Thanks @Troy Smith and @dogsbody. I have also since been able to find some references and drawing from Aviation News from a while back. The picture is beginning to become clearer and I am now comfortable that the Aeroclub kit is good for the version I plan to make which is a Mk 1.

Terry

• Like 2

My twenty odd year old kit is a Mk.1. The Mk II had a different wing and was not fitted to RAF aircraft. The reason that there are two tail fins and rudders in the kit, is that the Gamecock shared much with it's sister kit, the  Grebe, and we simply put the sprue in complete rather than clip off the Grebe tail.

Some kits have white metal engines and some later issues had resin engines.

John

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Aero said:

My twenty odd year old kit is a Mk.1. The Mk II had a different wing and was not fitted to RAF aircraft. The reason that there are two tail fins and rudders in the kit, is that the Gamecock shared much with it's sister kit, the  Grebe, and we simply put the sprue in complete rather than clip off the Grebe tail.

Some kits have white metal engines and some later issues had resin engines.

John

Thanks John. I was wondering about the other tail fin! My version has the white metal engine which is a bit of a challenge to clean up but I'm getting there.  I've considered sourcing a resin engine from Engines & things but they list two Jupiter engine:

72100 Bristol Jupiter 9 cyl. D.D. small gearbox

72030 Bristol Jupiter 9 cyl. long gearbox & exhaust collector

They state that 72030 is suitable for the Woodcock but no mention of the Gamecock, although I suspect that one will work.

The Aeroclub model is a great btw!

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1

The Jupiter engine fitted to most fighter biplanes was the direct drive (short) engine which was higher revving and as such drove a smaller airscrew for a faster climb rate, so 72030 is not suitable. The geared Jupiter's drove much larger airscrews and are found on generally slower, high altitude types such as bombing and transport aircraft.

If you fit any other Jupiter you may find that you will have to build up the fuselage fairings between the cylinders. With the forwards exhaust ring and the cylinder fairings, you won't see much of the engine except the cylinder heads.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @John Aero, helpful clarity on the Jupiter. For the reasons you state, I'm still contemplating leaving as is. The cylinder head detail is good on the whitemetal part, just depends how well I do with cleaning up the flash etc. I've done a reasonable job on cleaning up the forward exhaust ring so far.

I'll definately have to start a WIP on this!

Terry

• Like 1

Originally there was little if any flash on the metal parts, but mould wear and an operative who never quite understand the balance of pressure and centrifugal speed, didn't notice it, but who cast and then packed the kits which caused us all sorts of problems over quite a long time. It sounds like you have one of these.  When he left,  after Peter died, I out sourced some casting and that wasn't a good move either.

The late Pete Wright was a good caster, but both he and I had a myriad other things to juggle with and when Pete, (who ran sales), died, it became a one man band, I took it as the beginning of the end as I was metal casting, mould making and running two injection moulders and a vac former. It became a total chore.

Shows were different and always a delight, because I had family and friends to help. But we bumbled along for 35 years.

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Thank you so much for bumbling along John, you added some wonderful subjects in 1/72nd that I still appreciate greatly!

Cheers,

Herb

Absolutely agree with Herb,  @John Aero, you guys came along at a time when such things were much needed in the hobby, and you produced great subjects. I have a small stash of Aeroclub subjects, which I roll out to make, every now and then. It's like opening a good vintage wine!

I think including the Gamecock I have about 9 or 10 in the stash, and every now and then I'll pick one up at a show.

Terry

• Like 2