1/72 Airfix Super Etendard Argentine Navy - DONE

Dermo245

Hi all and decided to throw my hat in with this one.

47394796021_e465bd519d_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_Box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Here she is in all her eBay bought glory. Looks like everything is in there. (fingers crossed)

33518833578_1bc98b729e_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_Contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

While the two-tone French scheme is good looking, I think the Argentine Navy is the more famous one so will go with that.

47394795701_b4f56b3e84_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_Contents2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Enjoy your builds, thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 7

welcome along Dermot, great choice and I think the 4th Argentinian naval aircraft in the build as well.

I don't know the model, but being a later Airfix it should be fine. Gotta love evilBay, hopefully you got it for a good price.

Good luck with the build, hopefully a trouble free one, and look forward to seeing er in the gallery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dermot,

this looks like the Heller kit, which is not a bad thing at all. Not as refined as the Academy kit, but a hell of a lot more accurate.

Great choice!

JR

• Thanks 1

The surface detail on the fuselage parts looks good so hopefully that quality extends throughout the other parts and they fit together well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all and a little bit done so far..

Some wire and belts to tart up the kit seat..

47553457822_f2c7e8bd77_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_build_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cockpit OOB

33729228168_f67bfb46c0_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_build_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And the wings on. After the vactorm adventures recently, this is really enjoyable!

47553458182_bc75aaf6d8_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard_build_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 9

Great choice and nice work so far. I built this kit as one of my first models and it really captures the elegant shapes of the SUE very well, though IIRC the main canopy fit was awful so I had to go with it open.

David 

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, mirageiv said:

Great choice and nice work so far. I built this kit as one of my first models and it really captures the elegant shapes of the SUE very well, though IIRC the main canopy fit was awful so I had to go with it open.

David 

Thanks David and am going to leave the canopy open.

Bit more done and some small seam filling

47564631932_16cc34ee84_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_4R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Halfords Plastic Primer..

32736061927_e66d250d83_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_5R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Followed by some white primer for the national markings on the rudder/tail which i'm going to paint.

46763049585_063f9d127a_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_6R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Il need to try these Halfords paints. Doing the white first makes good sense. Is that an Exocet going on there?

Thanks - it's the Halfords Plastic Primer...yes, a little more expensive than their regular primer but I think goes on more easily and is more forgiving. Have been using it for years.

Yep, an Exocet and drop tank going on 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of coats of Blue Grey...or is it Grey Blue 😃

46990575114_b66a3386d0_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_7R by dermot.moriarty, on Flickr

Drop Tank and Exocet getting there..

47727600842_8ac8b42043_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_8R by dermot.moriarty, on Flickr

Tail painted Blue.... it's a shade too dark I think but not worried about it.

46990574624_bb67117c6c_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_9R by dermot.moriarty, on Flickr

Loadouts almost done.

47727599972_c92889defe_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_10R by dermot.moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Dermot

• Like 5

Almost there now.

The u/c and drop tank/Exocet are on as well as the front canopy. Will add the last bits today and she'll be done!

46944618015_fc31c6f6f5_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Build_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The blue on the tail should be much lighter :facepalm: and the nose gear should be more straight...ho hum. Having fun anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 4

So with the canopy, speedbrakes, pitots and aerials added, she was done! I tried some oils for the first time but might have overdone it on the grime. I'd say they were kept cleaner than this..

33993442738_139ee0e3c6_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Before (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

But...….I had this nagging feeling about the nose gear, especially when viewed from side on.

40904162353_7c98e103f0_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Before (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Just not right. So, deep breath, took it off (one piece luckily) and glued back on...

33993442478_ca82dbf582_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Looking at the two pics side by side, I think it was worth the hassle. What do you think?

33993442878_54ed161d9e_b.jpgAirfix Super Etendard Side_by_side_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Really enjoyed building this one and apart from some raised panel lines and clunky details, I think she turned out ok.

33993442628_a9cfa5451d_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

33993442408_5937b8102d_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Can't believe how 'uge those Exocet missiles are...

33993442148_efc726fb0c_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (7) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Alongside her stablemate, also Airfix

33993441938_d19cf98637_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (9) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And a little map base 

47081287224_b1a56a8716_b.jpgAirfix_Heller_Super Etendard_1_72_Done (10) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will post some more pics in the Gallery. Big thanks to  @trickyrich and  @Col. for hosting this really enjoyable GB and for all your comments - it is appreciated.

Happy Modelling.
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing mistakes
  • Like 8

well done on her, she does look great and particularly nice of the display base.

Nice save on the nose wheel....an interesting fact on the A-340's and their real nose down attitude, that wasn't a design feature!! There was an original design issue/mistake in which the nose gear ended up slightly shorter than it should have been. It didn't cause any major operational issues, it just looked  bit odd, so it was left as it was. You notice on other models based on this design that it's less noticeable because they carried out the changes. I spent some time at Airbus Ind. in the 80's and got to know this aircraft (and A-330) and the engineers that built them quite well.

i hope you enjoyed the build, was great to see something a bit different being build, and a pleasure to have you along.

• Like 2

Correcting the nosewheel leg angle has finished this one off nicely Dermot. A good result and you had fun creating it so that's what this hobby is all about :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 2:47 PM, trickyrich said:

well done on her, she does look great and particularly nice of the display base.

Nice save on the nose wheel....an interesting fact on the A-340's and their real nose down attitude, that wasn't a design feature!! There was an original design issue/mistake in which the nose gear ended up slightly shorter than it should have been. It didn't cause any major operational issues, it just looked  bit odd, so it was left as it was. You notice on other models based on this design that it's less noticeable because they carried out the changes. I spent some time at Airbus Ind. in the 80's and got to know this aircraft (and A-330) and the engineers that built them quite well.

i hope you enjoyed the build, was great to see something a bit different being build, and a pleasure to have you along.

Wow...never knew that - great info Rich!