My Daughter's "The EGGle Has Landed" - School Easter Egg Build

having only just found this, I am very pleased to see a young modeller enjoying herself being so creative and having fun. The diorama looks to be a brilliant idea and I am looking forward to seeing her end project

brilliant

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite our illnesses wiping out the whole family for two weeks, the deadline for this project is the end of this weekend. The model has to go into school at the start of next week. So while we still aren't really in a modelling frame of mind, we had to push the model on towards completion. I printed a couple of paper flags a few days ago; one as a spare. My daughter cut it out with a scalpel and steel rule ( being careful not to slice my finger ends off!! ), and we used some double sided tape to stick the two sides of the flag around some wire for the pole.

apollo033.jpg

The next stage was to finish Neil Eggstrong. Based on one of the Apollo photos ( though it could have been a later mission ), she painted his gloves and boots grey. 

apollo034.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

It took a while and a steady hand to paint the demarkation between the gloves and sleeve and boots and legs. I'm still coughing my lungs up and a steady hand wasn't something I could count on so I said she would have to do it all herself!

apollo035.jpg

We decided on a simple face so we didn't obscure too much of the egg head. I managed to calm my cough down enough to do this, though I still had to wipe off the nose and have a seoond go due to the shakes! We also added some thin brass wire to the back pack for a radio aerial.

apollo036.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

I printed a background on some photo paper and used spray-mount to glue it to some thicker card. I didn't have any smooth scraps of wood left. The background was then glued to the baseboard and is currently weighted down in the workshop drying.

apollo037.jpg

Before gluing the back in place, we drilled mounting holes for the flag and Neil. This allowed us a quick posed shot of the diorama with all the pieces in place before weighting is all down for the glue to set. Once dry, the lander, flag and Neil can be glued in place for some proper photos and then in to school on Monday.

apollo038.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9

Well, it's not all glued down yet, that's tomorrow's job, but while little legs was out today, I set up the diorama with a black cloth around it for some better photos.

apollo039.jpg

apollo040.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

For a fairly quick build project, started on February 22nd and two weeks lost to illness, it's turned out a very nice little model. She's very proud of the finished result and it is her favourite school Easter Egg build so far.

apollo041.jpg

apollo042.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

I believe the judging is on Wednesday, so fingers crossed!! The teachers have also been having a competition amongst themselves, so I hope to get to see what they've done too.

apollo043.jpg

apollo044.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1