*NEW PICS * SEE BELOW (FIGURES ADDED) IT'S TIME...AMBUSH!!, GERMAN TANK DESTROYERS VOL2, STUG IV 1/35 ITALERI GB Pz.IV

On 18/03/2019 at 21:49, Buzby061 said:

Fabulous work,  nicely mucked up. 

Picked up the Academy Stug IV last week, you’ve set the bar pretty high with yours!

Pete

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it, I would like very much to see how it will look when you decide to do it.

Cheers Pete 👍

On 29/03/2019 at 07:40, Hewy said:

Superb display francis, very well weathered, love that umbrella airel, nice touch

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it. The umbrella was going to be from PE, but before the extreme weakness of the material, the top part was made of fiber, although I think it was very convincing.

Cheers Hewy 👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 13:55, Badder said:

Well, you're pretty good at painting so I knew your first attempt at figures would be better than mine was, many years ago. I'm still not very good even now; probably yours are as good as I could do. They do fit your dio well though. I will definitely search for the kit as I could do with them myself.

The Tamiya Jerry can set is a good buy - although the Jerry cans can be improved with the added middle handle and PE on the filler caps.  I DID realise that you just placed your Jerry cans in the grass for photographic purposes, but yes, the ones lying down should have crushed the grass flat and the ones leaning over should have fallen over flat as well. As I said, I know you know that, so it's not really an issue.

It's clear that you enjoyed this build; the StuG, diorama and figures and I enjoyed watching your progress. The result is fantastic and I look forward to seeing some of your previous builds in dioramas now, or at least with added figures and sitting on a plinth/vignette.

Rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks as always for your kind comments, and that you liked the process / result of the model (I confess, that even I like ...).

I found the reference of the set of figures that is Dragon 6016 (1993), in case it is useful for you.

I do not rule out making some other base for the previous kits or the new ones (if I do something else), and include some figure (of the easy ones ... lol), if I am capable.

Cheers Badder. 👍

On 03/04/2019 at 19:26, MR2Don said:

There's weathering and there's weathering and what you've done there is stupendous weathering! Brilliant presentation.

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it, ;)

Cheers MR2Don 👍

On 03/04/2019 at 21:53, Buzby061 said:

The dio takes an excellent build to another level. 

Pete

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it, You have every reason, a base and some figure enriches any piece, no matter how good or bad it may be.

Cheers Pete 👍

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 07:56, Hewy said:

Icing on the cake that is francis, beautifully finished off

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you ilke it, You are right, the figures give a touch that can not be achieved without them.

Cheers Hewy 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 06/10/2019 at 17:08, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent work and amazing diorama, Francis! 😉

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, As I said before, this is my first diorama "seriously", a field that I like very much, but in which I am "quite lost", although the result encourages me to do more ...

Cheers Nikolay. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Francis, your Stug diorama / vignette is tremendous, I particularly like it with the figures. 

The base is just the sort of thing I had in mind, just not quite as big. In what order did you create it?  Ground work made of household filler? Grass first and then fill in after with the gravel or glue the gravel down and add the "clumps" after? 

I've seen the "clumps" and strips of grass that can be bought and used I assume you must have used quite a few..

Any tips on creating it gratefully received. 

Apologies for all the questions, hope they make sense. 

Thanks for sharing the links.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

That’s a really nice Stug mate.....really nice. As You probably guessed.......I like them dirty ( some use to say , just like my women😜, but that’s another story)

love the well worn and battle fatigue. The “make do and mend; your getting nothing new” being the catchphrase of the German army by the end, is show well here.

Everything blends nicely, also the diorama looks the part. That is my new challenge for 2020.......some dioramas. All your foliage looks natural.....excellent 👍

All the best mate

cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis, your Stug diorama / vignette is tremendous, I particularly like it with the figures. 

The base is just the sort of thing I had in mind, just not quite as big. In what order did you create it?  Ground work made of household filler? Grass first and then fill in after with the gravel or glue the gravel down and add the "clumps" after? 

I've seen the "clumps" and strips of grass that can be bought and used I assume you must have used quite a few..

Any tips on creating it gratefully received. 

Apologies for all the questions, hope they make sense. 

Thanks for sharing the links.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I have to confess modestly, that I was also quite satisfied with what I got. It was not easy, because the kit is not one of the best (horrible main adjustment points, with modifications that require more skill with scratch than mine), and I also complicated myself with a set of PEs (foolish ... run away ... .like Gandalf in the fight with the Walrog? ... lol).
As it was for a GB, I decided to do the rest, with a base and figures ... the first, difficult for me, and the second, pending subject ...
Although I was not in a good place, it was something nice to keep and exhibit.

No problem, I am sorry not to be an "expert" in this field, but it is a part of the forum that I like, if we cannot exchange techniques and info, you lose something ... glad to help.

Unfortunately I do not have many photos of the process at the base, because I tried a thousand things before finding something decent, and the time for GB s was running out quickly ...

I remember that the base was made of balsa wood, two pieces joined together, and then framed (thanks to my brother), once ready, the small slope on one side, you put some stuffing, such as foam, a paper ball, etc. ..that is to your liking.
then, a "cat litter" bath ... lol, which I crushed and then sprinkled on carpenter's glue until it was covered.
When it dried enough, I was putting turfs of grass, which I had bought, and spent several blisters.
I painted the surface with airbrush, and finally I put the trees and bushes, which I bought too, and although somewhat expensive, they remained spare.
The marks of the tracks were more complicated for me, because if you want to simulate the weight of the vehicle, it requires that you have to lower that part at the base (I did not do it ... d'oh), so I had to "raise" the sides of the tracks ...

HTH, cheers Darryl 👍

• Like 1

Thanks Francis for the info about your base, just what I needed to know. 

Having never tried it before good to get some advice, particularly as yours came out so well.👍

Cheers Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 17/12/2019 at 13:36, Redcoat2966 said:

That’s a really nice Stug mate.....really nice. As You probably guessed.......I like them dirty ( some use to say , just like my women😜, but that’s another story)

love the well worn and battle fatigue. The “make do and mend; your getting nothing new” being the catchphrase of the German army by the end, is show well here.

Everything blends nicely, also the diorama looks the part. That is my new challenge for 2020.......some dioramas. All your foliage looks natural.....excellent 👍

All the best mate

cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, 

Many thanks for your kinds words, i'm glad you like it, It has also been a challenge for me, I had never done a serious diorame or vignette before, for fear / lack of skill, but I was always attracted to the subject, and the figures, it is a problem that I remain decent ...
Thanks to what I have been seeing on the forum and other Internet sites, I have been able to conclude with this.
Merry Christmas and best wishes. 🎅

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Another superb build, weathering and diorama execution Francis!

Makes me wonder what that crew and vehicle has been through to be in that condition. No doubt they are a weary bunch!

Looking forward to the next build.

All the best,

R.

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2020 at 19:12, Ceithearn said:

Another superb build, weathering and diorama execution Francis!

Makes me wonder what that crew and vehicle has been through to be in that condition. No doubt they are a weary bunch!

Looking forward to the next build.

All the best,

R.

Hi R.

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you lik it.

That was the idea, to show a used vehicle and in the final stages of the war.
Cheers and TC
Francis 👍