*NEW PICS * SEE BELOW (FIGURES ADDED) IT'S TIME...AMBUSH!!, GERMAN TANK DESTROYERS VOL2, STUG IV 1/35 ITALERI GB Pz.IV

Hi Pals,

a new model, this time it is a Stug IV Sdkfz.167 to 1/35 scale, from Italeri, which started in the WIP section, but which changed and was built to participate in the GB of PzIV of the forum and which ends today (if I'm not wrong).

At first I was only going to make the kit, but seeing the GB works, I decided to give a base to the vehicle, and since it gave me time, there are a series of photos with the whole set.

The kit has been somewhat complicated, because the fit is not good in fundamental pieces, and also added elements of PE, so I complicate more.
In spite of everything it has served me to try and refine some skill, and the result is not all bad, I confess that I like how it was, although it can always be improved ...

The base has been quite experimental, because it is the first one that I am serious about. I had components that I have accumulated over time in case they served me some day, and more or less "homemade" products, for the rest of the work.
After trying enough, I was lucky with what I had, because there was no time to try anything else.

I include a link for those interested, to the WIP section of the GB PZIv, and perhaps to the Dioramas / vignettes section.

Thank you very much for watching and commenting as always.

Cheers mates.:thumbsup:

Vehicule pics...

g7qtWJG.jpg

ljdGlVC.jpg

DpmI5Tm.jpg

fRR5Gj2.jpg

sjFj9Nq.jpg

v4EvzcJ.jpg

dV17we0.jpg

S1vwV9t.jpg

FIhkrI4.jpg

oqe8TML.jpg

xi0JpGu.jpg

YaSgp9F.jpg

JMUUCdJ.jpg

QsIi6dG.jpg

Some pics in detail and closer...

0GThiWe.jpg

C9HVJ6q.jpg

IB61NPQ.jpg

uTrmpFG.jpg

8kIR1y6.jpg

FqBFS1a.jpg

S60NSgm.jpg

kMEeZg7.jpg

ifskXfS.jpg

0tSXOtJ.jpg

tKHpVX7.jpg

ShvyRwg.jpg

OaQexnI.jpg

PsYNZbQ.jpg

8HvCcOV.jpg

With the base...

j3jAOLS.jpg

kQXNnm4.jpg

YbbOlgU.jpg

wcXarTf.jpg

9tRWGWs.jpg

uJ2ykP6.jpg

5Cv6wgO.jpg

NmSZX9p.jpg

kUUOJBp.jpg

ladtuc1.jpg

d8p92aA.jpg

ZkNHldi.jpg

tmH95dl.jpg

1qRe9C1.jpg

awQSnMN.jpg

X96NKwL.jpg

6XKjYx8.jpg

dXciivP.jpg

YVqF8iU.jpg

d4IzBld.jpg

N0GGcWD.jpg

gGBMhb5.jpg

105BzwN.jpg

hWbKwlp.jpg

Hh0dLyt.jpg

qtBBznP.jpg

My apologies to anyone who thinks there are too many photos ...:whistle:.

Cheers mates.

NyuWAWh.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

I've said it before Francis, but I'll say it again, 'that's one fantastically battered, dirty-old-pig of a StuG, and it looks stunning on that base. Okay, like Soeren, I expected to see a more 'swampy' terrain, but fair play, the 'gravel/sand/mud on the Schurtzen and running gear is caked on and dry, so that just shows where it has been recently.

It's a shame we didn't get to see the building of the base, because I'd like to have seen it 'in progress' especially the applying of the cat litter and the clumps of grass. Did you make those yourself or are they those 'ready made' clumps you can buy?

Whatever, it's probably the best 'first ever' diorama I've seen. But definitely, a few figures (including the StuG commander or MG'er) and something like a motorcycle dispatch rider would really add to the scene and make it absolutely perfect.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

Hi Francis. As I said in your build thread you have achieved a fantastic result! It looks a real beast of a tank and all your extra detailing brings it to life! Very well done! :thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Soeren said:

Wow,  Francis. Very weathered tank. Base looks great as well. Although I had imagined this sitting in the swamp for months ;)

Hi Soeren,
Many thanks for your like and kind comments, I would have liked to try that, but with what I had within my reach, I do not think I would have achieved it.
And the lack of time did not help me to try more things either ...

Cheers Soeren 👍

20 hours ago, Badder said:

I've said it before Francis, but I'll say it again, 'that's one fantastically battered, dirty-old-pig of a StuG, and it looks stunning on that base. Okay, like Soeren, I expected to see a more 'swampy' terrain, but fair play, the 'gravel/sand/mud on the Schurtzen and running gear is caked on and dry, so that just shows where it has been recently.

It's a shame we didn't get to see the building of the base, because I'd like to have seen it 'in progress' especially the applying of the cat litter and the clumps of grass. Did you make those yourself or are they those 'ready made' clumps you can buy?

Whatever, it's probably the best 'first ever' diorama I've seen. But definitely, a few figures (including the StuG commander or MG'er) and something like a motorcycle dispatch rider would really add to the scene and make it absolutely perfect.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder, 

Many thanks for your interest, like and kind words, "Stuggy-Piggy", it has been a little busy, a small ambush here, a mud bath over there ... lol.

With the materials that I had on hand, what you say, is exactly what I thought about recreating, the mud, type of leaves attached to the vehicle, are not like the ones at the base, but I think it is coherent to think, that as the vehicles moved by many places and kilometers, before being destroyed or abandoned, "Stuggy-Piggy" has come from somewhere else something different, with traces of what was there.
For example, I would have loved to have put fallen leaves of the "oak" type, but the little trees there are not, so I had to give up.
I confess that I would have liked it to be more hidden, as its name indicates, but it goes against seeing the best model ...
And I like the combination of light, autumn tones.

My apologies for not showing the progress of the base, but as I said, I did not intend to do it, I have no confidence in my ability for that, I was not clear about what to do or what material to use, and I saw that I ran out of time ...
The groups of grass are bought, take off the sticker, and paste in its place, thank goodness that I had enough, although of several colors, that I had to airbrush.

Once again, you are absolutely right, "some figure = icing on the cake", and I have tried, but the results were very mediocre, and I had to finish the base, take the photos, upload them and publish ... if I had had a couple of weeks more, I think I would have dared to put some.

Later on, maybe I can fix some of the ones that have been semi-finished ...

Cheers Badder👍

• Like 1

What a superb build; I love the fact that this Stug tells the story of a very hard life in the field. The color scheme is great and I love the contrast with the rust and red primer on the battered schurzen.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

I'll probably get castigated for this but here goes.....

All the hatches are 'buttoned' down, therefore I dont think the amount of weapons and gear would have been left unsecured and unattended on the decks

Grass effect on the tracks is ok, but maybe a bit OTT?

Apart from that great build, weathering looks good 🙂

• Like 1

On 16/03/2019 at 19:54, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. As I said in your build thread you have achieved a fantastic result! It looks a real beast of a tank and all your extra detailing brings it to life! Very well done! :thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers Stix 👍

On 18/03/2019 at 07:34, Sancho Panzer said:

What a superb build; I love the fact that this Stug tells the story of a very hard life in the field. The color scheme is great and I love the contrast with the rust and red primer on the battered schurzen.

Andrew

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm gld you like it. I've always loved the side-skirts of Stugs and Pzs, it's a piece that allows you to work them thoroughly ...

Cheers Andrew 👍

On 18/03/2019 at 09:38, Bullbasket said:

Excellent work on the Stug Francis. I like the battered, abandoned look.

John.

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, 

my idea was not that it seemed abandoned, yes used, but active, maybe if there was "someone" out there ... lol
I have thought to include some figure, to give it "life", later ...

Cheers John 👍

• Like 1

Well, that's the icing on the cake Francis!

Now we know that Stuggy-piggy isn't dead, it's just thirsty. And no one tried to steal the tools/stowage because the crew would have beaten them up.

Great figures, realistically posed and well painted. Which company made them?

BTW, there are a few jerry cans which seem to be propped up by a few blades of grass. I know you know they shouldn't be propped up like that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because I have nothing else but praise.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Badder said:

Well, that's the icing on the cake Francis!

Now we know that Stuggy-piggy isn't dead, it's just thirsty. And no one tried to steal the tools/stowage because the crew would have beaten them up.

Great figures, realistically posed and well painted. Which company made them?

BTW, there are a few jerry cans which seem to be propped up by a few blades of grass. I know you know they shouldn't be propped up like that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because I have nothing else but praise.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Many thanks for your kind words as always mate, the figures are from a Dragon set (I had in the "stash" a long, long ago ...), I had not realized, if I have commented very briefly on my first thread of "Diorames RTI".

To be the first in which I work in depth, they are not too bad, I would like them to be better, but for now, I overcame this technique, even so, IMHO, I think they can accompany "Stuggy" without detracting from the previous work .

Those of the jerrrys in the grass, you say it for the supposed weight of the drum, what should be pressing it more ?, in any case they are not fixed, so I can still fix that.

Yesterday I received, among other things, a set of drums and jerrys from Tamiya, hence the drum with the hand pump. I inserted a piece of cable as a hose (luckily I had ... lol), and the truth is that this "little guy" I love how it has been ...

Cheers Badder.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

To be the first in which I work in depth, they are not too bad, I would like them to be better, but for now, I overcame this technique, even so, IMHO, I think they can accompany "Stuggy" without detracting from the previous work .

Those of the jerrrys in the grass, you say it for the supposed weight of the drum, what should be pressing it more ?, in any case they are not fixed, so I can still fix that.

Yesterday I received, among other things, a set of drums and jerrys from Tamiya, hence the drum with the hand pump. I inserted a piece of cable as a hose (luckily I had ... lol), and the truth is that this "little guy" I love how it has been ...

Well, you're pretty good at painting so I knew your first attempt at figures would be better than mine was, many years ago. I'm still not very good even now; probably yours are as good as I could do. They do fit your dio well though. I will definitely search for the kit as I could do with them myself.

The Tamiya Jerry can set is a good buy - although the Jerry cans can be improved with the added middle handle and PE on the filler caps.  I DID realise that you just placed your Jerry cans in the grass for photographic purposes, but yes, the ones lying down should have crushed the grass flat and the ones leaning over should have fallen over flat as well. As I said, I know you know that, so it's not really an issue.

It's clear that you enjoyed this build; the StuG, diorama and figures and I enjoyed watching your progress. The result is fantastic and I look forward to seeing some of your previous builds in dioramas now, or at least with added figures and sitting on a plinth/vignette.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2019 at 21:08, Rogue705 said:

I'll probably get castigated for this but here goes.....

All the hatches are 'buttoned' down, therefore I dont think the amount of weapons and gear would have been left unsecured and unattended on the decks

Grass effect on the tracks is ok, but maybe a bit OTT?

Apart from that great build, weathering looks good 🙂

Hi Rogue,

There is no punishment in sight ... lol, an opnion whenever it is constructive (as I suppose it is yours), it does not have to be, at least it seems that you like how it was ... lol
You are right with what you say, many weapons and material and nobody in sight, it seems logical.
But what if a "Tiffie" or "Jug" went through nearby and crushed the crew when they were eating ...
Anyway, I ended up including some figures that could not go with the model in time for the GB, so the "mystery" is solved ... lol.
The effect that you comment that seems to you somewhat OTT, because it could be, about tastes ...
I include a photo of a Stug III in full "job", which I think is even more "dirty", almost, almost like a real "pig" (aka "Stuggy-Piggy").

WZxdHZt.jpg

Cheers mate.

• Like 1