Infamous ship-killer

Torbjorn

On 5/12/2019 at 1:33 AM, trickyrich said:

I don't think it looks too bad/thick, you could always mist over some lighter green just give it that extra patchy/faded look?

I think the colour will "change" a bit once you have the rest of the painting and markings done.

It’s the patchy look I’m after: there weren’t much fading at this time. There’s a bit of liberty involved since the photos that probably existed went down with the ship at Midway. In fact I’m intending to depict Nagai’s plane, which *may* have had the code BI-311 (and likely not, but it’s just too tempting since I have the decals...) Nagai hit the cruiser Helena for which - whether he mistook it for a battleship or intentionally selected it as a legitimate secondary target - he received quite some flak from some of his fellow pilots. 

Anyhow I went over the model with the greygreen again, but gently to avoid overdoing it. Next stripes - one blue ID band around the fuselage and 3 command stripes on the fin.

• Like 1

Getting closer. Painting done, stripes were masked and painted, and the cowl received a blueblack mix.

Applying underside decals to see whether I should paint the upper wing suns or take the easy way out with the decals. I must say I find the greygreen undersurface colour pleasing to the eye:

Microsol applied:

LDQSclE.jpg

Hmm, those flaps needs a face lift.

The only «missing» decal is the ‘B’ in the fin code. I cut one out of a spare hinomaru decal (kit contains two sets). Not perfect certainly, but after touch ups it’ll be fine.

n3tJ2d0.jpg

Just a bit of overspray on the horisontal stabiliser to fix. I have to learn to be patient while masking and more generous with tape.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

...and uppers. Decided to use the decals for the roundels after all. I will add some irregularity to them with oils.

Touchups, missing sticking out bits and some weathering to go. Maybe one more update - this is the point where i start loosing unterest and start thinking about what to build next :D

knrWDee.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

...this is the point where i start loosing unterest and start thinking about what to build next :D

Hah! Don't for one moment think we'll let you :whip: It's looking far too good to become a shelf queen.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, Col. said:

Hah! Don't for one moment think we'll let you :whip: It's looking far too good to become a shelf queen.

Oh, I will finish all right, just with my mind elsewhere :D

I made said touch-ups and some oil painting, mostly to make the underside less monotonous. The upper side is varied enough. Panels lines are overdone on Airfix kits, so no accents added there. The grey walk ways were masked and airbrushed.

Finally finished the lights. The wingtip ones were painted with thinned colours. The running lights atop the wings were filled with one layer of coloured white glue (blue resp. red for stb and port) and topped with layers of uncoloured white glue. The glue shrinks, so it will have to be repeated until a flush surface is achieved. You can see the last layer drying here 4 white dots):

vCghyWv.jpg

Here below are three things I have worked with since last post: the stb running lights, a new home-baked torpedo sight and painted landing gear indicator (the quarter circle sticking out of the wing). Somewhere I picked up that they were red with some triangular white marks at the bottom. Don’t ask for a reference, I have long since forgotten. 

PsaqS36.jpg

Underside after oil painting below. This image shows clearly where I got tired of rivetting and started going quick and messy. If one should bother with rivets, one should have the patience :(

9pX1AQO.jpg

Airscrew. Stripes are kit decals. Need trimming.

11QftX5.jpg

And finally the finished torpedo. I brush-painted the wood silver, as I believe was done originally:

edit:hmph, the grain is oversize after all

U2ASVfB.jpg

Assembly and coating left!

And antenna.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

Mhmm yeah, lovely paint job, very neat, no bits needing touched up. I can’t see an issue with riveting either, looking good

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:56 PM, Valkyrie said:

Mhmm yeah, lovely paint job, very neat, no bits needing touched up. I can’t see an issue with riveting either, looking good

Thanks for that - I have arranged the need for touch ups though. The canopy mask from Pmask has a really sticky glue. It makes for wonderfully straight lines since no paint can penetrate, but leaves a sticky residue and makes the masks really stick: when pulling the masks off, two out of three canopy pieces came off before the mask glue let go. This also mangled the canopy rails (made of paper)  I had added.

And this despite me foreseeing the problem and reinforcing the canopy joints... 

At least I’ll get a chance to repaint the area beneath the windscreen. The light greygreen just looks wrong here, but I can’t find information about the correct color:

spacer.png

I think I will repaint it in the cockpit green, or possibly dark grey.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1