1/72nd AZ Mohawk III, 510 Sqn 1943

Not posted for a while, partly because camera had died and has been replaced and also owing to ongoing family concerns re mum.  this model is AZ Mohawk III kit finished in the markings of 510 Sqn at Hendon in 1943. The kit provides the decals, most of which were not used as the roundels were a bit bright and I was not sure about the codes. 510 was a relatively short lived communication squadron with a variety of aircraft that included this Mohawk, that apparently lasted until late 1943, when it was struck of charge after an accident. By that time I should imagine spares may have also been a problem. The model is based on a photograph and a couple of profiles. The kit gives grey codes, but the photo (and I know bw photos are not always a reliable means of deciding colours) suggest to me that the codes were dull red. The photo also shows the aircraft was unarmed.

The kit itself was not too bad to build given the nature of 'short run' kits. the main problems were with the cowling and wing roots. the latter needed some work on the top wing halves to ensure the wing had some dihedral. Paints were Xtracrylix and decals a mixture of kit and Modeldecals.

40422032073_9c40d04e92_z_d.jpg

46664258564_0356f424ac_k_d.jpg

47334769462_f1b365d18b_k_d.jpg

46664257444_3e488bbfe4_k_d.jpg

Hope you like it

Martin

• Like 33

11 hours ago, glatisant said:

A lovely looking build. Great camo scheme.

Thanks, I have always quite liked the look of the P36 and first saw the scheme in an old Aircam book nearly 50 years ago. 

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Now that's a bit nice, you've done a lovely job on that, its nice to see something I have in stock come up so well, a good confidence boost.

Steve.

Thanks, it is not a bad kit, needs a bit of cleaning up and fettling to make sure it fits and the instructions could be a little clearer in places. 

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

A very tidy little job. What did you do on the seams betwixt wing and fuselage? They look marvelous.

WIng-fuselage seams are something I like to get right as they are very obvious. The upper wings were tacked with superglue and accelerator, then liquid cement used to bond stuff together. I seem to recall some gaps on the underside that received a thin shim of plastic card to fill, which is another of my favourites as it forms a stronger joint and a better finish. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That looks nice. Is that the kit-supplied tail-fin decal? It looks a bit too large. I don't think it should be down unto the tailplane root.

Chris

No it is from the old Modeldecals sheet cut to the specific size for a fighter. I must admit I had not really noticed until I looked at the pictures again. Might do a bit of patch painting when I next have some Day Fighter colours on the go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, opus999 said:

Looks great! I didn't know the RAF flew P-36s.  I do now!

Yes, The RAF in the UK had a handful of aircraft that escaped from France  plus some for test. Britain took over the outstanding French contracts for 204 75-A4 that arrived in Britain and were sent overseas, some for training in South Africa and two Squadrons (5 and 155) were equipped with them in India and saw service against the Japanese. AR633 was one of five Norwegian A-6s' that had been diverted to the UK after the Germans invaded Norway. I fancy doing one of the Indian based machines, which had a different engine, but AZ are not doing that version yet, so an old conversion kit might be used with one of the current kits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1