Academy 1/35 Jagdpanzer Hetzer

2 hours ago, Badder said:

A brilliant Hetzer, with lovely, very slightly faded disc camo - I know how hard that dotty stuff is! I must say that the figure is beautifully sculpted/moulded by the designer/manufacturer and wonderfully painted by you. And I think the lamppost deserves a mention too.

May I be cheeky and suggest maybe a few propaganda posters/leaflets blowing across the road, or stuck to the lamppost?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

thanks for for your very kind comments. I was aiming for a heavily weathered appearance and deliberately faded the paint from top to bottom. The figure is an Alpine Miniatures WSS commander, and I agree that Alpine figures are superbly sculpted. I’m glad you like the lamppost - I basecoated it an orange-brown and used the hairspray technique to produce the chipping and rust spots.

i like your suggestion of the posters - it would break up the fairly monotone base. I’ll have a quick search.

Cheers,

Andrew 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Hi @Soeren

Are you planning on the Ambush’ Camo scheme for your Hetzer?  If so, if you are able to PM me your postal address I can make another stencil and ship it to you. 

cheers,

Andrew 

As I said, you made it really look convincing and thank you very much for the offer. I was browsing for some pictures yesterday and saw some of the available Hetzers and the attempt to restore that scheme went completely wrong. But I also found some nice alternative paint schemes, light sand, dark green an brown hard edged and also sand, light green and dark green and might go for some of these. Just for the sake of doing it differently.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

This is awesome.  I like the Hetzer, great paint job, the figure is awesome and the base and rubble looks great!  Just a couple of questions, what is the machine on the rear right for, and how did you weather the paint?

Hi @sanfrandragon

thanks for your kind comments, I really appreciate it; the item on the rear right fender is the jack for carrying out track and running gear repairs in the field. The weathering took quite a while although I was happy with the end result.

• I applied a 'filter' by airbrush (light tan-yellow) over the whole vehicle in several very thin coats from a distance, adding more layers on the lower half to give a dusty appearance - this was Liquitex 'Transparent Raw Sienna' acrylic ink
  • I applied a thin coat of satin acrylic varnish to the whole vehicle
  • I applied a burnt sienna 'pinwash' to all bolts, rivets, weld-lines and panel gaps etc using oil colour thinned with turpentine, 
  • I then drybrushed all rivets, bolts etc using acrylics in lighter shades of the underlying camo colour.
  • I 'colour modulated' each camo colour patch using lighter and darker shades of each main colour plus a tiny amount of blue on the green and an intense yellow on the dunkelgelb patches. This was done using artists oils, and gives subtle colour variations on each patch
  • I then painted vertical streaks using very thinned black and white oils, repeating as necessary and trying not to overdo it. I added a couple of stains around the engine covers.
  • Rust patches were built up using a dark red-brown base, applying layers of Liquitex 'Red Oxide' acrylic ink using a brush, and finally drybrushing lightly using Citadel 'Ryza Rust' drybrush paint 
  • bare metal on edges and handles was simulated with a very soft graphite pencil
  • I applied both light tan and dark brown pigments quite sparingly, adding more of the brown on the lower half
  • I used a stiff bush and a dark tan acrylic to 'spatter' some dried mud onto the rear
  • I gave the whole vehicle a coat of matt acrylic varnish

This is quite a lot of work, although was quite fun to do,

Cheers,

Andrew

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Got the kit from Korea within only a few weeks. That is a tiny little tank. Wow. But really nice kit.

Enjoy the build - I look forward to seeing it! 🙂