Seaplanes on HMS Nelson deck during WW2

KRK4m

AFAIK between 1937 and 1943 HMS Nelson was equipped with a single seaplane that was lowered on the sea (and then picked-up from the water) by the ship crane when the sea was calm. 

Were the aircraft carried on the Nelson deck only Walruses or was there any Seafox/Shark/Swordfish operating from HMS Nelson during the war?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

AFAIK between 1937 and 1943 HMS Nelson was equipped with a single seaplane that was lowered on the sea (and then picked-up from the water) by the ship crane when the sea was calm. 

Were the aircraft carried on the Nelson deck only Walruses or was there any Seafox/Shark/Swordfish operating from HMS Nelson during the war?

Cheers

Michael

I don't think Nelson ever carried an aircraft? Her sister ship HMS Rodney did, and it lived on its catapult on top of X turret.

• Thanks 1

Les & Robert Brown in their "Rodney and Nelson" do mention (p. 55) that in 1935 there was "...crane fitted on the port side of the weather deck abreast the bridge for aircraft trials. Crane is retained after the completion of the trials..."

Of course it seems unbelievable that "...after further trials in 1935, during which a Walrus was catapulted fullyloaded from HMS Nelson..." (Encyclopedia of Weapons of WW2 by Chris Bishop) as there have never been a catapult installed on HMS Nelson.

But the crane was there still in 1940, so the question arouse about the Walrus (or Swordfish) being carried to the sea and lowered by the crane for a water surface take-off.

Cheers

Michael   

• Like 1

Hi Jamie,

Exactly so have (seen) and don't (recall) I...

Thank you for sharing my doubts and disbelief :)

Cheers

Michael