Aftermarket suggestions

Tony C

Hi All,

By nature, i'm a aviation modeller but fancy a go at shipbuilding and I've recently got my hands on Trumpeter's 1:350 HMS Hood!

However, with it being a Trumpeter kit; suspect that it may have errors and wonder if anyone can advise if there is a list of these faults and if there are aftermarket corrections available plus what PE , if any should be considered?

Similarly, I've also purchased Merit's 1:350 Ark Royal but although I haven't heard any stories regarding inaccuracies, would also like to ask the same question as above, with regard to faults, aftermarket corrections and recommended PE.

Thanks,

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony C said:

Hi All,

By nature, i'm a aviation modeller but fancy a go at shipbuilding and I've recently got my hands on Trumpeter's 1:350 HMS Hood!

However, with it being a Trumpeter kit; suspect that it may have errors and wonder if anyone can advise if there is a list of these faults and if there are aftermarket corrections available plus what PE , if any should be considered?

Similarly, I've also purchased Merit's 1:350 Ark Royal but although I haven't heard any stories regarding inaccuracies, would also like to ask the same question as above, with regard to faults, aftermarket corrections and recommended PE.

Thanks,

Tony

For Hood, the only inaccuracies really mentionable are the turrets being a bit naff and the aft Pom pom platform being of an incorrect shape. WEM turrets are hard to come by now but Flyhawk's turrets are good. Flyhawk's PE and set is ok and easy enough to work with, but lacks some important parts including the lattice frame on the port side of X-turret. The White Ensign Models PE set contains this as well as good custom-made lengths of railing etc.

For Ark Royal, the best set is Tetra Model Works' but very close behind is Very Fire's. White Ensign Models also does a set for it, but it's PE only so lacks gun barrels etc and the AA weapons are 2-dimensional.

• 3 weeks later...

As Jamie states the Hood turrets need replacing, and WEM and Flyhawk are good replacements, but don't forget the 3D printed ones from Shapeways.  MicroMaster make some really nice ones.

• 1 month later...

I am doing quite a lot of research for a future build of the Merit Ark 3.  As Jamie says, the Tetra detail-up set is pretty awesome; comprehensive and of excellent quality - but even that misses some stuff (depending on how much you want to detail, I guess).  NorthStar do some good generic RN things (winches, bridge gear and similar) which will help busy things up.  They also do some nice HACS - either open or with the covers on; the latter particularly useful since it's the only way I've found of depicting them that way.  Missing from anything that I have found are the (prominent) steaming light box on the forepeak (immediately above the so-called "eyes" - the two fairlead openings right forward), and the siren horn above it and offset to port.  I think I am right in saying that the VeryFire set has the siren.

Good references are hard to find - especially photos.  I highly recommend "British Warships of the Second World War: Detailed in the Original Builders' Plans" by John Roberts - lots of fascinating plans anyway, but including Ark as at 1939.                                 

• Like 4