Airfix 1/48 F.6 conversion

Well finished the Airfix 1/48 F.6, at last, to a Hunter made for two. Took pictures of the final ‘T’ bird only to notice that I’d forgotten to add the wing pitot, added a pic with the paint still wet. The only issues I had was sourcing the ‘WC’ decal that goes on the rear tail near the fin flash. Fantasy Printshop make a sheet for the XL573 Hunter, but I wasn't going to pay £20+for the 'WC' motif, had the other decals needed to hand. Thanks for looking.

Greg.

hunter%20cockpit%20rear_zpscjzvwzwp.jpghunter%20flaps%20down_zpskddrz6fl.jpghunter%20wing%20probe_zps4dxaeza4.jpgunder%20hunter%20one_zpsqqcoilvn.jpghunter%20rear%20top%20two_zpsozuynbcc.jphunter%20front%20top%20one_zpsqppts4k5.jhunter%20under%20rear%20two_zpsmg7yodxg.

• Like 45

Beautiful work, a great model of the Hunter T bird.

You are OK without the "WC". That was its tail code on 237 OCU between 1984-86. (The OCU had codes ending in C, 12 Sqn F and 208 Sqn S) You have it later, when in the hands of 12 Sqn, the tail codes changed to the last 3 of the serial number in a pale blue.

But there are pictures of XL573 with the foxes head and no tail code. So you are perfect as you are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/4247543197/in/photostream/

Edited by Phone Phixer
Wrong link

Very very smart looking Hunter Greg. I saw this aircraft a couple of times and you have got the weathering about right - it was always very clean and smart looking.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Beautiful work, a great model of the Hunter T bird.

You are OK without the "WC". That was its tail code on 237 OCU between 1984-86. (The OCU had codes ending in C, 12 Sqn F and 208 Sqn S) You have it later, when in the hands of 12 Sqn, the tail codes changed to the last 3 of the serial number in a pale blue.

But there are pictures of XL573 with the foxes head and no tail code. So you are perfect as you are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/4247543197/in/photostream/

Thanks for that nice to know. I did see a picture with the number 573 in white on the tail, seems XL573 has had many guises over its history. 

23 hours ago, Habu12 said:

What conversion was used?

I've scratch built the parts, nose and spine in balsa wood, then used them to cast the parts in resin. It's a very nose heavy Hunter.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, StephenMG said:

This is excellent work! That nose/spine conversion is outstanding.

What did you do for the tailcone? Did you make a 'small bore' one or just use the kit parts?

I've just used the Airfix parts with the chute housing on, larger hole I know. Also, the kit's engine inner exhaust should have been modified to reach further forward, about 10 to 15 mm approx. Although it would have been the wrong diameter anyway.