What music are you playing:- Part V

Thanks to the magic of Spotify, I'm revisiting a few old Australian albums that I have on cassette from the early 80s- Wendy and the Rocketts 'Dazed for Days', Q.E.D.'s (early Jenny Morris) 'Animal Magic' and as much Eurogliders as I can find. Give it a week or so and I'll be back to Zeppelin, Priest and Motorhead...

• Like 1

Rising Above Belam - Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart

Bonkers!  But brilliant!!

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:50 AM, Bullbasket said:

BTW Mick. I'm probably committing heresy here, but the concert was the first one that I didn't enjoy. They hardly played any of the old standards, and what they did play was just a load of chord changes played very loud. That was probably my last TD concert. I'll still buy their CD's though.

I've been listening to a copy of the concert online. I had to break it up three times, but listened on earphones. The last couple of tracks are the newer members stuff and is really quite intense. Reminded me of early Eno .

I thoroughly enjoyed the concert 🤐 ...

• Like 1

A bunch of Boards Of Canada rarities, including this one:

In a league of their own, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Cheers,

Mark.

Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook. Set the control for the heart for the mother vol. 9.

The Dark side of the Moog.

Ok this is wrong, but also right.

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac.

Tribute bands are like Marmite. Hate them or love them, but you can’t deny that the best ones are very good and hand on heart, this lot are top notch. All right ‘Christine McVie’ can’t play keyboards, but ‘Mick Fleetwood’ plays and looks the part. The only thing missing from his interpretation is that rather odd wide open mouth thing that he often does.

Several other songs re-sung by them are also on  YouTube but this one’s my favourite.

Trevor the heretic  

• Like 2

Went to see John Bramwell (previously of I Am Kloot) with his new band The Full Harmonic Convergence at the Waterbeach Baptist Church. I've seen Bramwell and IAK many times before and his stage banter is worth the price of admission alone. I've also been to several gigs which have been held in churches, but never the two combined.

Bramwell was on top form, the new band very good indeed and the intimate nature of the venue, coupled with sumptuous acoustics combined to make a special night. They played a particularly beautiful version of this song, which I'm not ashamed to admit, brought tears to my eyes.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Ok this is wrong, but also right.

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac.

Tribute bands are like Marmite. Hate them or love them, but you can’t deny that the best ones are very good and hand on heart, this lot are top notch. All right ‘Christine McVie’ can’t play keyboards, but ‘Mick Fleetwood’ plays and looks the part. The only thing missing from his interpretation is that rather odd wide open mouth thing that he often does.

Several other songs re-sung by them are also on  YouTube but this one’s my favourite.

Trevor the heretic  

Trev,

I couldnt agree with you more.

Without a doubt the best tribute bands I have seen though are firstly Ob Jay Da, a Pretenders tribute band. They performed as The Pretend Pretenders but also performed under the name Ob Jay Da.

At times, if you closed your eyes you would think it was the real thing. The singer had Chrissie Hynde's voice to a T, and the guitarist captured the chiming guitar sounds of Honeyman Scott incredibly well.

They have released an EP which I bought after seeing them, and which contains a cover of the Kids are Alright done Pretenders style. I rather sneakily pretended to a Who forum I'm on - this was back in 1997, btw  was an unreleased cover version by the Pretenders. I can tell you there were some who thought I'd found a hidden gem!

The other was a Cardiff originated Queen tribute band, who were without doubt the best Queen tribute I've ever seen called a night at the opera (I don't think they are the one doing the rounds at the moment).

They didn't dress up, and the keyboard player looked like Rick Parfitt and the guitarist looked like Rick Astley. They also took the mickey out of themselves, which added a note of good humour to the shows.

• Like 2

I've seen a couple of tribute bands who IMO were as good as the originals. Aussie Floyd are brilliant, and the Illegal Eagles are for me, better than the originals. I say that because they play the songs as they were recorded years ago, whereas when I went to see The Eagles, they added a bass section and completely ruined it all.

When you hear the Illegal Eagles play the opening intros for Hotel California and One of these nights, then you know it's going to be good.

John.

• Like 2

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The Beatles.

Edited by Mick4350
poor spelling
  • Like 1

I've always been a fan of THE SISTERS OF MERCY - but Madame X is an even bigger fan - you should see her in the leather corsetry and Goth make up - but enough of what goes on 'upstairs' at BIG X TOWERS - please find - for your approval - the boys in action with Ofra Haza - described as HEAVY METAL / MEETS DAVID BOWIE / MEETS THE CIRCUS - by Steve Wright - idiot....

• Like 2

John, if you like Tangerine Dream. Listen to Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook and featuring Bill Laswell. Dark Side of the Moog, vol. 4.

Mick

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 2
  • Greg B locked this topic