Hobby Boss P-38 1/48 Bare Metal Foil

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Johnny :) 

I've just started the 1/72 version from Hobby Boss and I'm sure I won't get the same level of detail as you've achieved.

Very nice.

I am sure that your build will look just GREAT!!!!!

• Thanks 1

fDKiFRq.jpg?1

The KitsWorld decals provide two different set of artwork. I liked the Buckaroo version.

BRIlPce.jpg?1

e4vpoRY.jpg?1

These are nice decals to work with. They are thick enough so that they do not rip, yet the carrier film is crystal clear.

RvXbKAw.jpg?1

After the decals dried I dirtied up the model with a acrylic based wash from a company called Wilder. This wash can be reactivated with water after it dries.

1YwWzj4.jpg?1

AsmzDv2.jpg?1

I used a Black wash on the top of the model and a Mud wash on the bottom of the model.

• Like 8

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

uGCSEsA.jpg?1

The landing gear have been installed. The main gear are =a tight squeeze due to the blue pipes. The front gear is kind of delicate. I need to be careful when I install the gear doors.

• Like 3

Those radiator housings are a treat to behold, from a foiling point of view. 

Very nicely done! 

Then there are the little cone shaped intakes that go on the sides, somewhere near the wheel wells. 

Bare metal or a paint job? 

Dare I ask, how's it going with the rockets? 

(mine are in the spares box, and I think they're staying there...) 

😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Those radiator housings are a treat to behold, from a foiling point of view. 

Very nicely done! 

Then there are the little cone shaped intakes that go on the sides, somewhere near the wheel wells. 

Bare metal or a paint job? 

Dare I ask, how's it going with the rockets? 

(mine are in the spares box, and I think they're staying there...) 

😎

Those little cone shaped things were painted with Testors' Metallizer Aluminum nd buffed to a nice shine. 

Q05r5F4.jpg?1

7sDpOGi.jpg?1

The rockets came out okay. A lot of fussy work. I used a light wash to dirty them up.  I drilled out the nozzle ends.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shan said:

how do you plan to seal the deals with clear coat? and flat coat after that? it will take some of the luster away from the aluminum foil?

I do not seal the decals after they are applied. The stick really well to the foil. No need for a sealer. You are correct. Any kind of sealer would have a negative affect on the appearance of the foil.

eCy9BMc.jpg?1

rheSutE.jpg?1

Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I made a BIG MISTAKE when estimating the amount of weight needed in the nose to keep the nose down. The model has turned out to be a "tail sitter".😱 I think I know what happened. When I estimated the amount of weigh to put into the nose I had the landing gear temporarily installed perpendicular to the wings. In actuality, the landing gear is angled forward about 30 degrees. When the landing gear was glued in place the center of gravity was moved rearward. Now I need to figure out how to fix this.

• Sad 3

No call for alarm..... 

Consider drilling a hole in the bottom of the nose, say 2.5 or 3mm, you can insert weight in pellets and finish off with a length of steel nail cut to be flush with the fuselage surface. 

Any idea how much is needed?? 

Front of the nacelles are available too, and even the spinners 😇

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

No call for alarm..... 

Consider drilling a hole in the bottom of the nose, say 2.5 or 3mm, you can insert weight in pellets and finish off with a length of steel nail cut to be flush with the fuselage surface. 

Any idea how much is needed?? 

Front of the nacelles are available too, and even the spinners 😇

Great suggestion regarding the nacelles???? Thank you.

uKb74FA.jpg?1

First I cut a hole in the front of the nacelle. The hole will be covered by the spinner

VR18Yct.jpg?2

Next I poured lead fishing weights into the nacelle until the nose dropped down. Then I added some more for good luck. Finally I squeezed some white craft glue into the nacelle to keep the weights from rattling around. Again, thanks for the solution!

• Like 7

2sS6osi.jpg?2

Clamps were used to keep the landing gear doors in proper alignment as the glue cures. Note that the rocket racks have been added. Just a few more thing left to do before the model is finished.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2019 at 7:26 PM, Johnny_K said:

2sS6osi.jpg?2

Clamps were used to keep the landing gear doors in proper alignment as the glue cures. Note that the rocket racks have been added. Just a few more thing left to do before the model is finished.

Love a well armed p-38! She is looking a treat.

Rob

On 3/30/2019 at 2:25 AM, Johnny_K said:

I do not seal the decals after they are applied. The stick really well to the foil. No need for a sealer. You are correct. Any kind of sealer would have a negative affect on the appearance of the foil.

what i did was to fill a tub with future clear and soak the model in. when i used an airbrush it kinda took the sheen away, but when its soaked and dripped dry, it was not too bad. but its crazy to work an 1/32 scale this way.

7_zps7jhymlta.jpg

• 6 months later...

When I foil an airplane (I use kitchen foil with artist's gold leaf adhesive), I always seal everything in by brush-painting Future. I'm under the impression that it actually adds to the luster of the foil. Without a top coat, there's always the danger of the decals peeling away after a few years. Has happened to me in the past...

Your model is very well done. Need to try out the Kits World decals myself. Thanks for the tip.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:38 AM, daHeld said:

When I foil an airplane (I use kitchen foil with artist's gold leaf adhesive), I always seal everything in by brush-painting Future. I'm under the impression that it actually adds to the luster of the foil. Without a top coat, there's always the danger of the decals peeling away after a few years. Has happened to me in the past...

Your model is very well done. Need to try out the Kits World decals myself. Thanks for the tip.

Having decals fall off of a finished model is one of my concerns. So far the only decals that have been problem are decals from a 35 year old Monogram model that I recently finished.

On 22/10/2019 at 08:38, daHeld said:

, I always seal everything in by brush-painting Future. I'm under the impression that it actually adds to the luster of the foil.

I've mostly given up with anything on the top of Ali foil for a long time. I'd rather be able to clean and polish the metal. 

And I don't like the look of top coats. 

3 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

decals fall off of a finished model is one of my concerns.

I have got into the habit of using a dash of Humbrol Decalfix on the area before applying the decal, and if it contracts by surface tension like the foil surface is repelling it, I rub it in manually.... That seems to settle the Decalfix on to the surface and ready to take the decal on. 

I took on the project of refurbishment of an old F86 Sabre with new decor, and I can tell you it was quite a job getting some of the old transfers off. They certainly weren't going to peel and fall off any time soon!! 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Clarity