Trumpeter F-100D Super Sabre 1/48

Great kit that goes together very well.  There are a few "issues" though: first a boarding ladder is provide but cannot be used as it requires an open canopy with which the kit can't be built!  Secondly, there are two different AAR probes provided, with zero guidance about which should be used.  Thirdly - and potentially more confusing - there are two different ventral airbrakes & again with zero guidance about which should be used.  I made a selection based upon nothing in particular & all was going well, until I went to fit the centre line fuel tank to the pylon I had attached.......it does not fit the gap in the airbrake which is presumably meant to fit around a store carried here!  I am NOT an F-100 expert but I can only suppose that on the real thing, the airbrake is interchangeable according to whether & which centre line store is being carried but this seems an AWFUL lot of bother!  Apart from this it was an enjoyable build.  I used an Xtradecal sheet rather than trust the kit decals.  This states that unusually for a USAF machine, the F-100 was PAINTED silver rather than NMF (similar to the RAF practice of using high speed silver).  Accordingly the main scheme is AK aluminium with a mix of their titanium & bronze with jet exhaust streaks for the bare metal area around the engine.  I'm happy with it.

20190314_11345720190314_11355120190314_11354120190314_113531

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Hi Graham,

I really find your F-100 smashing! Possibly the most streamlined of the Century fighters!

Great build and top paint job.

Re the airbrakes, they never were interchangeable. There must be a problem with either the center store or the notch in the a/b.

Whatever, nobody  will notice!

Congrats.

JR

If there was center store then you need the speed brake with the larger cutout.  The the brake with the larger cutout and the center store addition happened during F-100D production.  The cranked probe happened mid production of the D also, and could be retrofitted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1