Spitfire Mk. I decals 1:48, fündecals

NPL

And something for other producers to take notice off. The research behind the decals must amount to something, and we the material used by this producers. It is simply what should always be available. 

And the many specimens can be used as a review of Spitfire colours and markings from the outbreak of the war  to the end of the BoB.

• Like 1

While I'm very impressed with the research, I'm puzzled by the decision to do SH@Q's fuselage roundels and fin flashes with the standard Dull Blue when the photos show that it clearly wasn't. It's considerably lighter. They've even included a photo which shows another 64 Sqn Spit in the background, illustrating the difference. It's frustrating, as being non-standard, they aren't going to be sourced elsewhere.

Still, if they release it in the Gentleman's Scale, I'll buy it anyway.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

When I asked on Facebook, they said 1/72 decals were poor sellers for them, so it was unlikely at best. Personally, I feel like if you can't sell 1/72 Spitfire decals...well, I mean, come on. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

When I asked on Facebook, they said 1/72 decals were poor sellers for them, so it was unlikely at best. Personally, I feel like if you can't sell 1/72 Spitfire decals...well, I mean, come on. 

I am quite sure that they will change if Tamiya Mk.I 1:72 is out. It is a matter of demand. 

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

While I'm very impressed with the research, I'm puzzled by the decision to do SH@Q's fuselage roundels and fin flashes with the standard Dull Blue when the photos show that it clearly wasn't. It's considerably lighter. They've even included a photo which shows another 64 Sqn Spit in the background, illustrating the difference. It's frustrating, as being non-standard, they aren't going to be sourced elsewhere.

Cheers,

Mark.

You see, without them having published their reference material, we would have been left in the dark. As with all such matters, it may be impossible in  many cases to obtain final results. You probably also remember that previous producers of decals have had Brian Lane's Spitfire with a white 'K'. I never believed in this, but again, some photos I have seen indicates that this could be the case, but not the references in this edition.

I presume this is the sheet under discussion

http://www.fundekals.com/spitfiresPart2.html#

Great, but looking at the way it's printed,  it could have been done as two sheets, as I note the $28 price is over the UK customs limit.

How are Fundekals packaged ?   I assume in stiffend envelope with a customs declaration?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had no damaged decals from them. So, in a plastic back within a stiffened envelope as I remember it.

They have upgraded to Cartograph. 

Yes, and this set of decals is bigger than anything they have previously produced. I guess it is in the spirit of our time: Big and beautiful. Think of Eduard's Czech Spitfires, as well as thei Australian Mk.VIIIs. Did it began fir serious with Victory's Spitfires Aces?

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I presume this is the sheet under discussion

http://www.fundekals.com/spitfiresPart2.html#

Great, but looking at the way it's printed,  it could have been done as two sheets, as I note the $28 price is over the UK customs limit.

How are Fundekals packaged ?   I assume in stiffend envelope with a customs declaration?

Strange that they don't seem have a UK importer. Not like Spitfire models are popular here...

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

That's how I received all the ones I bought.

HMMMMM! All those early Spitfires and not a single early photo-recce version. 😞

Oh well, I can save the money they would've cost me and put it towards some aftermarket sets.

At least the instructions might have some use for me.

Larry

14 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

HMMMMM! All those early Spitfires and not a single early photo-recce version. 😞

Oh well, I can save the money they would've cost me and put it towards some aftermarket sets.

At least the instructions might have some use for me.

Larry

Maybe you should start searching for these decals:

On Target Decals MA-48131 Photo Reconnaisance Spitfire Part I – 15

early Merlin Engine Schemes

PR Mk.Ia, N3071, No 2 Camouflage Unit, 1939

PR Mk.Ib, P3331, B, 212 Sqn, 1940

PR Mk.Ic, R6903, PRU 1941

PR Mk.Ic, P9385, LY, PRU 1941

PR Mk.ID, PP880

PR Mk.ID, BR416

PR Mk.ID, AB315

PR Mk.IF, X4498, E&LY

PR Mk.IG, R7028

PR Mk.IG, R6903

PR Mk.IG, R7143

PR Mk.IV Trop, BP880

PR Mk.IV, LY

PR Mk.XIII, R7335, K&G3

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, politicni komisar said:

We need a reprint this decals 

With more recent fixes and data

P.k

It seems to be still available from Hannants -- just checked.

5 minutes ago, tank152 said:

$28 sounds like a bargin to me when you consider that Eagle-Cals are $21.50 for just 3 or 4 schemes.

Very tempted to get a sheet myself ready for Eduard's Mk.I

Or use it NOW with the new tool Tamiya kit:winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

On 3/16/2019 at 1:46 AM, lasermonkey said:

Cheers,

Mark.

Fundekals have just  posted on Facebook that they have noticed and will print a correction,

"In the immortal words of Roseanne Rosannadanna, "It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another!" Our new Spitfire decal had no sooner come back from the printer than someone pointed out that we'd missed the fact that the roundels and fin flashes on SH-Q were a non-standard blue color. Our attention was so focused on the oddball proportions of the roundels and flashes (in multiples of 4 1/2") that we utterly missed the fact the color was non-standard! On going back and looking our first thought was "it's just an artifact of the type of film, yadda, yada, yadda..." But then we noticed the airplane in the background, which appears to have bog standard roundel and fin flash colors. Eureka! We were wrong! So in keeping with our desire to get it as right as possible, we've decided to print a color correction for those roundels and fin flashes and revise our instruction sheet accordingly. It will take some time to get them printed, but we ask your indulgence while we do, and if you have a burning desire to build this now much more interesting looking airplane from 64 Squadron at RAF Kenley in August of 1940, we will ship them to you for a nominal charge for postage and no more. We'll let you know when we have them in hand. Arrrrrrgh!!!"

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Fundekals have just  posted on Facebook that they have noticed and will print a correction,

"In the immortal words of Roseanne Rosannadanna, "It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another!" Our new Spitfire decal had no sooner come back from the printer than someone pointed out that we'd missed the fact that the roundels and fin flashes on SH-Q were a non-standard blue color. Our attention was so focused on the oddball proportions of the roundels and flashes (in multiples of 4 1/2") that we utterly missed the fact the color was non-standard! On going back and looking our first thought was "it's just an artifact of the type of film, yadda, yada, yadda..." But then we noticed the airplane in the background, which appears to have bog standard roundel and fin flash colors. Eureka! We were wrong! So in keeping with our desire to get it as right as possible, we've decided to print a color correction for those roundels and fin flashes and revise our instruction sheet accordingly. It will take some time to get them printed, but we ask your indulgence while we do, and if you have a burning desire to build this now much more interesting looking airplane from 64 Squadron at RAF Kenley in August of 1940, we will ship them to you for a nominal charge for postage and no more. We'll let you know when we have them in hand. Arrrrrrgh!!!"

Cheers

Jonners

Can't fault their commitment there! I have to admit, when I was doing the screen grabs, I spent a *lot* of time looking at the resultant pictures and it really jumped out at me. SH@J also has the weird, paler blue, though (IIRC) a more standard proportioned roundel.  Also of note is SH@S's 49" fuselage roundel. I plan on doing a whole load of No. 64 Sqn Spitifres from the BoB and the seemingly random assortment of roundels should look interesting together.

I think it was mainly due to there being so few photos of 64's Spitifres during 1940 that I became quite excited once I stumbled across the newsreel.

So, apologies to Fündekals for the trouble, but at least the results should be worth it. I'm sad that there probably won't be anything in 1/72, so I'll probably have to cobble together something myself somehow. Doing the non-standard roundels

and flashes is one thing, but getting the codes right (No. 64 seemed to use a slightly different size individual aircraft letter to the squadron code) is another. I'll have to check the stash for those.

Cheers,

Mark.

ps I had mentioned the paler blue on at least two of No. 64's Spits on a previous thread about the (then) forthcoming decals, a while back, but I guess that must have been missed.

Edited by lasermonkey

5 hours ago, NPL said:

Maybe you should start searching for these decals:

On Target Decals MA-48131 Photo Reconnaisance Spitfire Part I – 15

early Merlin Engine Schemes

PR Mk.Ia, N3071, No 2 Camouflage Unit, 1939

PR Mk.Ib, P3331, B, 212 Sqn, 1940

PR Mk.Ic, R6903, PRU 1941

PR Mk.Ic, P9385, LY, PRU 1941

PR Mk.ID, PP880

PR Mk.ID, BR416

PR Mk.ID, AB315

PR Mk.IF, X4498, E&LY

PR Mk.IG, R7028

PR Mk.IG, R6903

PR Mk.IG, R7143

PR Mk.IV Trop, BP880

PR Mk.IV, LY

PR Mk.XIII, R7335, K&G3

I have had that sheet for years, along with On Target Decals MA-48131 Photo Reconnaissance Spitfire Part III – Griffon Engine Schemes.

I was hoping for something different, using their good research.

I also have PDF copies of the On Target Profiles, to complement the decals.

Of course, now it would be nice for accurate conversion sets for the early PR Spitfires, based on the new Airfix & Tamiya Mk.I kits.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

4 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Of course, now it would be nice for accurate conversion sets for the early PR Spitfires, based on the new Airfix & Tamiya Mk.I kits.

Larry

Did Pavla not revise their sets for the new Airfix?

Then there are the old Almark Decals A48-26 P.R. Markings Europe

PR Mk.1F, P9385, 1st PRU

PR Mk.1F, X4498, 3 PRU

Mk.I PR VII, AR257, 1 PRU

PR G, R7059

PR D Mk.IV, BR416, 2 PRU

PR D Mk.IV, BR416, 74 OTU

PR IV Trop, BP932, Malta

PR VII, X4786, 543 Sqdn

PR XI, MB789, H, 532 Sqdn

PR X, SR396, 542 Sqdn

PR XI, PL775, A, 541 Sqdn

PR XI, PA851, RCAF, 39 Wing

PR XIX, RM645, 682 Sqdn

I suppose that the people behind this sheet were as good as anybody in 'Spitfires' at the time.