Hello all.

ewing9593

Good morning everyone,

I could argue I'm a life long modeller.  It all started with my Grandad and his "stash" when I was growing up. The reality is, I haven't picked up a model kit properly for years, (did manage to land a couple of airfixes last Christmas) however, I grabbed a Tamiya 1/35 kit after being dragged round hobby craft by my other half and I'm back in. I love it!

Wanted to get involved with a community so I can learn about what's out there and I would prefer to support independent model shops than a company like Hobbycraft (I can settle for that if needs must, one is quite close).

I'm based in Manchester, England. So any recommendations on local shops would be much appreciated! I would also like some hobby magazine recommendations if anyone minds? I did buy a couple of issues of Military Modelling and was involved on their message boards at one point, but sadly I have learnt that ceases to publish.

Look forward to sharing my 1/35 build with you all and see all your projects!

Cheers,

Steven

• Like 1

Hello Steven... :post1: from Chicago USA. Hope to see some of your work soon. Sorry cant help you with magazines, i have a subscription to Finescale modeler, sadly its quality over the years has dropped significantly.    

Sadly more and more brick and mortar shops are going the way of the Dinosaurs. Ive been modeling since 1979. Took a 10 year break from 04-14. All but 1 of them disappeared here in Chicago. Online hobby-shops seem to be the wave, Hannants is the big one in the U.K. Ive even ordered from them. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Afternoon Steven, and :post1: there are a number of 'model' shops around the Manchester / Oldham / Bolton area.

Quick Google search brings up around half a dozen. Magazines, the first I'll recommend is Airfix magazine and then M.M.I.(Military Modelling International)

try WH Smiths! Loads of mags on Ships and Boats, Cars, Railways and Aircraft but sadly not a lot on armour since the demise of Mil. Mod. Might be worth a mention in 'chat' and on the armour specific sections on here.

Have fun,

Paul

16 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Steven, and :post1: there are a number of 'model' shops around the Manchester / Oldham / Bolton area.

Quick Google search brings up around half a dozen. Magazines, the first I'll recommend is Airfix magazine and then M.M.I.(Military Modelling International)

try WH Smiths! Loads of mags on Ships and Boats, Cars, Railways and Aircraft but sadly not a lot on armour since the demise of Mil. Mod. Might be worth a mention in 'chat' and on the armour specific sections on here.

Have fun,

Paul

Paul, laziness on my part for not attempting to google. Apologies! I've actually held a copy of M.M.I recently so will probably delve in, I'll try and get down to my local WH Smiths soon and grab the latest of each. Thanks for the warm welcome!

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Steven... :post1: from Chicago USA. Hope to see some of your work soon. Sorry cant help you with magazines, i have a subscription to Finescale modeler, sadly its quality over the years has dropped significantly.    

Sadly more and more brick and mortar shops are going the way of the Dinosaurs. Ive been modeling since 1979. Took a 10 year break from 04-14. All but 1 of them disappeared here in Chicago. Online hobby-shops seem to be the wave, Hannants is the big one in the U.K. Ive even ordered from them. 

Dennis

Dennis, thanks for the welcome! Cubs or White Sox? Just started my first thread if you want a nosey! I will check out Hannants today! Thankyou for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Steven. As Paul said, MMI is a pretty good magazine, edited by Brett Green who is a military modeller, so knows what he's talking about. There is another military magazine with a similar name which escapes me at the moment, but IMO not worth the money.

John.

47 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Cubs of course 😉... Funny thing about baseball. My family grew up within two blocks of Comiskey ball park on the Southside. All but one of us turned out to be Cubs fans, Go figure ?

Oooo, I'd have to go White Sox myself, actually got a little baseball card collection on the go! Funny for someone residing the other-side of the pond! And what are the chances of that! Brilliant! (TRAITORS!)

28 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Welcome aboard Steven. As Paul said, MMI is a pretty good magazine, edited by Brett Green who is a military modeller, so knows what he's talking about. There is another military magazine with a similar name which escapes me at the moment, but IMO not worth the money.

John.

John, thanks for the welcome! I'll stick to MMI, I think it was actually for sale in the Hobbycraft I picked up my first kit from, so possibly another kit and a magazine the next time I pop in. 

• Like 2