Sea king Falklands aew. 2

Hewy

On 04/05/2019 at 15:00, Hewy said:

One more for today and I'm giving my eyes a rest, can  any one tell me what colour to paint the inside of the bay

I don’t know about fish head cabs but the HAR3’s I worked on all had gloss white gear bays, even the grey whale cab that loitered around on D flight had white bays. Interestingly, I do recall that the legs were DSG but the drag stays were white on some or possibly all of them, one of the DSG legs had a white mooring ring thought. The wheels came in a variety of DSG, white or yellow and any combination is possible, as this photo of XZ596 (I think) at Benbecula shows.

3907EBC5-098C-4BF5-9127-50326D9D3139

Edited by Rickoshea52
Added photo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Glynn, the paint looks lovely and smooth.

I think the resin deflated bag looks good and will certainly add interest to the finished model.

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Got to agree the resin bag looks much better than the kit offering, coming together now mate:thumbsup:

Thanks chaps, the pictures were a bit rushed due to some running about for family, 

" The bag "Yes for £6 it's a no brainer much better than I could have cobbled together, Dan you'll have to squint a bit soon when I get some better pictures up, it won't be anywhere near the accuracy, perfection and downright awesomeness as yours, that's a class apart,  BTW I've seen your vice Dan  and its probably essential for these , the only place to hold them is the dog kennel for fear of knocking off something, which I have done🤓 once or twice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

She’s looking good, standing by for the next update. 

A few better pictures (and more revealing of touch ups) the non slip areas could have been better they'll need some work

The blades as mentioned have had a fillet added at the root to represent westland blades a little better, also the kits rotor fold parts don't let the forward two rotors hang properly, cyber hobby would have them all in a straight line,  like a black hawk, 

I cut the parts nearly through and altered the angle without seperating the part and glued a fillit of card in the gap, and drilled out the blade attachment hole, these are keyed so I could turn  the blade a little, I'm happy with how they look now, but the eduard details for the rotor head to blades were a no go because of this, I'll use what I can from the set though,  any thoughts on the canvas looking covers on the blade ends with the rope attachments I'm thinking foil tape, or tamiya tape at the minute 

As it stands, rotors not yet fixed

qygFAr8.jpg

u8O0PBM.jpg

1QQpBIw.jpg

P1cyy9h.jpg

FL7dVnv.jpg

vurjqhP.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks @Colin W first coat of paint on the rotors, I've had a fair bash at the rats nest of wires, and once glued there are a few more to add, a few places need a fettle now before I go any further with it,  and the beginnings of its base

B3WJY1I.jpg

SgoEMMy.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, helios16v said:

This is freaking lovely.  Makes me want to go pull out a whirlybird.  

Thanks Chris I really appreciate it, although the PE for the rotor fold was totally mind bending, so delicate, there are still more wires to add

On 13/05/2019 at 00:59, trickyrich said:

gee the detailing and quality of work on this model is amazing, great work

Cheers Rich, 48th is more my bag, but I fancy a change every now and then, 

The PE rotor fold, I didn't like the kit blobs of plastic in the cold light of day, so I've gone with a blobs of brass and ca instead 😁

Glynn, mmm a few alterations are needed, I've just found a better picture on the net, doh🙄

si9RXOa.jpg

PbYJloS.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7

Very, very nice work Glynn.

The rotors and their folding mechanisms look great and certainly add an interesting look to the model.

The Sea King rotor head is an unbelievable mass of wiring and hoses and has to be seen at close quarters to be believed and I think you're doing a good job of replicating it, especially in 1/72 scale.

Awesome work mate.

P.S. You at Hinckley on Sunday?

• Thanks 1

I can't do 1/72nd anymore, it's too small and would do my head in. Considering what I do to my builds now.....I may have to move up to 1/32nd! I just have to persuade SWMBO I need to spend more money and need more space! :chair:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

S. You at Hinckley on Sunday?

Glad you like the sea king so far, cheers pal, I most definitely will be at Hinckley  Craig, hope to pick up a couple of kits too, thanks

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

but that PE version is far superior.

....and your 'rat's nest' looks much better than those I've done too

Thanks Andy, but I bet you've noticed clumsy old me has got the two forward rotor folds on the wrong way round🙄, also  the top bits with the holes either side need to be on the blade half of the fold, drat, a few corrections, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to unbond the forward blade folds, still it will look a bit better than the kit parts like you said 👍

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I can't do 1/72nd anymore, it's too small and would do my head in. Considering what I do to my builds now.....I may have to move up to 1/32nd! I just have to persuade SWMBO I need to spend more money and need more space! :chair:

💰😁, I have quite a few 32nd kits in the stash rich, the size of them is a problem for me too for displaying, but, if you go to town on them what would you build? 3 a year, vs 8, 1/48, I'm building a  32nd fly hurricane at the minute for an old fella who has a connection  them,( not a pilot) I'll find out more when I finish it, (very challenging kit) I don't have time for a wip but I'll post the finished model at the end

Back on topic ,  the sea king is a large  model for 72nd

Thanks all

Glynn 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Always on the look out for new plastic, anything in particular you're looking for?

God, how long you got? 😊 Some kits I've been meaning to get for a while , Mig 21 smt revell or eduard , rn lynx 48th, revell 48th raf phantom ( I currently have more phantoms than a haunted graveyard, but no raf one) cheap ,48th tamiya ww2 kits, corsair, mustang, zeros, bufalo, 109 e, etc on the look out for 48th wessex kits, and a gr4 tornado, revell, ( there's one on the bay atm,) kitty hawk su34, (we could be her all night,) and something for the up coming dday build with stripes of course, and most importantly😉, I have to decide what I'm going to build for your 80s front line aisia gb later in the year,  may be I Could squeeze in the new annetra mil mi -17  hip,  research pending, I shall though be building more aircraft, that's for sure, after the tiger group  build

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I have to decide what I'm going to build for your 80s front line aisia gb later in the year

Good man! That's the spirit.

I like the sound of the 1/48 Mi-8, almost the whole region has operated those and it is one of my favourite helicopters as I have survived a flight in one.

I'm thinking of looking for something 1/48 and D-Day'ish myself, if I had the time I would do a small diorama of one of the ALG's (I think it was 6, Carentan) which I seem to remember pics showing a crash-landed RAF Spit Vb next to some parked up USAAF P-47's, with cows wandering amongst them.

• Thanks 1

Glad you like the hip idea, your dio sounds very interesting,spitfires  are always popular, I'm betting there'll be a few striped  mk IX 's too, I'm taking my time deciding, though it will be an aircraft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not certain I'm going to do the diorama due to time constraints, might just do the P-47 as I actually have one in stock.

Lovely, tamiya I Hope? 

• Like 1