Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hewy

Sea king Falklands aew. 2

Recommended Posts

I've made my choice, it's the cyber hobby 72nd scale aew. 2 Falklands 

Boxing, I've got eduard masks, and cockpit, and exterior pe  for it,  hopefully  make a start some time over the weekend

The box art

Cheers 

Glynn 

 

mLG12ZK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome along Glynn and you've bought something quite different, a chopper, the first for this build.

 

I was wondering when or if we'd see a chopper in the build, though I would have expected it to be in the Tank Killer or maybe Ship killer builds. But a AEW one will certainly fit into the ever growing Recon/AWACS/Elint group, which is nice because we normally don't see many of these in GB's

 

Good luck with the build, sounds like you have some nice extras to go with her, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooooh, good luck with your build dude. Do like a Sea King even if it’s a Navy one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along Glynn and you've bought something quite different, a chopper, the first for this build.

 

I was wondering when or if we'd see a chopper in the build, though I would have expected it to be in the Tank Killer or maybe Ship killer builds. But a AEW one will certainly fit into the ever growing Recon/AWACS/Elint group, which is nice because we normally don't see many of these in GB's

 

Good luck with the build, sounds like you have some nice extras to go with her, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

 

55 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Oooooh, good luck with your build dude. Do like a Sea King even if it’s a Navy one. 

 

Thanks @trickyrich and @Hockeyboy76 I picked this up for the princely sum of £13,

Which considering its not everyone's first choice of a sea king, in my book is still well worth a go, I haven't found any bad reviews of the kit, but the go-to revell sk is nearly  twice the price, at  over £20, when you can find one, never liked those  raised rivets though on that one

Edited by Hewy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent choice Glynn, got to love a Sea King!

Very interested to see what you can do with this kit mate.

Thanks Craig, a few bits and bobs to sort out, but fingers crossed I reckon It'll be ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice Glynn,always love to see a Sea King and this version is rarely seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Good to know this subject fits, I’f time allows I’ll enter the new tool airfix as an AEW2 :)

I hope you do stu, I'd like to see the airfix  kit built up to compare, 

Edited by Hewy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hewy said:

I hope you do stu, I'd like to see the airfix  kit built up to compare, 

I'll see your AEW.2(s), and raise you a Revell ASaC.7....

 

Edited by andyf117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I'll see your AEW.2(s), and raise you a Revell ASaC.7....

 

I take it that's what you'll be doing in the gb? If so  I may need to quiz you during the build,  I've just had a look at your previous sea Kings, very nicely finished all of them,  , I look forward to your build , do you have any experience with this cyber hobby kit I've got, (it's my first sea king build since the old airfix mold many moons past,

Cheers 

Glynn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I take it that's what you'll be doing in the gb? If so  I may need to quiz you during the build,  I've just had a look at your previous sea Kings, very nicely finished all of them,  , I look forward to your build , do you have any experience with this cyber hobby kit I've got, (it's my first sea king build since the old airfix mold many moons past,

Cheers 

Glynn 

Just awaiting confirmation that the one I started for the SK STGB back in 2015 qualifies, and if it does, then yes I will...

....and thank you...

....as for the CH kits, I acquired one by way of a trade back before the above-mentioned GB, solely to use as a source of parts for a HC.4 conversion - which I'll still be doing, despite the Airfix HC.4 having come out since, as to my eye a Sea King devoid of rivets just looks wrong...

....my preference remains Revell for Westland variants, and Fujimi for Sikorsky and other licence-built versions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Sea King devoid of rivets just looks wrong...

I agree but in 72nd I think acceptable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a subject I'm delighted to see in the GB. It has just the right air of a typically British budget lash-up that somehow works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Col. said:

This is a subject I'm delighted to see in the GB. It has just the right air of a typically British budget lash-up that somehow works.

Thanks col  I've  amassed every bit of pe available for it, which is quite a lot ,internal, equipment,external,and cockpit and masks.ive been beavering away this last couple of nights and I'll update tomorrow, i must say it is a gorgeous little kit really nicley detailed, alas no raised rivets, but forgivable in  72nd i reckon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thanks col  I've  amassed every bit of pe available for it, which is quite a lot ,internal, equipment,external,and cockpit and masks.ive been beavering away this last couple of nights and I'll update tomorrow, i must say it is a gorgeous little kit really nicley detailed, alas no raised rivets, but forgivable in  72nd i reckon

Should be an epic one to follow count me in sir 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A start on the photo etch, I mentioned earlier that I have all of the eduard sets for this model, interior, exterior, aew equipment, and masks,  it is a wonderfully detailed kit   , I'm impressed, no rivet detail as on  the the revell sea king, but that doesn't bother me in 72nd, 

If any one can give me a heads up on interior colours, seats, floors,  inner sides, I would very much appreciate it, the instructions don't give a lot away here, 

The journey so far

OAPOnvn.jpg

 Sponsons, tail section and undersides are together, you can see here inside the fuselage many ejector pin marks, eduard will be my friend here

PBih2De.jpg

 

JjkohdZ.jpg

 

KkiDfYC.jpg

 I have noticed there is no  cabin roof in the kit which I find a bit strange considering the rest if the nice details, I'll have to cobble something together for that along with a deflated radome cover

YT8xwz2.jpg

 

Any sea kingish tips and pointers will greatly appreciated (and taken on board) 

Thanks

Glynn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Glynn,  some partial internal views below.

yeovil_air_day_2009.jpg

 

 

sea_king_aew.jpg

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Nice etch work there Hewy. This will definitely be a good looking Seaking when you're done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, some nicely done PE work, the model looks to be nicely detailed as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant even fold a sheet so look at your work with a BIG BIG wow .    I had to go back to your box art to confirm its  1/72 scale .

 

Cheers
Alistair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

I cant even fold a sheet so look at your work with a BIG BIG wow .    I had to go back to your box art to confirm its  1/72 scale .

 

Cheers
Alistair

Thanks Alistair, there are some tiny tiny parts, but to be fair the sea king is a pretty large model at 72nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very Nice etch work there Hewy. This will definitely be a good looking Seaking when you're done. 

 

33 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I agree, some nicely done PE work, the model looks to be nicely detailed as well.

Thanks Dennis, rich, I might get round to actual breaking out the plastic glue, as opposed to ca, later today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job on the interior Glynn.

Can't help with pictures of the interior of an AEW 2 unfortunately, might have a couple of Sea King manuals I'm not supposed to have but they only cover the earlier Mk's and more with GA drawings than with photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...